The Cochno stone

Media reports from the scientific and natural world, not specifically about dowsing.
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

The Cochno stone

Post by Ian Pegler » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:28 am

from Mysterious Universe...
Mysterious Rock Carvings From the Past Are Unearthed… Again

... not all of the discoveries taking place in 1887, particularly in Scotland, were innovations of the modern varieties that afford mankind its leisures. In fact, one would hint at some of the strangest mysteries of Europe’s ancient past.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian

Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: The Cochno stone

Post by Grahame » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:46 pm

As reported in The Scotsman: 5000-year-old Cochno Stone carving may be revealed...

on May Miles Thomas' blog The Devil's Plantation,

...and on my own blog at Western Geomancy. 8)
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.

Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:27 pm

Two updated blogs from my website:

https://westerngeomancy.org/recovering-cochno/ Covers the excavation of the Cochno Stone, my speculations on some possible alignments, and an account of the closing ceremony. A version of this appeared in Dowsing Today.

This second blog I wrote after visiting the Peterborough Petroglyphs in Ontario, a similar site to the Cochno Stone. The approach to preservation here has been to cover the rock art with a custom-made building - a similar approach has been suggested for the Cochno Stone. However, as I discovered, it hasn't been entirely successful...
https://westerngeomancy.org/cochno-compared/

Finally, this link will take you to the blog of Kenny Brophy, aka The Urban Prehistorian, who is the Glasgow University archaeologist in charge of the excavation.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:03 pm

So many questions and little or no answers, along the Clyde near Erskine Ferry Road is a very old Sacred Site which I believe was active some 7000 years ago, and I just wonder if the stone was found here before it was moved.If you Google the Cochno Stone its shown to the north some distance now, where I guess its now protected under soil there,I dont know....But this site is very interesting, it has a deep fault line passing under it at 4300 feet from about north, and just to the south is a Holy Well in my opinion only yards away, so who ever placed the Cochno Stone here was very aware of the location I believe.

Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:38 pm

Mike, there are at least 15 other rock art sites in the immediate vicinity of the Cochno Stone, and many more along the north bank of the Clyde out as far as Dumbarton.

The Cochno Stone itself is actually bedrock, so there's no way it could have been moved there!

Although it's been re-buried again, there are moves afoot to do some further excavation around the edges of it next year to see if there is any previously unexposed carvings. There's lots of community engagement happening too, to try and get some investment to manufacture a replica of the stone, visitor centre etc. There's a long way to go, but there is a lot of interest in seeing something happening, so fingers crossed!
Grahame

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:27 pm

The position Google shows the stone is to the north of the Clyde, and it was said the stone was removed to protect it from anyone who might damage or steal from the rock carvings ? I like to think either the place close to the river, or the Google site has the stone now, both places hold wonder and magic for me, a fitting place for it to rest.

Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Another good blog post here from Factum Foundation, who were responsible for the photogrammetry scan of the Cochno Stone. There's a link to that at the bottom of the post.

http://www.factumfoundation.org/pag/252 ... Stone-2016

Meanwhile, local interest is being generated and funding sought to try and upgrade the area around the stone with some country walking trails that will include some of the other surrounding examples of rock art, of which there are about 15. A 'Friends of the Cochno Stone' group has been set up. I'll post a link once they get their website organised.
Grahame

Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:54 pm

A new website has been set up for the 'Friends of the Cochno Stone':

https://cochnostonefriends.wordpress.com/
Grahame