Llyn y Fan Fach-ed?

Esoteric discussions, spiritual ruminations, metaphysical mutterings etc.
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Llyn y Fan Fach-ed?

Post by Lyndon Ronstadt »

Remember the legend of Llyn y Fan Fach? Young farmer, beautiful maiden from lake, marriage etc, etc? Fine until he gives her a good slapping then, horror of horrors, she buggers off back to lake?

Well, said lake was overflowing in 2009/10 (according to Google Earth's historical record) but now, 10 years later, it's shrunk considerably. I wonder if this is a cyclic thing lasting a few decades or whether its indicative of a larger water problem afflicting the uk in general? We wouldn't accuse Wales of being arid, would we?

Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Llyn y Fan Fach-ed?

Post by Grahame »

That's interesting... Loch Vaa, in the Highlands just north of Aviemore, where water levels had dropped by four feet over the last year, is now at its highest level in 20 years despite the dry April.
Press and Journal wrote:In May last year, locals had recorded a drop in water levels by more than four foot, leading to the loss of millions of gallons on water in just eight months.

Almost year on, keepers of the 39 acre loch which is sustained by a spring, have now recorded what is believed to be their highest levels in 20 years, despite experiencing one of the driest Aprils on record.
Maybe the water dragons fancied a wee holiday in Scotland? :lol:

Full story HERE.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.

mike
Professional
Professional

Re: Llyn y Fan Fach-ed?

Post by mike »

Loch Vaa is fed by 3 places, one within the lake on the se side, and another at the edge north of the lake, and another on its east side just above.All the springs seem to rise from about 100 feet down so they might be connected and all have a good flow of water to dowsing there today,I get 50/50/70 gallons per minute.The deep main thrust of water comes from the ne of the lake, and it seems to feed each other spring I believe.