Archeo-dowsing

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Archeo-dowsing

Post by ledgehammer »

Hi,

I am looking for any studies which show archeological dowsing to have been succesfull to the actual archeology found at a site. Any personal experience also would be welcomed,

Many thanks

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Filternozzle

Re: Archeo-dowsing

Post by Filternozzle »

Have you managed to gain the information you were looking for? It's a shame no response on this site, I would have thought this the best place to find out but obviously not.
Keep it simple.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Filternozzle wrote:Have you managed to gain the information you were looking for? It's a shame no response on this site, I would have thought this the best place to find out but obviously not.
Filternozzle,

thanks for your response, I have to agree normally a range of response comes from topics, I guess there is little concern to proove that dowsing works in an archeological medium. I have some friends who are sceptical about archeo-dowsing, where they almost agree that one can search for a target, while the target is unknown it remains to be more challenging, I have read some cases online which are intriguing. I have dowsed with an archeological dowsing group, but with nothing to compare the results to. It was netherless very interesting...

I aim to conduct a few experiments of my own, and will publish accordingly, well that is if anyone is interested

best wishes

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

Would you include this thread as relevant?
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Simon,

many thanks,and yes, I did read your post, would be good to hear updates and more info about this group

:-)

Tom
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Hi Tom
ledgehammer wrote:I guess there is little concern to proove that dowsing works in an archeological medium.
...or there aren't many archaeology dowsers on this forum, which I have to say has been a bit quiet of late.

One well known archaeology dowser was former president Major General Scott Elliot who wrote Dowsing One Man's Way which contains some of his case studies. Also there's Professor Richard Bailey's very extensive Dowsing and Church Archaeology. I make reference to both works in Valle Crucis and the Grail, Chapter 5 (which you've bought) which has some of my own exploits, as you know.

The work being undertaken by Hugo Jenks is also very interesting. He has a device which electronically records the swing of a dowsing rod, similar to an L-rod and combines it with GPS data, stores it all on a laptop with custom-built software which can plot where he's walked, similar to a GPS "track" but with a colour representation showing which way the rod was swinging at each point along the way.

Here is a direct VIDEO link of a presentation. Sorry about the music (I didn't do it).

Why not contact Sue Brown of the Archaeology Dowsing Special Interest Group? Also we now have local affiliated groups which are devoted purely to Archaeology Dowsing. I'm sure they could tell you more.

Ian
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Ian Pegler wrote:Hi Tom
ledgehammer wrote:I guess there is little concern to proove that dowsing works in an archeological medium.
...or there aren't many archaeology dowsers on this forum, which I have to say has been a bit quiet of late.

One well known archaeology dowser was former president Major General Scott Elliot who wrote Dowsing One Man's Way which contains some of his case studies. Also there's Professor Richard Bailey's very extensive Dowsing and Church Archaeology. I make reference to both works in Valle Crucis and the Grail, Chapter 5 (which you've bought) which has some of my own exploits, as you know.

The work being undertaken by Hugo Jenks is also very interesting. He has a device which electronically records the swing of a dowsing rod, similar to an L-rod and combines it with GPS data, stores it all on a laptop with custom-built software which can plot where he's walked, similar to a GPS "track" but with a colour representation showing which way the rod was swinging at each point along the way.

Here is a direct VIDEO link of a presentation. Sorry about the music (I didn't do it).

Why not contact Sue Brown of the Archaeology Dowsing Special Interest Group? Also we now have local affiliated groups which are devoted purely to Archaeology Dowsing. I'm sure they could tell you more.

Ian
Ian,

many thanks,

will check out the references in your book again. Thanks for the info, I am joining the local archeo group, just wanted to ask an open question on here...

best wishes

Tom
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Would any Archaeology group digging any site be happy to take directions/comments from a dowser and work with them..I think the only people who would do that are those on the fringe who would be grateful for any help since they are on the fringe and outside the accepted main stream archaeological diggings.The only chance is to find someone who would take you along to try dowsing and then spend time checking your results, and when perhaps they have faith you can find things take you along to more important sites, and after word has spread you can do what it says on the box invite you to further bigger digs.Look at any Archaeological programme on TV and show me where they talk of the Earth Forces involved with this or that site,you NEVER hear the word earth forces on site, its always half the story you are shown, what you see is for them all there is..Till someone who has faith in any dowser or can dowse themselve is allowed to explore sites with this open mind and NOT what he learnt in Oxford or Cambridge history books, then dowsing will always be looked down on, when did you last see a dowser working with the TIME TEAM,or any of the historical programmes of digs at Stonehenge or any other ancient site of importance..Its not everyones cup of tea to work in this way but Im sure plenty of dowsers could help at digs to look for walls or items buried long ago, but first the ice HAS TO BE BROKEN.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

mike wrote:Would any Archaeology group digging any site be happy to take directions/comments from a dowser and work with them..I think the only people who would do that are those on the fringe who would be grateful for any help since they are on the fringe and outside the accepted main stream archaeological diggings
Not so, mike. Not so at all. You'd be surprised what goes on. We just don't talk that openly about it because of the skeptics.
when did you last see a dowser working with the TIME TEAM
Hamish Miller appeared on Time Team some years back. Okay, quite a few years back, but it happened.

Ian
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Yes I did see that programme about Cornish Fuguos (underground tunnels, not sure of the spelling) and it was good, Hamish never hit the nail on the head but I was happy he had a go anyway.All forms of dowsing need time to allow the mind and brain of the dowser to absorb and ask the right questions, that way you dont walk into an unknown situation, but have some experience of that situation before the testing occures.I believe every dowser builds a mental picture of the problem he is about to dowse and draws on his previous experience with that situation, so the second or third time around you are getting very aware of the conditions and much better able to produce good results on site.Okay you cannot have full knowledge of every situation you might be called to dowse out, but one thing does lead to another, and you build a very precise picture/image of whats needed to dowse good results allowing for the odd difference at the new site.Time spent dowsing is never a bad thing,it charges your brain/mind to conditions that change and increase and decrease depending on where you are, the Moon phases, and how you might be feeling on the day,too much dowsing drains you over a prelonged period I believe, so little and often is the trick 8) Any offer on this forum Im always happy to Google the site and post what I believe is of value to any Archeo people asking for help, the more those chaps find us helping with a problem the better I feel,its breaking the ice and could lead to a direct request for help sometime in the future.But who do you go to when you are dowsing something of interest like a Roman Villa and possible Roman treasure in a field someplace,if you emailed them they would NOT ANSWER your mail I bet, not that I have gone that far yet....Do we have some Archeo people that are tame, well at least able to talk with you and offer advice on how to open a line of research with a possible site of interest ? That would be a very good way to push forward and get things moving, and would benefit everyone dowsers and Archeo types alike. 8) Im sure at the end of the day they think of us dowsers much like we think of them Archeo types, dont call us we will call you, so anyway to break the ice has to be a step forward in the right direction,might even forget what they did to Silbury Hill, but that might be asking too much straight off :mrgreen:
Norfolk

Post by Norfolk »

I have found walls by dowsing, so it is possible!
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Norfolk wrote:I have found walls by dowsing, so it is possible!
Thankyou for that elaborate post ;-)

care to speculate on that?

Tom
EEL
Beginner
Beginner

Post by EEL »

I have recently been doing quite a bit of archaeo-dowsing alongside energy line dowsing at neolithic/bronze age sites.Understanding what these structures where used for ( how people used to benifit from the strong earth energies found there) is a quest of mine, so any information regarding the original, undamaged form of these structures is helpfull.Alignments of unopened passage cairns can be determined and the hieght, thickness and orientation of (original, now missing) walls and ancillary structures like menhirs can be found.Being a bit of a fan of astro-archaeology these disoveries can reveal alignments that are not visible or are a bit sketchy.Asking specific questions about particular areas and dating the different components can help establish the sequence of construction, as some of these 'temple's were built over hundreds of years and were used and adapted for thousands of years after. I am interested in when these neolithic chambers were sealed up and why.....many of the cairns that I have dowsed were built around 4,000BC and were then sealed around , if not just before 3,000BC.
I have also been using the Bovis scale to note the past energy levels of a site and comparing it with the present levels.I'm getting readings of up to 20,000BU's at a lot of megalithic sites...I recently(map dowsed) a local cairn as being a whopping 22,000 BU's so I can't wait to get up there for a bit of surveying.
happy hunting-eel.