which dowsing tool is most commonly used?

Discuss your favourite dowsing tools and techniques here.

which dowsing tool do you use?

pendulum
51%
l-rods
26%
y-rods
3%
u-rods
No votes
aura meters
9%
deviceless
6%
something else
6%

Total votes: 35

shops239

which dowsing tool is most commonly used?

Post by shops239 »

i want to find out which dowsing tool is most commonly used
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: which dowsing tool is most commonly used?

Post by Grahame »

shops239 wrote:i want to find out which dowsing tool is most commonly used

You might have to rephrase the question in that case. I use aurameter, pendulum, L-rods and deviceless dowsing. I don't use Y-rods - they're too dangerous! ;). Haven't tried a U-rod.
Probably my most common tool is the pendulum, but the aurameter is my tool of choice in the field, sometimes L-rods and often deviceless.
You could also add 'geodetic rod' as it's still popular with some, although I guess that's covered with 'something else'.
Strange... I thought I'd replied to this earlier today but it seems to have vanished...
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Re: which dowsing tool is most commonly used?

Post by Ian Pegler »

Grahame Gardner wrote:You might have to rephrase the question in that case
It would be nice to have a poll where you could select multiple options, but we don't seem to have that facility at the moment.

I also use lots of different rods, a lot of them home made. I also have the BSD copper L-rods and Hamish Miller's steel-forged L-rods.

What you use depends on the situation. You wouldn't want to take a fragile little crystal pendulum up Glastonbury Tor when it's blowing a gale.

I have made an extended pocket which is quite robust and can carry a selection of rods. If I'm going out somewhere I can affix this extended pocket to my belt. This means that no matter what the situation I always have a choice of rods.

Even more portable, I have a good-sized metal pencil-case which I use to carry miniature dowsing devices, including a Geodetic and an Oasis (both home made) and a thin piece of guitar wire.

I also make my own pendulums and L-rod handles on a lathe.

Ian
Last edited by Ian Pegler on Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Williamson

Post by Peter Williamson »

I generally confine myself to a pendulum for 'yes/no' situations, and an aurameter for locating and following energy lines when working on-site. I also go deviceless on occasions, even when I have tools to hand. I would love to be able to do yes/no dowsing with fingers, eyebrows etc but I haven't managed it yet - partly at least due to lack of perseverance!
shops239

Post by shops239 »

i am finding my new brass pendulum (spiral shaped) a lot esier and i get better answers from it... i wonder why... i have only been dowsing for 2 weeks now but i think i am getting the hang of it :?
i wish i had a teacher or someone to learn from... because i dont know if i am doing it right...

i know i have been told not to doubt myself in dowsing but a little bit of me says that i am doing it completely wrong

plz help!?!?!
mistweave

Post by mistweave »

I've voted in your poll and said 'pendulum', but I too use L rods and rely quite often on deviceless dowsing, it all depends on the situation.

I'd love to own an aurameter but suspect they are quite expensive to buy?
Also, gadgets.... I swing between thinking its a great idea to work with something which helps us to focus or tune in more accurately, and feeling that its 'better' to use no devices at all. Still haven't decided so I do both :!:
Donata

Post by Donata »

The aurameter looked interesting, so I purchased one recently. Now I'm not sure what to do with it! Any tips?

So I continue to use my trusy pendulums - I carry a small metal one from the local Dowser chapter (that's in WesternNY).

I also use the body sway, standing up, asking myself a question and allowing my body to sway to give me the answer. I've tried the thumbs and first finger link but I'm not sure if I'm being objective with it.

Donata
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Hi Donata;

Nice to hear from you.
The aurameter is a great tool; I'm very fond of mine and use it as my tool of choice in the field. But they are a bit tricky to get the hang of. Practice with it in the most sensitive position, which is with the weighted end in line with the sprung wire. Hold the aurameter comfortably in your hand - either palm down or palm up, whichever feels best - and lift the tip up until just before it overbalances. That's the most sensitive position, best for subtle energy stuff.
For water, try folding the weighted end down slightly. This makes it less sensitive but you still get good reactions from water.
It's great for finding edge lines and following them and can be surprisingly reactive - mine actually vibrates in my hand with a strong signal!
There is a book available from the BSD shop called 'The Cameron Aurameter in Action'. It's a little quirky, but it's about the only printed instructions available AFAIK.
Last edited by Grahame on Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.

Post by Guest »

Hi Grahame,

Thaks for the suggestions. I'll order the book.

When my aurameter came it was folded, that is, the long rod connecting the handle and spring, and the part connecting the spring and bobbing end. were bent to fit into the shipping envelope. The pictures of them show the rod as straight. Should I straighten out my rod, or is this not important?

Thanks,
Donata
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Donata wrote:When my aurameter came it was folded, that is, the long rod connecting the handle and spring, and the part connecting the spring and bobbing end. were bent to fit into the shipping envelope. The pictures of them show the rod as straight. Should I straighten out my rod, or is this not important?
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly - do you mean that part of the wire spring is bent? The device folds to fit into your pocket our the pouch that it should have come with (at least mine did!). To use it, hold the handle with the two screws on the bottom (where the spring is connected), and the long bit of wire with the bobber points upwards at about 45 degrees. You can see it in the picture on the sales page, although the index finger in that photo is held way too far forwards - you should keep it back on the handle so that it doesn't interfere with the spring part. Hope that makes sense! :D
Grahame
Romaine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Romaine »

On the website: http://www.leylijnen.com/index2.htm is published some dowsing instruments. Pendulum, L-rod, Y-rod, V-rod, but also other exist like the bobber and the lecher aerial.

My question is what a u-rod is and what aura meters are?

Can you tell me, have you an example picture?

Thanks!
Romaine
Romaine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Romaine »

Sorry, missed something.
The Cameron Aurameter looks the same as what we call in the Netherlands a Bobber (in Dutch: biotensor).

Thank you, but do still want to know what a u-rod is.

Romaine
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

The aurameter is a development of the basic bobber; the spring is also pivoted so that it can move side to side. It's a bit like a combination of bobber and L-rod.
I found this description of the U-rod on http://www.diviningmind.com/nov16_2000.html:
" ...U-rod is a dowsing tool consisting of a wooden handle and metal
u-shaped loop attached to it that is used in a similar fashion to
L-rods. It requires only one hand to operate and makes it easier
to work in confined areas and in difficult terrain when you may
need a free hand. It's very sensitive and responsive."

So it's like an L-rod that folds back on itself in a vertical plane.
Grahame
Romaine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Romaine »

Thank you, but the description says nothing for me, I'd like to see one on a photo or something, then I get a better idea how it works. And then I can make one myself.
Romaine

Post by Guest »

L-rods