University archaeologists start Tregaron elephant dig

for matters relating to archaeological and historical dowsing.
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

University archaeologists start Tregaron elephant dig

Post by simonwheeler »

Archaeologists having started digging up a pub beer garden in search of a legendary Victorian circus elephant.
About 10 people from the University of Wales Trinity St David are taking part.
University? Beer garden? Hmmm....

:mrgreen:

Story from BBC Wales
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Re: University archaeologists start Tregaron elephant dig

Post by Ian Pegler »

Ah the Talbot, yes. Just over the road you have the Rhiannon craft centre; just a little to the north is Strata Florida abbey. Ty Nant water is around that area also (world famous mineral water, discovered by a dowser!).

The Talbot is worth a visit, I've been there a few times but I haven't been in the beer garden, although I did know about the elephant story.

Ian
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Ian Pegler wrote: Ty Nant water is around that area also (world famous mineral water, discovered by a dowser!)
BBC News wrote:The elephant was said to have fallen ill after drinking contaminated water in the Ceredigion town
Presumably the dowser was not involved in finding water for the elephant then... :mrgreen:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

As I understand it, the Ty Nant supply was found by an "eminent local water diviner" in 1976 but I've never been able to find out who that was.

The elephant was long dead by then, of course.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

An update on the elephant story from the BBC...
Tregaron elephant mystery remains after pub dig

Archaeologists will continue the hunt for a legendary Victorian circus elephant, even though a dig in a pub beer garden failed to unearth clues.
CLICK HERE to read the story.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Oh, I just noticed this..!
"We could go back and do a geophysical survey or some dowsing to try
and establish this if that's what local people want," she added.
Ian
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Forgive me for saying this but could we on the forum offer some Google dowsing for this lost animal, as we are waiting for the Mastodon findings from Canada, why not have a go at finding this animal known to be buried close to the pub from the article. No prize offered but hey its a chance to show what your made of,and think of the good people just itching to have another elephant dig, dont want to spoil their fun do we, cannot be a lot to do there at night ?? Think of it as keeping the locals out of trouble, well perhaps the ale flows after the digging stops, as any excuse is better than none to quench your thirst. :lol: Email address included with the article for anyone having a go dowsing the dead elephant.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Well my dead Elephant position has been sent off, all that remains is to find out if Im right, might just be flogging a dead horse. :mrgreen: Make some dog happy, FIND THE ELEPHANT, think of all those bones. :lol:
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

from WalesOnline...
S4C helps Victorian tale of Tregaron elephant come to life in Mid Wales town

S4C film-makers bring elephants to Ceredigion market town as they attempt to re-tell the story of how Jwmbi - a circus elephant - died after drinking supposedly contaminated water and was buried.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Ian Pegler wrote:As I understand it, the Ty Nant supply was found by an "eminent local water diviner" in 1976 but I've never been able to find out who that was.
For the sake of completeness, the dowser's name was Tom Ashley.

Ian
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

The stars of the family film loosely based on the legend – Y Syrcas – which will be shown on S4C at Christmas – have been staying at a secret location on the outskirts of the town.
How secret can you keep two whopping elephants in a village of just over 1000 inhabitants?! :lol: I should think you can see them from miles away!!

If the bones have not been found after a dig, they're just not there - the graves of an elephant must cover a big area of ground. I dowsed the area on a map & found absolutely no trace of it.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Just revisited here and had another look for the Elephant, dont have a clue where I dowsed it before, but I never got a reply so it could not have been the right place ? Anyway had another go and I dowsed the animal near the road to the North East of the Talbot Hotel some distance away at 52 13 20 53 N 3 55 23 82 W. Its 3 feet down there and does not have any tusks, but not sure it had tusks anyway, so if you fancy have a dig and have permission, be my guest. Its a long way from any pub, so might not have many takers, all that digging and nothing to drink. :lol: :lol: