Nanteos Cup - the Welsh Holy Grail

Other news items of interest (aka Ian's Corner).
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Nanteos Cup - the Welsh Holy Grail

Post by Ian Pegler »

(two topics merged - GG)

from the Western Mail...
THE allure of the Holy Grail has fascinated writers and ensnared knights for more than 1,000 years.

From Malory to Monty Python, the eternal chalice “said to be the very cup from which Jesus drank at the last supper“ has become enshrined as one of popular culture's most spiritual icons.
CLICK HERE to read more.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Re: Welsh claim to origins of the Holy Grail

Post by Ian Pegler »

Another, almost identical article from the same newspaper...two for the price of one !

And the title is...

wait for it...

The Dai Vinci Code - Wales' claim to Grail

:roll: :oops: :cry:

CLICK HERE to read it...

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

from Wales Online...
Welsh mansion brought back to life as a hotel

Thirty acres of grounds, a £4.5m refurbishment and an idyllic location are not the only assets of Nanteos Mansion near Aberystwyth, reports Rachael Misstear

IT is an iconic Welsh manor house, which for centuries has been at the centre of Wales' claim to the Holy Grail.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

When I was 17 & sitting my A Levels, one of the questions was to write a description of a recently read book; I used The Holy Grail as my book & wrote a good spiel on it.
I have no memory now of which version it was (it was a loooong time ago!!) but it obviously impressed me, and I got great marks for it!! :mrgreen:
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Nanteos Cup STOLEN

Post by Ian Pegler »

from Wales Online...
Police operation launched after priceless Welsh relic, thought to be the 'Holy Grail' is stolen

A major police hunt is underway after burglars raided a home and stole a priceless Welsh relic - said to be the mythical 'Holy Grail'.

Ian
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Re: Nanteos Cup STOLEN

Post by Lyndon Ronstadt »

Quick, call in the dowsers. I dowse it's currently in the Aberystwyth area and that it was stolen to order.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

from Mysterious Universe...
Researchers in England analyzed it and determined that it’s a mazer bowl, a medieval container made from Wych Elm in the 14th century. It doesn’t appear to have any healing powers, which was probably apparent to believers who chewed it down from its original 12cm by 12cm to 10cm by 8.5cm. Despite being an impostor, it’s still a famous artifact and the local police are continuing their search for it.
Perhaps one might help to clear up the massively factually inaccurate reports now circulating everywhere just a tad...

Antiquarians have always said that the Nanteos Cup is a mediaeval mazer bowl. They've been saying it since the 19th Century.

Mazer bowls are usually made of maple (the word mazer comes from German, speckled, marked) although other woods are sometimes used.

Researchers in England have not analysed it at all - Wales is not in England!

A small contingent of biologists and forestry commission bods (whose names we don't even know) apparently glanced at it towards the end of August in 1977 over two days and apparently said it was made of wych-elm. They did not attempt to date the wood scientifically. All this is documented in an incredibly slim report which took nearly 8 years to produce. I have read it - it is not a scientific report by any means. It was written by a retired civil servant (now deceased) who formerly worked at the Royal Commission for Ancient Monuments based in Aberystwyth, by the name of Douglas Bland Hague.

You won't find a single line about the "scientific dating" of the Nanteos Cup in any science journal.

There are certainly testimonies to the curative powers of the cup, many of these are kept with the Cup - or were, before it was half inched. These go back to at least the 19th Century.

I will be giving a talk to the West Wales Dowsers on the 27th, which will include a good bit about the Nanteos Cup.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

I decided to link the Daily Mail version of the story, as it is slightly more accurate than the rest and doesn't ignore the human aspect of the story, which is far more important IMHO.
Burglars stole priceless medieval chalice thought to be the Holy Grail after the elderly lady who protected it for 25 years left the house overnight for the first time
  • Artefact was stolen from Weston-under-Penyard in Herefordshire
  • Fiona Mirylees, 69, given chalice and had been in the family for generations
  • She left home overnight for the first time in 25 years to go to hospital
  • One neighbour said she is ‘reclusive’ and spent ‘years protecting it’
  • Was previously held at the Nanteos Mansion near Aberystwyth in Wales
  • Water drunk from the wooden chalice is said to have healing powers

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

The Daily Mail wrote:The cup was featured on Channel 5 documentary The Search for the Holy Grail: The True Story, in which it was examined by the Commissioner for Monuments in Wales.

He concluded it was made from Wych Elm wood, typical of a medieval bowl and was actually at least 500-years-old, making it at least 1,400 years after the crucifixion.
Rubbish - no examination is shown in the documentary. There is/was no such person as "The Commissioner for Monuments in Wales".

Ian
Malcolm
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Malcolm »

Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

The term refers to the members of the board, not any special individual, and in any case Douglas Hague's job title until the day he retired was "Investigator". I went down to the
RCAHMW and asked - I was told that he was never on the board.

There are four obits online for Douglas Hague which you will find HERE.

If you want to read what he put in his report CLICK HERE.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

"Holy Grail" mentioned on Crimewatch !

BBC iPlayer link (so not visible in some places and it won't stay up for long...)

It's at 20:56

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... h-22072014

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

The Crimewatch appeal page is at this link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/profile ... rail-theft

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

found a YouTube link for the Crimewatch item on the Nanteos Cup ...

Ian
Last edited by Grahame on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added media embed codes
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Some excellent close-up shots of the Nanteos Cup on this YouTube video
(apologies for double posting, but it makes sense)

Ian
Last edited by Grahame on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added media embed codes