Hosting images on the forum.

Suggestions for other forum features or categories.
SparkTalker
Beginner
Beginner

Hosting images on the forum.

Post by SparkTalker »

Just a thought, it would be handy to be able to upload image files to the site and have them hosted here rather than have to rely on remote hosting.

I was looking back through one of my old posts on here and I noticed the images had gone (since I no longer hold that particular domain).

As I said, just a thought.

Mark...
"Responses are limited, you must ask the right questions."
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Hosting images on the forum.

Post by Grahame »

SparkTalker wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:40 pm Just a thought, it would be handy to be able to upload image files to the site and have them hosted here rather than have to rely on remote hosting.
Yes it would, wouldn't it? However, hosting images eats up a lot of storage space and bandwidth, which costs money. That's the main reason why most forums including this one don't allow you to do so. More information can be found in this thread.

I pay for the hosting of this website out of my own pocket, and it would soon get too expensive for me to maintain if I started to allow image hosting on the forum; so sorry, Mark, it's not going to happen! :lol:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
SparkTalker
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Hosting images on the forum.

Post by SparkTalker »

Nicely explained. ;)

I would say that all of the forums I've funded and run in the past I did have picture hosting (as well as most other upload attachment file types). Unless folks are trying to attach RAW image files (which are huge!), JPGs and the like do not take up too much space or bandwidth really. I would guess from your comments that the hosting package you have subscribed to is somewhat limited?

There are so many hosting providers out there these you will always find someone with a better offer. More bandwidth, more disc space, almost unlimited SQL accounts and email accounts.

It's well worth 'shopping around' from time to time just to see what the competition has on offer. :D

I fully understand the costs involved, having ran a number of (non dowsing) websites before. Even the forum script itself was a commercial one (written by Invision (Invision Community) for at least one site I supported, though I have used free open source ones too (such as the PHPBB script you use for this site). Again, all of the sites had custom themes/skins, which again added to the cost, plus various novel bespoke add-ons.

As mobile phones and tablets became more popular for viewing websites and 'surfing' in general, I then had to take on board 'responsive' website designs with liquid layouts. Mind you, I think my background in Electronics Engineering helped give me a head start with much of the coding side of things! ;)

Mark...
"Responses are limited, you must ask the right questions."