Online training for dowsers - any thoughts?

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!
ddefries

Online training for dowsers - any thoughts?

Post by ddefries »

Hi Everyone.
I was wondering if any formum member has explored some of the online training options that are being touted, and, if so, what they think about them.
The timing seems to be all wrong for me to attend workshops / classes / tuition at the moment, and before I venture into an online course I thought I'd throw the idea out there to see whether anyone responds.
(I've been dowsing for a very long time and have taken some rather inspirational training, but currently feel the need for more guidance).
Thanks in anticipation!
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Online training for dowsers - any thoughts?

Post by Grahame »

It's something that we've discussed several times at the BSD, and I know a lot of people are doing it now. It's questionable how much you can actually teach without one-on-one Skype sessions, and even then it would be difficult to assess a student's ability with anything other than a pendulum. How would you demonstrate/assess dowsing performance at finding something outdoors for example?

I think it has a place, but I remain unconvinced that it is a viable substitute for attending a course where you can get direct experience at working with a dowser in the field.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
DarkChestofWonders
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DarkChestofWonders »

IMHO books and reading through an online course will only take you so far, if the online course has homework or exercises to practice so much the better for this is what we are all aiming for, more practical experiences.

Personally I prefer to go on courses, as there you have more people asking questions (that you may not have thought of) and the BSD tutors are very knowledgeable, experienced and normally have an answer for most eventualities. An added bonus is that you get to meet them as well as new acquaintances of all abilities.

The best part for me was getting outside dowsing in the field with an expert who can show you or talk you through the practical side of things.
I also find the BSD local and National events very worthwhile. If you haven't been to any of these why not give it a try.

If you are on a budget you would have to work out the total cost for online courses as some of them have separate prices for particular aspects of their course, whichever way you choose you are really paying for information in one form or another.
Sometimes things have to be believed to be seen
ddefries

Post by ddefries »

Thanks for posting in response to my query.
My feeling was that the benefits of online training would be quite limited, even with homework / exercises / coursework being set.
The issue is not so much money (although that is always an important consideration), but rather one of timing - there aren't that many courses listed on the BSD site and those I may like to attend often coincide with other commitments!
I guess life is like that!!
Thanks again.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Hi,

Havent got time to address too much but;

I see no evidence that dowsing is genetic, or cannot be learnt.

I have not come across anybody who cannot move the rods, but its more about learning to use them
To make use of the skill. Even the most skeptikal of ppl can get a response, its what they choose to
Do that makes a difference.

For me (completely theoretical), I think our anscestors could dowse (not actually dowsing but more knowing what they needed to know - evolutionary), its there because we needed to do it in as much knowing where water was in terms of instinct/ survival. At some point this became an art and as perception evolved and we questioned what things are etc, this became more than instinctive, it stands to reason that dowsing became more difficult and will do the more we develop our brains.

Its possible and likely that some take to dowsing more than others, its almosy impossible to state why, the variables are too many, but keeping things simple plays a part. I also think we only use dowsing tools because of the nature of our evolution, we are the tool and it really is that simple for me.

I also think the basis of dowsing is found in nature, and in other races subject to evolutiinary circumstances where dowsing increases survival and other evolutionary traits. The way that birds navigate for instance could hold insight into our own capabilities, but dowsing is not neccessary we have evolved beyond it, that doesnt mean it doesnt work or can and should

be employed in modern society :-)

Best

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

In light of the current situation with COVID-19, this thread looks a bit prescient!

Disclaimers regarding efficacy of online training vs. 'hands-on' experiential training aside, many of us are being forced into looking at online classes purely as a way of getting some income. Although there are clearly limitations, there is still a lot that can be imparted in an online seminar situation, and it's a lot easier nowadays with tools like Zoom and GoToMeeting etc.

Even conferences are being forced into 'virtual' territory - the recent ASD convention had to switch to an online format (with mixed success, I hear), and the forthcoming West Coast Conference on 3-7 July 2020 is not only virtual, but completely free! (Whether that's a good thing or not is another story - how much do we value our work?)

I'm working on a few online classes myself, and Patrick MacManaway has been running a series of moderately priced classes.

We may not like it, but it does seem like the way forward at the moment.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I agree the best way to learn is with a class or group going out and getting experience that way, BUT with things the way they are with Corvid we cannot really take a chance with other people around us, so on line could be the way to go to break the ice and learn the basics that way. Its possible to increase your ability with the more work you do, okay you will have a few knock backs but that makes you look at new ways to approach dowsing, and I always say the more you dowse the better you get, so keep busy while you cannot get out much for the day when you can visit ancient sites and exciting places. Dowsing is like climbing a ladder, you HAVE to start at the bottom and work your way up, just dont fall off if things dont work okay at the start, slow and steady wins the race every time.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

A thought I had last night in bed prompted me to post this, ANY dowsing you do its like opening a magical box to other worlds and places, SO always but always protect before you start dowsing.In the logical world we live in demons and thoughts of mystic power seem a long way off,but things we dont fully understand or have knowledge of exists just a breath away, and dowsing does open the doors to these places where pure logic goes out of the window.I ask all people who want to dowse or learn dowsing to ensure you stay safe, and protect and ask for help and protection from higher forces of good to watch over you and keep you safe from all places of darkness and evil.I dont wish to upset folk or worry them from learning to dowse, far from it, but be aware you are stepping on soft ground and need to take care, forces for both good and bad exist and will be alerted to folk dowsing, so heed the warning please.And most of all enjoy dowsing, its a fun thing first and foremost, so enjoy and open your mind to unknown things, tred soft at first till you can run with the best of them,it does not come easy for many people, just ask simple questions to start and build to more complex things later, good luck to all.