Was Uffington White Horse really a unicorn?

Other news items of interest (aka Ian's Corner).
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

from the Telegraph...

A historical campaign group has launched a £50,000 bid to have the world famous Uffington White Horse made into a unicorn.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Was Uffington White Horse really a unicorn?

Post by Grahame »

Now that is interesting, although she doesn't seem to present much evidence to support her unicorn theory. It's interesting because Billy Gawn told me once on an EEG visit to Uffington that he is also of the opinion that it was a unicorn, and says that you can actually dowse the position and size of the horn.
Anyone nearby who'd care to check that out for us?
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

While researching material for my new book The Rowan Tree I discovered the amazing story of Dragon Hill, which is next to the Uffington Horse and is said to be the spot where Saint George slew the dragon
I sensed a plug?... :-)

It could be a unicorn, or another mythical creature that time has forgot. If this is the case, and all of the others are horses then this is interesting. In reference to the dowsing Graham, when we visited it was very difficult to get down to it and when we did we wasnt really sure which bit was what! Maybe a google earth recon needed as prep!

I like the nasca lines, this one has always intrigued me:

best wishes

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

My two cents:

Regardsless of whether or not it was a unicorn, I think the Uffington White Horse should be left exactly as it is and should not be altered or defaced in the name of someone's theory.

And let's be honest, it is just a theory - and theories are two-a-penny. Anyone can have a theory.

There's been enough vandalism of ancient sites already, we should be more concerned with the presevation of what's left, rather than mucking about with an iconic symbol, famous all over the world.

Consider: how much damage has been done to ancient sites in the name of "restoration"?

Ian
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

Uffington White Horse re-chalked by volunteers
On the BBC website
More than 100 people are taking part in the re-chalking of the Uffington White Horse.
The 3,000-year-old Oxfordshire landmark is fully-booked for visitors to take turns restoring it in 30-minute slots.
Advice and equipment is being provided by National Trust staff at the site.
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon