Water In Granite.

for matters relating to dowsing for water supplies including wells, boreholes, heat pumps and other services.
black.mac

Water In Granite.

Post by black.mac »

After drilling several bores into Granite (solid), would be interested to hear any comments on dowsing sucess in Granite, etc etc.
Pauline Roberts

Granite

Post by Pauline Roberts »

Hi Black Mac

These days I work primarily in basalt (Liverpool Ranges, NSW) but have passed your details to a mate of mine in NSW who dowses in a more granity area.

My limited work in granite has shown that unless you can dowse a joint or fault within the rock, the chances of water are low since it is essentially non-porous, unless very old and detrital. Certainly quantities seem to be lower (going by New England results), say 100 - 500 g/hr rather than the 1000+ g/hr on a good day in basalt. The upside is that bores above 100ft are common, whereas I work 150ft+ Of course, granites are laid down and weathered differently so none of this might be applicable to your situation in Victoria.

In any rock, there is always the hazard of dry fissures holding what seems to me to be the 'memory of water' and this happens in basalt and granite in my experience. Another diviner in FNQ reports she's getting this more and more as the water is exhausted up there after many years of severe drought and a lot of over-using and mining activity. She works in both granite and basalt and finds the granite can be "mighty confusing".

This 'memory of water' seems to act to the rod for all intents and purposes like a water-producing vein, but there's none to be found. The other explanation is that I'm just plain wrong on those occasions of course.

I find no correlation between the strength of the pull and the amount of water, in either strata, but that might just be me. What I do find is that the harder the rock in which the water is to be found, the stronger and sharper the response. So if I'm working in basalt and I get a strong, sharp response, I know I'm working with a discrete fissure that has definite margins, whereas if the response is softer (for want of a better word) I know it'll be filtering through a larger area of broken rock and advise the driller accordingly.

I trust this has been of some help and wish you the best down there.

Kind regards

Pauline Roberts
black.mac

Post by black.mac »

Thanks for the mail Pauline.
You seem to be getting the same results in granite as I do. I agree wholeheartedley that one must dowse for fracturing in this rock.Just because the rod indicates water, "It 'aint necessarily so." I have long felt that I am either dowsing "Remnance" or possibly a signature effect left by some previous diviner.This last has happened to me on a couple of occasions.

In regard to remnance, I have on occasion drilled 2-300 feet in shales and sandstones and on reaching the target area the returns consist of water worn material (But no water!) which would indicate that there was water there at one time, but due to shifts in the strata etc it has long gone.

Basalt, of course is something else again and I have a very good success rate with it. Best Regards, black.mac
Pauline Roberts

Post by Pauline Roberts »

Hi Black Mac

I couldn't agree more, remnance was the word I was searching for and I have yet to devise a fool-proof test to disregard it. But I'll keep at it!

As for the energy effect left by other dowsers, yes it's very real and when I get to a site, I always ask that my dowsing be free from any thoughts, results or conclusions of any previous dowsers or other interested parties. It's just too easy to find what someone else has, particularly if their thought forms are strong.

Although I haven't had to do this because of remnance as yet (because we've struck water further down as I usually go for a site with more than one source), I have diverted in veins by intent where we haven't got the quantity of water expected. I am waiting for quantity feedback on one at the moment, where the owner actually dreamt that there was a stream bending into his bore whilst he was on a trip to America! I would have been working on it at around the same time, although he couldn't have known. Sometimes this all gets very Alice in Wonderwell-land but if it works, then I must accept it. (And to be fair, it's fairly standard practice amongst US dowsers!!) My point is of course, that as long as it's not been backfilled, I'd have a go at diverting any available streams into a dry bore caused by remnance.

Basalt, has its moments, but yes, it's nice to work in! Maybe it's the energy associated with this more paramagentic material. (Although certain igneous granites can have paramag properties too).

Kind regards

Pauline