Acoustimeter

Topics relating to the hazards of EMFs, Wi-Fi, phone masts, dirty electricity, smart meters, 5G etc.
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Acoustimeter

Post by Lynnie »

I've finally ordered my Acoustimeter. I've read the manual a few times and also EMF Solutions have a sample of sound files so I can start to get used to the different sounds.

https://emfields-solutions.com/rf/

I'm probably going to have a few questions as I start to get used to it so I'm hoping Grahame (as I know you have an Acoustimeter) you'll be willing to help me?

So firstly, on the sound files it has 'background hiss' - would be the sound it makes as a basic noise whether or not it detects any other EMFs?

Also, if there was no EMFs, no wi-fi, no dect etc at all, I've read that it would still make little clicks and beeps as it's detecting its own internal wiring but that's the only sound it would make? Would the light indicators stay at the low end of the meter or not make any sound at all? What I'm trying to find out is if there was no EMFs at all in a house, how would the Acoustimeter show that?

Thirdly, if you walked into a room that had for example wifi and a DECT unit, would the unit make both noises at the same?

Thanks.

Lynnie
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Acoustimeter

Post by Grahame »

Lynnie wrote:
So firstly, on the sound files it has 'background hiss' - would be the sound it makes as a basic noise whether or not it detects any other EMFs?
It doesn't make much noise at all if there's nothing to detect. The background hiss is 'white noise', which is the sound of the Big Bang - Cosmic Background Radiation, which is everywhere. You used to get it on analogue TVs between channels; I used to turn the volume of it up to full in hotel rooms if I had to get to sleep during the day!
Lynnie wrote: What I'm trying to find out is if there was no EMFs at all in a house, how would the Acoustimeter show that?
If there are no lights showing on the meter, the levels are well below the Bioinitiave report minimum levels and not worth worrying about. You won't notice the minor clicks. The lights are the best guide of the levels.
Lynnie wrote:Thirdly, if you walked into a room that had for example wifi and a DECT unit, would the unit make both noises at the same?
Yes, usually it's a cacophony of noise. You have to learn to distinguish the sounds. Often moving the meter around a bit will help to separate them a little.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Thanks Grahame, much appreciated.

With the background hiss which is white noise, are their health concerns re white noise (like wifi for example)? I've not heard of EMF sensitivity to white noise - or is there a sound for it because the meter would pick it up and users need to distinguish between harmless background noise and wifi for example? I'm not explaining myself very well but what I would like to know is if my meter picked up nothing but a high background hiss/white noise, would that be something to be concerned about?

Lynnie
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Lynnie wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:37 am With the background hiss which is white noise, are their health concerns re white noise?
No. White noise is the natural state of things, we've evolved with it. It's normal and healthy.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Thanks Grahame, 'white noise' - one less thing to be concerned about. :)
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

I have a friend who is interested in getting their house tested, when I have accumulated enough knowledge and experience. However, they have an electric substation near their property which they want me to test but I'm not sure the Acoustimeter can read that? I'm assuming that a GSM mobile phone base station (which is does test) would be a different animal from an electric substation?

Lynnie
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Lynnie wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 am I'm assuming that a GSM mobile phone base station (which is does test) would be a different animal from an electric substation?
An entirely different animal - totally different frequency range.
Grahame
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Hey Grahame

I finally got some time to try out my Acoustimeter. The noise for all rooms was the wi-fi sound (but not mine as I'm fully wired). Curiously though the office had the highest reading, even the wifi setting on my computer is off and the same for the router.

Typical Peak
Bedroom 0.03 v/m ............ Maximum peak 0.26
Office 0.20 v/m ............. Maximum peak 1.07
Bathroom 0.05 v/m ....... . Maximum peak 0.34
Lounge 0.14 v/m ........... Maximum peak 0.37
Kitchen 0.06 v/m .......... Maximum peak 0.15
Hall 0.03 v/m ............. Maximum peak 0.09

Any thoughts or observations?

I've just figured out that the 'additional noise' I was getting in the bedroom is from next door's Dect phone. Not happy about that.

Are there any solutions?

Lynnie
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Wi-Fi printer maybe?
I've just figured out that the 'additional noise' I was getting in the bedroom is from next door's Dect phone. Not happy about that.

Are there any solutions?
Screening materials on the wall, carbon paint etc. Or buy them a Gigaset phone and make sure it has Eco-DECT enabled (I did that with my neighbour!)
Grahame
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Thanks Grahame.

I did try it with my ipad and that was an interesting, high, response. I keep it in airplane mode and only switch to G4 when I'm using it.

I also have gone back to my wired mouse which brought the readings down a little in the office.

Any thoughts or observations on the readings for the rooms. Apart from next door's dect phones, the only sound was wi-fi.

Lynnie
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Lynnie wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:03 am Any thoughts or observations on the readings for the rooms. Apart from next door's dect phones, the only sound was wi-fi.
Some other wi-fi enabled device, like a printer as I suggested? You should be able to track it down with the meter.
Grahame
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

I'm fairly sure the wi-fi signals are from both neighbouring properties. I don't have any wi-fi at all in my own home, it is all wired.

In the early days, before I switched to wired, I could see there were about half a dozen signals from neighbours, all thankfully weak signals with the exception of one of my neighbours as when I was having trouble getting my broadband established, he said I could use his and it did work, so that signal has to be fairly strong and it is the room closest to his house.

However, just to double check, how would the meter help me establish if it were something within the bungalow? It makes the wi-fi sound but doesn't say if it is coming from a particular item. (My printer is permanently switched off).
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

You can sometimes get a very general sense of the direction the signals is coming from by moving the meter around slowly. It's not the best for this task by any means, but sometimes it helps pinpoint sources.
Grahame
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Thank you. I took the meter into the office today; as I'd expected there was a cacophony of noise. Quickly found more dect phones and there is a wi-fi booster in there as well.

Interestingly, as I walked back to my desk the readings dropped to their lowest point. And that matches my dowsing of the area.

When I got home and turned it on, in comparison to the office, home seemed positively peaceful. In fact I noticed that my front hall is very quiet and even though the meter makes the dect phone sound, the signal isn't strong enough to light up any LEDS, on either side. So I'm taking that as a good thing.

Wanted to ask though, do you store any truck in these plus in smart shields, or these Q-links for instance?

Lynnie
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Lynnie wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:52 pm Wanted to ask though, do you store any truck in these plus in smart shields, or these Q-links for instance?
Very individual things. If it works for you, use it. But you can waste a lot of money trying to find one that works for you.
Grahame