Rosslyn Chapel

Discussions relating to earth energy dowsing in general.
Lorraine
Beginner
Beginner

Rosslyn Chapel

Post by Lorraine »

Before anyone jumps up and down, this is *not* about Dan Brown's awful book and the equally so-so films! What I'm looking for is any feedback on my findings from someone who's been there?

Last week a friend and I visited Rosslyn Chapel; a place she felt drawn to go to. I've been there once before and felt a spirit/energy link down in the old chapel, known as the Crypt. It's 200 years older than Rosslyn Chapel and has an altar at the far end. On that visit, I 'felt' a monk/priest emerge from a small room to the left of the altar and found myself compelled to kneel before the altar and cross myself. I'm not catholic, but it seemed extrememly disrespectful not to do so. Upstairs, in the chapel itself, I felt no such need at the altar and felt a greater 'presence' down in the crypt, although there was definately a sense of something in the chapel.

Last week, the place was packed with tourists so I didn't have much hope of picking up anything. However, when I stood for a moment in the area at the west of the chapel, I felt a rush, like a river, of energy flowing down the right side of the chapel, in alignment with the old chapel... My friend and I tested it out and agreed that the flow of energy was stronger and more consistent down that side, being in alignment with the centre of the altar and window below.

The accepted area where dowsers have found a crossing of ley lines, centred between the two side doors (once the main entrances) and the present altar, was dead to me.

Questions which emerged from our ponderings...
Why would the building be placed just to the side of the old chapel, almost ignoring the stream of earth energy through it?
Surely the builders, with all their focus on symbolism etc would be aware of this line?
Was it done deliberately, to side-step focus from this line, presumably the 'Rose Line'?
Why, if the true line runs through the centre of the chapel, would they place a pillar right in the middle of it, which would disrupt its flow?
So - deliberate slight of hand to distract all but those who 'knew', or deliberate attempts to divert and control?

There are some more musings, but I have to go to a funeral, so maybe this will keep you going? :mrgreen:
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Re: Rosslyn Chapel

Post by arthur hamlin »

Hi Lorraine,
Making a sign of the cross which oftens happens to me as my hands will reach up to do that is I`m told to protect the spirit intelligence from your vibes when you are in close proximity to them. I am not Catholic either, but when we do although I`m not drawn to do it consciously, this I feel is one of reverance. In this instance my sensing is able to pick up what they are doing. They like us I`m told have sensors at their shoulders and forehead hence their touching at these points.
This I`m told is not connecting up with the crucifixion of Christ as many believe but as a means whereby the intelligence is able to remain close to you for communicating purposes without affecting them adversely.
Sorry, I am not able to comment on the Rosslyn Chapel but I would also like to go there.
Arthur
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

Hi Lorraine,

You pose some interesting questions that I will have a go at, generally, by dowsing.....

As far as I am aware, the energies in the chapel itself are created by those who visit it rather that by the original builders or the symbols they created there. I'm told that there are no ley lines anywhere near the chapel or the grounds in which it lies. There are Geopathic Stress lines, some of which are very powerful, that criss-cross the site and the 'earth derived' energies from these can be picked up easily by sensitive people. Your reaction to the energy of the crypt is interesting but remember that the instictive action of signing oneself with a cross goes way back before Christianity adopted the practice so I would agree with Arthur's interpretation of the act of crossing oneself.

As you mention, I find that the crypt is older than the existing chapel having been built by the Cistercians in 1264 and that would probably account for the considerable difference in the spiritual energies between it and the existing chapel above it. (the earliest Cistercian monastery in Scotland, Located in Roxburghshire, was built in 1136 by King David I of Scotland)
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Lorraine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lorraine »

arthur hamlin wrote:Hi Lorraine,
Making a sign of the cross which oftens happens to me as my hands will reach up to do that is I`m told to protect the spirit intelligence from your vibes when you are in close proximity to them. (snip) This I`m told is not connecting up with the crucifixion of Christ as many believe but as a means whereby the intelligence is able to remain close to you for communicating purposes without affecting them adversely.
Sorry, I am not able to comment on the Rosslyn Chapel but I would also like to go there.
Arthur
Hmm... I've not heard of that before, Arthur. In this instance, I felt it was very much the influence of the particular spirit, who would have been very offended had I not 'paid my respects'! :) I found out in my latest trip that the roman catholic priest who was to take charge of the newly built chapel lived in that very room I sensed someone emerge from, but whether it was him or an earlier monk, I have yet to discover.
Lorraine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lorraine »

Geoff Stuttaford wrote: As far as I am aware, the energies in the chapel itself are created by those who visit it rather that by the original builders or the symbols they created there. I'm told that there are no ley lines anywhere near the chapel or the grounds in which it lies. There are Geopathic Stress lines, some of which are very powerful, that criss-cross the site and the 'earth derived' energies from these can be picked up easily by sensitive people. Your reaction to the energy of the crypt is interesting but remember that the instictive action of signing oneself with a cross goes way back before Christianity adopted the practice so I would agree with Arthur's interpretation of the act of crossing oneself.

As you mention, I find that the crypt is older than the existing chapel having been built by the Cistercians in 1264 and that would probably account for the considerable difference in the spiritual energies between it and the existing chapel above it. (the earliest Cistercian monastery in Scotland, Located in Roxburghshire, was built in 1136 by King David I of Scotland)
Oh... so my friend's assertion that a 'rose line' runs through Rosslyn Chapel is wrong? I must admit I was skeptical about this, suspecting that someone has made it 'fit', assuming Rosslyn is a corrupted form of 'rose line'. (There was an explanation of the name in the tourist centre... something about a particular type of glen, I think...)

I guess I was picking up on a geopathic stress line? It was certainly very noticable. I think you are correct about the reasons for the difference in spiritual energies between the two chapels, the older one having had more focused intent. Funnily enough, while we paused to work out the muddle of energies down there, a tourist turned on a cd of medievil psalms etc, which totally changed the feeling of the place and actually felt wrong or out of context. Gregorian chant or similar voice work felt much more acceptable there. I nipped down after she left and turned it off... lol.

Something else which I'd forgotten about - while looking up at the scaffolding inside, I saw a white shape brush across one of the upper carvings...I wonder if I was seeing someone from the time it was built, as there wouldn't have been a walkway at that level at any time after...

Interesting place, for sure. Thanks Simon for the link to the earlier thread - I'd tried a search but that one didn't come up.

:)
Lorraine
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

I've had similar experiences in the sacristy, Lorraine; I have also felt a male presence in the left hand room off the sacristy (interesting that they chose that one for the film, no?); and one time a companion I was with felt compelled to prostrate herself face down, arms outstretched in a cross shape, before the altar there. On a visit with The Geomancy Group, we got in as soon as the chapel opened in the morning and had the place to ourselves. We spent some time down in the sacristy in a circle doing some toning, and when I opened my eyes it seemed as though I couldn't see the far wall for 'mist'. Then when we went back upstairs to the main chapel, it was absolutely packed with people - really shoulder-to-shoulder - yet none of them had ventured downstairs to disturb us.
There is an energy ley that runs diagonally through the north-east corner of the main church, and you can see many people stop about ten feet before the doorway of the chapel as they cross this ley. It runs directly through the most north-easterly pinnacle on the roof, which used to house a beehive (you can still see the hole in the centre of the ROSE from the scaffolding walkway). Much significance has been placed on the symbolism of the bee and the Grail, but let's not go there....!

Jackie Queally (link broken)
runs excellent tours of the chapel and is a bit of an expert on the Reshel Grid and it's manifestations in the chapel and glen. There's an article she did for the Earth Energies newsletter in the archive - Grail Lines in Scotland

William Beuhler is the acknowledged expert on the Reshel grids, and if you click some of the links on this page (link broken)
, there are some pdf graphics showing some of his findings at Rosslyn.

Beth Davies, well-known archaeological dowser, has also done some dowsing work on the sacristy at Rosslyn that has been incorporated in the Reshel stuff - Click Here for a pdf plan including her findings.

Hope this is of some help? Do a bit more Googling - there's plenty of information out there!
Last edited by Grahame on Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Lorraine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lorraine »

Great, Grahame, thanks! I've told my friend, who's been investigating lines around her local area, so she might come by for a nose.

:)
Lorraine
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Grahame Gardner wrote: left hand room off the sacristy (interesting that they chose that one for the film, no?)
Actually, having just studied that pdf of Beth Davies' work in more detail, I notice that her dowsing plan of the sacristy includes a number of chambers underneath that very room.

Note that it includes a second level of vault below those; just as in the film. Perhaps it's no coincidence that they included these in the film - maybe Ron Howard or some other researcher had seen this graphic? The plot thickens.... :shock:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Lorraine wrote: Oh... so my friend's assertion that a 'rose line' runs through Rosslyn Chapel is wrong? I must admit I was skeptical about this, suspecting that someone has made it 'fit', assuming Rosslyn is a corrupted form of 'rose line'. (There was an explanation of the name in the tourist centre... something about a particular type of glen, I think...)
There is a lot of contention about whether there is such a thing as a Rose Line, and whether is has anything to do with Rosslyn. For example, HERE is another of those pdf graphics purportedly showing the Rose Line running through Edinburgh and Roslin. I've read very convincing arguments both for and against the existence of such a line; it depends on which author you read. Nothing is true - everything is permitted. Fnord! :lol:

As to the etymology of Roslin/Rosslyn; I was quite impressed by the argument in 'Turning the Templar Key' by Robert Lomas, where he explains that the usual tourist interpretation of Rosslyn as meaning 'promontory by the waterfall/pool' (ross=promontory, lynn=waterfall or pool) is inaccurate as neither ross or lynn exists in Scots Gaelic (although ros and linn do). So Rosslyn (the chapel) is not Scots Gaelic, but Roslin (the village) is. Although Rosslynn could conceivably be from Old Welsh, which (as has been mentioned before in this forum, e.g. here), was once spoken in central and lowland Scotland.
After consulting with Teresa Ransford, an expert in Gaelic poetry, Lomas proposes 'Roslinn: Ancient knowledge passed down through the generations' (Turning the Templar Key, pp 115-116). Make of that what you will..!
I'm not an expert in this and neither am I a Gaelic speaker, so I make no further comment...errrr, Ian? :mrgreen:
Grahame
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

I'm not an expert on Old Welsh, let alone Scots Gaelic. However, in modern Welsh you have words like rhos meaning either (a) rose or (b) upland meadow, marshland etc. and llyn meaning lake, also, lein or lin just means line but this is just sheer conjecture.

The "rose line" on that PDF looks a bit wonky, I thought it was supposed to be some kind of meridian??

Ian
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Post by arthur hamlin »

Funny, I did make another post here but I see it did not arrive.
Interesting posts and references though.
Just to say that my dowsing is saying that this site goes back approx 4000 years when people worshipped a planet which was in our galaxy about a quarter the size of our full moon which also had connections with pyramid culture. I`m told it went out of our orbit about than by another which collided with it. Just wondering if anyone else is able to confirm this?
Lorraine, I am getting that only certain advanced spirit people cross themselves when we communicate with them. What is your take here?
Arthur
Lorraine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lorraine »

Grahame Gardner wrote:
Grahame Gardner wrote: left hand room off the sacristy (interesting that they chose that one for the film, no?)
Actually, having just studied that pdf of Beth Davies' work in more detail, I notice that her dowsing plan of the sacristy includes a number of chambers underneath that very room:
Note that it includes a second level of vault below those; just as in the film. Perhaps it's no coincidence that they included these in the film - maybe Ron Howard or some other researcher had seen this graphic? The plot thickens.... :shock:
I did read somewhere that excavations were undertaken in recent years and a camera was extended into the hole made, revealing the presence of at least one more vault beyond. Sadly, the owners of the chapel have forbidden further work on this, possibly to keep the hordes of grail seekers at bay? :roll:

Re: the rose line and entymology of the name... interesting. The main problem, as always, is in trying to make the pieces fit underlying assumptions which may colour any conclusions. Btw, apparently a professor from 'down South' comes up every autumn with psychics and others and has them focus on aspects of the chapel carvings, to see what they come up with. The tour guide thought it was for a book. Watch this space...
Lorraine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lorraine »

arthur hamlin wrote:Funny, I did make another post here but I see it did not arrive.
Interesting posts and references though.
Just to say that my dowsing is saying that this site goes back approx 4000 years when people worshipped a planet which was in our galaxy about a quarter the size of our full moon which also had connections with pyramid culture. I`m told it went out of our orbit about than by another which collided with it. Just wondering if anyone else is able to confirm this?
Lorraine, I am getting that only certain advanced spirit people cross themselves when we communicate with them. What is your take here?
Arthur
Hmm... I have no idea about the planet - I'm not experienced enough with dowsing to trust asking about it.
My take on the advanced spirit people crossing themselves is - why?? I have met a few knowledgable spirit people of various levels and not a one has made this action. I can't really understand why they would need to.
My experience is similar to the one which made Grahame's companion prostrate herself before the altar; it was more of a compulsion, but not one that I couldn't have broken if I wanted to. It felt disrespectful, however, to do so. I have felt this in another highly-charged religious setting - St Fillan's chapel in Dundurn, Loch Earn. There is a broken font in the corner and with that, I found myself 'nagged' to show respect by crossing myself before I could leave. (I also sensed a 'capped' energy vortice in the grounds and saw five energy shapes rise behind myself and companions as we prayed there. I have since been drawn back during meditation to do something which seemed to be re-tuning the capped well of energy.)

One more note - on my first visit to Rosslyn, I had a kind of dizzy turn at the upper steps, before I went down them to the older chapel area. It felt like a spirit person walking through or very close to me.

It's jolly interesting, this earth energy stuff! 8)
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Lorraine wrote: I did read somewhere that excavations were undertaken in recent years and a camera was extended into the hole made, revealing the presence of at least one more vault beyond. Sadly, the owners of the chapel have forbidden further work on this, possibly to keep the hordes of grail seekers at bay?
If this is the excavation I think it is, it involved Andrew Sinclair and was filmed for Discovery Channel; but it was the crypt(s) under the main chapel they were trying to find, not the sacristy. The northeastern aisle in the chapel is where they lifted the flagstones and found stairs leading down with a wall on the inside edge as it were; they also drilled between some flagstones in the centre of the chapel and lowered an endoscopic camera in, but the hole became clogged with gravel and small debris and they(allegedly) didn't proceed any further (I always thought that was a pretty feeble excuse for giving up!). I don't think there have been any excavations in the sacristy part.

More on the Rose Line... HERE (link broken)
is a site run by Keith Campbell in the Borders about the Roseline, containing everything you need to know (and then some!) about the Rose Line, Da Vinci, the Templars, the Bloodline of Christ, Life, the Universe and Everything. According the Keith, the Rose Line runs through Roslin Castle, but not the chapel itself. He also says:
The energy of the Roseline can be picked up through dowsing. Migrating birds use the energy line as their compass, sensing the direction of the Earth's magnetic field and can often be seen flying on the Ley line in the Roslin area.
And did you know that there is also a Rose Line Da Vinci tartan:
Whatever next?! :roll:
Grahame
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Lorraine wrote:I did read somewhere that excavations were undertaken in recent years and a camera was extended into the hole made, revealing the presence of at least one more vault beyond. Sadly, the owners of the chapel have forbidden further work on this, possibly to keep the hordes of grail seekers at bay?
I gather there have been some illicit excavations by treasure-hunters at Rosslyn?

Ian