Birds Bathtime.

UFOs, aliens, inter-dimensional beings and general weirdness.... abandon hope, all who enter here. Mike is in charge.
mike
Professional
Professional

Re: Birds Bathtime.

Post by mike »

Thanks Grahame for that,well I believed it,sat most of the night with a box of tissues at hand......Out today at the Slough Park in Coventry car park eating chips and a sausage like you do, and across the road my old friend the Crow with the deformed leg and its partner appeared on the rooftops.I threw loads of chips out the window and the seagulls woofed the lot, but the small female Crow came down and grabbed some of them, the male bird with that frozen leg never came close during this time.I did see it chasing seagulls afterwards but have no idea if it managed to get some of my chips,I just wish I had some more food to throw out, I love that Crow,to manage to find enough food in that condition is a marvel, as its leg is frozen straight down.I noticed today the leg is now shorter, like part has broken off,but when it flies it hangs down like a peg.Both the leg and ankle and toes were all at one time stuck straight down, but now it looks like the leg is shorter above the ankle, which should help it land in trees or on roofs.I saw it on the house roof hop a little to the side, and it had its wings ready above the body to support that move, its a clever Crow for sure and a lucky bird no doubt.Im SO pleased to see it again today,I pray for it often to keep it fed and safe.

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Saw the Crow with the deformed leg in the carpark at the Slough Park Coventry today again when we were eating our chips and sausage, the pair flew to the trees above where we were sitting.The Crow with the bad leg sits holding on with its good leg, but is not very safe looking, and the female I managed to throw some chips close to her, she grabbed at least one which she ate before the sea gulls mobbed her.The male bird called loud above me and flew off, I think telling the female to grab all she could before the sea gulls did !! The male Crow looked fine, and Im sure its frozen leg is much shorter now, I could not see the ankle and toes hanging down like before, Im so glad he is alive and well, it makes me feel good to know that.

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I sat in the car park at the Slough Park today north of Coventry eating our chips and sausage, and a Robin came up to the car to eat a chip I had thrown out which had a black eye in the chip.So I threw more close to the hedge and hoped he found them,no sea gulls today to scoff all the chips I leave for the other birds....On the way out of the car park gate my friend the Crow with the deformed leg flew overhead, so I hope fingers crossed he gets some of those chips meant for him and his female mate.I feel so chuffed to know the Crow is alive and okay, I want to take him home with me, but I know that would not be right.

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Seen the Crow with the deformed leg 3 times this week close to the Slough Park north of Coventry, its warming to see its busy and active flying about, I feel so much for that little chap, against the odds it stays alive and happy with its life I hope.

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Not been able to go far with this virus thing hanging all over us here in the UK.But I noticed the Crows over the road near me are starting to repair the old nest in the trees, I have seen now these last 3 years they repair the old nest and have at least one baby Crow. This stays to help mum the next year at least, staying around to bring food in and watch over the new chick,and this is the case with most Crows.Not been over the Coventry Slough Park to look for the Crow with the deformed leg,we are trying hard to stay at home and keep safe.

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Its about the time now when the Swallows and Swifts return from Africa,I love the Swallows when they pass overhead chatting away to each other,its a wonderful Summer sound.No chance to see if the Crow with the deformed leg is alive and well, we are trying to keep at home and safe from the virus, but I will go and visit when I can.Every year the Swifts have a hard time with nesting, the old houses now are getting plastic soffits and facia panels fitted which stop the Swifts finding nesting holes in the house guttering.Its a big problem for the Swifts, I dont know how to change that around and provide nesting boxes, cannot see me climbing any ladders soon.

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Havent seen a Swallow yet when most years they have arrived from Africa about middle of March, our local Crow seems to be sitting on eggs at the moment, with the male bird coming in often to bring food I believe.The baby from last year is hanging around, but the male bird does not let it come too close when the 3 of them are active.I have seen the baby even beg for food off its mum, and its almost a year old now,but its nice to see the bond they still have.

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I saw two Swifts last week in my ufo pictures, but still no Swallows yet and its gone May, when I normally see Swallows last week of March early April.I feed our birds in the gardens British Finch seed, so all the small birds have something to eat when they have nests and babies to feed.I slow down with the mixed corn as only the pigeons scoff it all,and while Im happy to leave the odd handful out now and then I slowdown feeding in the Summer...And its important to remember dont feed peanuts in the Summer to Bluetits and Long Tailed Tits, as these choke the baby birds, AND always remember buy the SAFE peanuts and NOT the animal feed peanuts from pet shops,the animal feed nuts will kill the Bluetits as they build up toxins in them....I spent a long time feeding our local Bluetits the wrong sort of peanut and killed them without knowing it for months,it broke my heart when I found out.One day I came home to see a Bluetit sitting at the feeder and not moving, I picked it up and it died in my hands, its something I will never forget ever.Even the pet shop never knew the difference and changed to the safe peanuts afterwards, its something people need to know about...Another thing, if you have none stick frying pans NEVER allow them to overheat, they can kill cage birds if they are close to the cooker.The overhot pan will give off gasses that are toxic to cage birds and will kill them,so please be careful with none stick pans.

While I think about it please please be careful when changing your anti freeze in the car, if this spills on the road or drive any ANY pet licking this anti freeze will die a horrible death, YOU must flush it away with soap and water to kill the anti freeze.Animals and birds find the anti freeze nice to lick as its very sweet, but its deadly to them, they die a horrible death with internal organs burnt and they really suffer, a most horrible way to go.

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Really sad story, dont read on if you care about birds....For ages now at least 3 years a pair of Crows have nested across the road in a tree just about 200 yards away, I watch them all the while and feed the birds and the baby which still hangs around here.The large male Crow often comes and eats the suet balls I hang in our trees, along with other birds that drop in.Anyway I have been watching the male Crow flying in to the nest to feed the female which is sitting on eggs now every 15 to 20 minutes all day long, then late at night the pair fly together over the houses as the light fades in the west, its lovely to see this..But Monday just before dark the X wife shouted come quick a cats got a Crow outside, I rushed as fast as I could on my walking stick, just in time to stop the cat killing the Crow in the road, it run off when I shouted.But the large male Crow had now a broken wing which was hanging down the side of it,a terrible thing for any wild bird,and a death sentence really. I tried to reach the Crow but it jumped and hopped away from me going down our road and under a parked car at the end,I could never have caught it or lifted it as I cannot bend over now, my back and legs are gone.It was dark as I struggled home on my stick, but I never slept a wink thinking about what just happened, or the rest of this week.
I looked down the road and round the estate for any sign of the injured Crow the next day and could not find it, but Wednesday I saw a Crow next door sitting on the fence, I was just driving out to get my pills from the chemist, but I went indoors and got some bread which I put near this bird.I did my shopping and come home, but the Crow and the bread were gone already.Just then the lady came out and said the Crow comes every day to drink water in her garden, and it had a broken wing, and just hopped and jumps about to get along,I put more food out where she said it hides during the day, it was a little private car park across the road from me,AND right under the tree where its partner was sitting on eggs, I filled up with tears, its bond was still so strong even after that injury to walk back to be near the nest.Each day it would come out for a short while to feed on the bread the cottage pie with meat I had put out for it,it was a situation I had little control over and really could do little about.You need a special licence to keep any wild bird, and how was I going to catch it,things did not look very good at all,each night it haunted me what might happen.
Then Thursday when people were outside clapping for the NHS the Crow walked past them all and hopped down the road, I grabbed my zimmer frame which I hate and went outside in front of everyone to feed the bird, it hopped away but I followed and when it stopped under a parked car I put down my food, and the owner came out and I explained what had happened.The Crow hopped off again at speed I could not follow, so I stood and watched him, with other people now aware of the Crow they managed to corner him in a garage and catch him, but did he fight, such pluck and strong will, a lady said she would take him to a chap in Nuneaton who cares for wild injured birds to see what could be done, I was very grateful for that.
Just this morning when I was getting out of the car the mother Crow landed and called out on the shed roof where the male Crow was hiding all this week,it really really is hard to witness this,the pair of Crows have such a bond between them,even love if you want to call it that, so hard to experience for me, I have a tear in my eyes thinking about this, nature is so wonderful and sometimes so cruel.I dont now what will happen today with the Crow,I just wish I was more mobile than I am,I would never allow any harm to come to this bird,so proud and strong enough to overcome anything this Crow, just like the Crow over the Slough Park with the deformed frozen leg, nothing stops it.I pray it will have a long and happy life, perhaps in a cage but safe now and in no danger,thats all I can wish for.

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I lost a post but will do it again,no news of how the Crow is or what happened when he went to the Nuneaton bird chap. I called up the image of him in my minds eye and tried to link with its soul,and I get a powerful calm and peace,which is not what I wanted to feel at all. So I fear the worst, it’s not the Crow I know, My Crow was a fighter and I called him Winston after Churchill,he never let anything stop him or get in his way....I hope I get better news soon,I will post here what happens,I have prayed so hard and long for this little bird my heart hurts,he deserves all the help people can offer.

simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

For what it's worth...my experience when trying to "contact" a bird or animal is that sometimes we connect with the group, or tribe, rather than the individual we seek. I guess it's something to do with these creatures not having an ego such as we do.
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I think if you hold that bird or animal or person in your minds eye it does focus your thoughts,so linking and seeking them out becomes easier.I use this method to pass on good wishes and prays to improve their problems,this I feel does work.Even to the point of working country wise,sending your thoughts to a very large area,where help is needed,like this corvid19 problem or Black Water Lines see Alf Riggs on the Internet Noxious lines

mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Female Crow busy feeding at the nest over the road,I hope she does not get worn out alone now caring for the baby Crow.No news of the Male Crow with the broken wing,things are not good at home just now so I'm busy with the family situation.