For matters relating to dowsing for health and wellbeing
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Braida Medallion

Post by Grahame »

I came across an old BSD journal from September 1985 in a second-hand bookstore in Inverness, and there is a letter from Frank Moody in which he mentions a "Braida Medallion", and how it can be used for protection and healing by placing pictures or witnesses onto the medallion.
I've never heard of this device - can anyone shed any light on it? From the letter it sounds like some sort of geometric diagram, but there is no further description. Does anyone still use this device?
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Dan Wilson

Re: Braida Medallion

Post by Dan Wilson »

Grahame Gardner wrote:I came across an old BSD journal from September 1985 in a second-hand bookstore in Inverness, and there is a letter from Frank Moody in which he mentions a "Braida Medallion", and how it can be used for protection and healing by placing pictures or witnesses onto the medallion.
I've never heard of this device - can anyone shed any light on it? From the letter it sounds like some sort of geometric diagram, but there is no further description. Does anyone still use this device?
I haven't read the book myself but there is said to be a very good description of it in Guirdham's book "The Pattern of the Past".

I was introduced to it by Major Bruce MacManaway who had a basic cartoon sketch of what I am told is a Celtic cross at Braida and had photocopied it for use by people suffering sensitivity to their TV sets, which was much commoner then (1970s) than now. They were told to tape it to the underside of their sets, carefully avoiding the ventilation holes, and leave it there. Bruce was attracted to it less for any mythology than the good reaction it gave both being dowsed for each case and the results it achieved in practice.

The Braida looks a little like this - I will see what it looks like in the Preview before submitting it - damn, it has to have dots to space it -
.......___
.......|...|..........the angled bits are actually quarter-circles and the
___/.....\___...straight-line ends to the arms stick out slightly over
|__ .(.. ).___|..the arm dimensions. The hole in the middle is circu-
......\...../.........lar and bigger than suggested here.
.......|__|

I used it for a few cases until I had a strong indication that I needed to rearrange the elements of the Braida to suit the case, and after that always dowsed each pattern individually, which I still do nearly 30 years later, on little cards which contain nothing but circles and straight lines.
They are quite unbelievably powerful and I'm still trying to work out how to make the whole of healing this easy ! There is quite a lot of psychic research needed to determine quite why the Braida, or its parts, have this effect.
Richard L. Farr
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Richard L. Farr »

This is interesting because the Celtic Cross was one of the major healing-at-a-distance patterns investigated and utilized by Dr. Aubrey Westlake and his associates (see his book, "The Pattern of Health")...the subject of "active graphics" touched on by Mr. Wilson is certainly a fascinating one (it seems the French have done most with this), and it may be a Western manifestation of the ancient Eastern concept of yantras, but without the mystical speculative and religious trappings involved in the latter subject. The big question involving such things (patterns, active drawings, yantras) is, of course, HOW do they work (ie, how do they cause effects to occur)? Those of us who have used patterns and active graphics know that they (frequently) do "work" (appear to cause effects to occur), but the HOW part is almost totally lacking (why do we need to know how/why something works? Because if we can gain insight into the how/why we may then be enabled to make it work better!) One possible explanation (more likely, PART of an explanation) could be the concept of the "Downpouring" described by the late radionic inventor Darryl Butcher, the basic idea of which he claimed to have obtained from an 1872 textbook on physics by one Professor Guyot (I plan to get this old book and see exactly what was written in the chapter Butcher refers to)...
Dan Wilson

Re: Braida medallion

Post by Dan Wilson »

Richard L. Farr wrote:This is interesting because the Celtic Cross was one of the major healing-at-a-distance patterns investigated and utilized by Dr. Aubrey Westlake and his associates (see his book, "The Pattern of Health")
Funnily, after a Web search I'm now less certain of what I said here - Braida is quoted as the name of an entity contacted by a sensitive girl known to AG - and also a common Italian name. There is a Braida in Cumbria, though. Celtic crosses may have powers according to what I have to say next.
...the subject of "active graphics" touched on by Mr. Wilson is certainly a fascinating one (it seems the French have done most with this), and it may be a Western manifestation of the ancient Eastern concept of yantra's, but without the mystical speculative and religious trappings involved in the latter subject. The big question involving such things (patterns, active drawings, yantras) is, of course, HOW do they work (ie, how do they cause effects to occur)?
I suspect any explanation as not being an ultimate one, but association of ideas is well-known in psychology and psychiatry and this is what the system I use of "guided writing" led me to in this case. I did an article in JBSD in 1995 about this practice which is available at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/healingcentre/guidwrit.html (link broken).

It said that both the Braida medallion and my fractured pieces of it which I put on cards for GS sufferers are a mental link to identical patterns drawn by a hermetic community of what we'd call monks about 9500 years ago in Tibet. from which the present variant of Buddhism there has also drawn. Over a period of about 1000 years, by trial and error, they devised a system of rune-like characters engraved on bark which were used to increase sensitivity to the Whatever, heal people and generally make life more comfortable. Eventually the "lamas" developed an intuitive sense which enabled the refining process to be greatly speeded up. As often happened in Tibet, the Chinese then invaded - I get 9067 BCE for this, the 13th occupation of Tibet before the present one - and dispersed the knowledge. However, in cosmic memory or whatever you want to call it, such things are never lost.

The runes had circles and lines, or lines by themselves in F, L and T configurations with different angles. I discovered after some time that some of the shapes on my cards were actually there to improve my recall of the others which were there to help the client's situation - what I call a "compound treatment" ! Similar complex arrangements also improve absent healing in a way you simply can't discuss with spiritual healers as it tramples on their beliefs, but that's another story.
Dan Wilson

Re: Braida medallion

Post by Dan Wilson »

I wrote:both the Braida medallion and my fractured pieces of it which I put on cards for GS sufferers are a mental link to identical patterns drawn by a hermetic community of what we'd call monks about 9500 years ago in Tibet, from which the present variant of Buddhism there has also drawn. Over a period of about 1000 years, by trial and error, they devised a system of rune-like characters engraved on bark which were used to increase sensitivity to the Whatever, heal people and generally make life more comfortable.
Oops! What I forgot to say was, the reason the runes had such incredible power was the simple trusting nature of the "monks", who were wholly cut off from the somewhat warlike and barbarous tribal world of Tibet and came to trust the patterns as having deity-like powers. In a sense, a Braida user is adopting their profound faith for a short moment, without realising it.

Try dowsing your own "releaser" - I think you'll be amazed at what comes up !
Sandy McKenzie

Baida Medallion

Post by Sandy McKenzie »

Graham,
One of the members of Sussex Dowsers has a picture of the Baida Mediallion that Frank Moody refers to. It is different from the version used by Bruce MacManaway that Dan drew on his posting. Her version is in a article by Frank Moody from a very old BSD Journal .

On the subject of these 'mandalas' Heather Willings developed by dowsing two sets of Healing pattern cards much in the same way as Dan draws his GS elimination cards. I did a BSD workshop at Regents College in London with Heather and in the afternoon we each constucted with dowsing a personal healing pattern composed of lines and circular shapes.
Sandy McKenzie
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Hi Sandy!
Glad to have you aboard.
One of the members of Sussex Dowsers has a picture of the Baida Mediallion
Do you think you can email me a picture of this? I'd like to see it and I can try posting it on the forum.
Last edited by Grahame on Mon May 09, 2005 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.

Post by Guest »

Hi Grahame,
It is in hard copy right now. I asked her to make me a copy and mail it to me. I will call her to remind her. Then I can scan it and email it.
Dan Wilson

Post by Dan Wilson »

Sandy McKenzie wrote:Graham,
One of the members of Sussex Dowsers has a picture of the Baida Mediallion that Frank Moody refers to. It is different from the version used by Bruce MacManaway that Dan drew on his posting. Her version is in a article by Frank Moody from a very old BSD Journal .
Sandy showed me this last Sunday. It has spiky bits on the ends of the arms which certainly weren't on the MacManaway version (though he claimed to have had that from Frank M too. No doubt Frank did his own massaging later too.)
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

And here it is! Thanks to Sandy for obtaining and sending this info.

from a talk given by Frank Moody at Southsea on 13/10/79 and reported in the BSD journal

"Exorcism. This is something which I have not seen written up in dowsing books, but the work has come my way and so far with success. Once I present a diagram of a Braida medallion to an earth bound spirit, animosity is reduced. By telepathy I tell him of the harm being done, and after a little while he realises the futility of being held to earth and leaves, never to return. The spirits never wish me to ascertain why they are earthbound. I took the diagram of the medallion from 'A Foot in Two Worlds' (Neville Spearman, 1973), one of Dr. Arthur Guirdham's books about the Cathars. It has been my pleasure to meet the Doctor during this visit to your country."

First 9500 year old Tibetan monks, and now Cathars! Curiouser and curiouser...
Last edited by Grahame on Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame
Dan Wilson

Descartes

Post by Dan Wilson »

I noticed this at the bottom:-
There is nothing so far removed from us as to be beyond our reach or so hidden that we cannot discover it.
-- Descartes
As a card-carrying sceptic, this strikes me as another disqualifier for our René. What it says is (maybe he didn't actually say it himself, so I don't wish to get into defamation) that it is possible to conceptualise anything, no matter how complex, without having to know the whole of possible reality now in order to justify saying it. We have no justification at this moment to suppose that any of science accurately portrays the scene it refers to ! It merely does it sufficiently well to produce repeatable results in some areas. In dowsing and such things as hauntings it remains avowedly out of its depth: so how do we know that apparently straightforward things like the action of medicine and the health benefits of hygiene aren't actually based on equally out-of-sight criteria ? Wittgenstein despaired of science for not asking the important questions (for example, a 2-year-old asking "where do plastic toys come from and why ?"), which I think rather unfair since asking the important questions aren't in science's bailiwick to start with. I just wish that science was bright enough to recognise this and say so.

We cannot know that not everything is conceptualisable, but the case that everything is has to be proved, and isn't.

Post by Guest »

Any chance that the link to the picture of the Braida Medallion could be repaired? I'd rather like to see if yours looks similar to the picture I've just been given. Thanks

CF
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

thanks for the heads up on that CF - the image had accidentally been deleted during a website update. I've now replaced it and you should be able to see it again.
Grahame

Post by Guest »

Grahame

Thanks for prompt response. Fascinating; the diagram I was given is the same except for the cross in the middle (not given on my copy).

The original of my copy was used for repelling 'negative entities'. With such a generalised approach its difficult to say whether it worked or not. Indeed, how would one know!

Have any of the previous correspondents explored the uses of the symbol further? I'm intersted to learn more.

Kind regards

CF
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

I'm resurrecting this old thread about the Braida medallion, mainly as I've mentioned it in my talk on Sigils at Conference 2017 and people wanted to know more about it.

I've also found a couple of other references to its origin. Dan Wilson mentioned the Arthur Guirdham book, which I've tracked down as 'We Are One Another', where the design is said to have been channelled by a 'Mrs. Mills' from a Cathar spirit named Braida. This tallies with Sandy MacKenzie's account.

And in 'Radiant Healing' by Isabel Bellamy and Donald MacLean, the design of the medallion given is rather different from the one I posted earlier.

The point I was making in my talk is that the symbol seems rather similar to the planetary Seal of the Sun from the Western magickal tradition, which may be the true source of the symbol:

Interesting stuff.
Grahame