Dowsing practice

Discuss your favourite dowsing tools and techniques here.
sapling

Dowsing practice

Post by sapling »

I seem to return to dowsing every year, but each time I struggle and concede defeat. I've read books, watched a DVD and trawled through the archives of this forum. I know the basics and I've seen a little success, but mostly I have no accuracy at all.

I'd like to develop my dowsing into a useful skill and I'd like some ideas for practice. I need something to dowse that I can later verify, such as looking up the answer in a book. It's best if it's something unknown to me, so that my conscious mind doesn't get involved. It needs to be something I can do alone, something I can practice with for 10-20 minutes each morning and evening.

Can anyone help?
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Dowsing practice

Post by simonwheeler »

I need something to dowse that I can later verify,
Why? I wonder if there are two slight obstacles here: 1. your own self-doubt; 2. you're trying too hard?

I found when starting that it worked best when there was a real problem to solve. I had done the "get somebody to hide keys and dowse to find them" and similar exercises- but when we had to track down where a drain was blocked- that was the first practical success. This was followed soon after by trying to find a lost dog. Two different "targets" but both had real and urgent requirements which concentrated my mind remarkably...especially as they weren't my drains or my dog!

Are there any local groups near you? Have you tried a BSD Foundation course? I suspect that once you've made that initial break-through you'll be well away. Maybe just don't try to do it alone to start with.... 8)
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
sapling

Post by sapling »

simonwheeler wrote: Why? I wonder if there are two slight obstacles here: 1. your own self-doubt; 2. you're trying too hard?
I don't think it's self-doubt, I don't want to prove anything. I know it sometimes works, and it sometimes doesn't. I want to find out whether my accuracy is better this week than last, or whether I'm more accurate in the morning or evening, or whether dowsing rods would suit me more than a pendulum. I think feedback is part of learning.
sapling

Post by sapling »

I'm having some success dowsing a tossed coin. I correctly called 15 out of 20 (75%). I had a run of 10 correct answers before fatigue set in and I got a bit unreliable. I should have stopped earlier. It seems little and often is the way to practice.

It's interesting that a lot of the time I 'know' the answer moments before the pendulum swings. The answer seems to mentally come to me. I think this is something I'd like to develop further.
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

(Sapling) ”It's interesting that a lot of the time I 'know' the answer moments before the pendulum swings. The answer seems to mentally come to me. I think this is something I'd like to develop further.”

That could be attributable to an element of clairvoyance or telepathy in your makeup, alternatively, you may be contacting your “soul memory” where the answer already exists. Some people are capable of doing that when dowsing (not me, though). I’m afraid that you have not supplied sufficient info on the subjects of your dowsing, where you get answers before any dowsing tool reacts, to determine which of the possible explanations above, if any of them, are correct. I, too, sometimes get an answer before my pendulum moves to confirm it, but I don’t know how common this is
among dowsers.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

(Sapling) ”It's interesting that a lot of the time I 'know' the answer moments before the pendulum swings. The answer seems to mentally come to me. I think this is something I'd like to develop further.”

I don't get this effect with my pendulum but I do with device less dowsing. If I sit quietly and ask a question, it's like my energy either remains at the same level or sort of dips - really hard to explain - and then I either get a yes or no.

Lynnie
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

(Lynnie ) “I don't get this effect with my pendulum but I do with device less dowsing. If I sit quietly and ask a question, it's like my energy either remains at the same level or sort of dips - really hard to explain - and then I either get a yes or no.”
Hi Lynne,

Thanks for your input. I’m afraid that I am still of the opinion (which has been confirmed by my dowsing, that dowsers who get answers before they get confirmation of those answers by dowsing them, are employing either clairvoyance or some kind of telepathy.
You may like to dowse whether this actually applies to you.

Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Geoff,

I have to say I've never considered whether I am clairvoyant or telepathic. When I have some quiet time, I shall ask (and of course let you know what response I get).

Best wishes

Lynnie
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

(Lynnie) "I have to say I've never considered whether I am clairvoyant or telepathic. When I have some quiet time, I shall ask (and of course let you know what response I get)."

Good idea. Sapling and I asked anf we found that, in his case, some kind of telepathy was involved.
Geoff

Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

I've always maintained that dowsing is a form of controlled clairsentience. Not clairvoyance - that means 'clear vision' - dowsing is more 'clear knowing'.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

(Grahame)”I've always maintained that dowsing is a form of controlled clairsentience. Not clairvoyance - that means 'clear vision' - dowsing is more 'clear knowing'.”

OK Grahame. When I ask whether clairsentience can be defined, in certain circumstances, as a kind of telepathy, I get a Yes. So I would agree with you.

What I also get is that clairsentience is generally associated with info that is obtained from one’s subconscious mind whereas info obtained from an external source can sometimes have a telepathic element
Geoff

simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

FWIW, I concur with Grahame. Sort of.
Geoff: What I also get is that clairsentience is generally associated with info that is obtained from one’s subconscious mind whereas info obtained from an external source can sometimes have a telepathic element
but here I am "lost". I don't understand this Geoff. I am reluctant to pursue it though; I suspect we may get into semantics. For example, I think that "clairsentience" is more to do with feeling, whereas "claircognizance" is about that feeling of knowing! And I find that when there is a more highly charged emotional feeling around, it is more likely to support clairvoyance, clairaudience, etc. as the emotions act as a carrier for information from....wherever...Which could be interpreted as telepathy.
Dowsing can act as a focal point for all of this...the relaxed concentration required is a useful strategy- and grounding.
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

( Simon) Geoff wrote : “What I also get is that clairsentience is generally associated with info that is obtained from one’s subconscious mind whereas info obtained from an external source can sometimes have a telepathic element”

(S) but here I am "lost". I don't understand this Geoff. I am reluctant to pursue it though; I suspect we may get into semantics.

(G) Highly possible.

(S) For example, I think that "clairsentience" is more to do with feeling,

(G) Yes, it can be.

(S) whereas "claircognizance" is about that feeling of knowing!

(G) I’m afraid that my source does not so understand the word "claircognizance" so I’m unable .to comment on that aspect

"
(S) And I find that when there is a more highly charged emotional feeling around, it is more likely to support clairvoyance, clairaudience, etc. as the emotions act as a carrier for information from.... wherever...Which could be interpreted as telepathy.

(G)Agreed

(S)Dowsing can act as a focal point for all of this...the relaxed concentration required is a useful strategy- and grounding.

(G)Yes, and I would be interested to find out roughly what percentage of dowsers manage to get mental answers, when dowsing, prior to a dowsing tool moving
Geoff

Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Well, I had a quiet few minutes last night and using my pendulum, asked about device less dowsing and what is being used to inform me of the answer before I have it confirmed with moving my fingers. My pendulum said no to telepathy but yes to clairvoyance. Having read all the previous messages after my last post, I also asked about clairsentience but it said no to that and again confirmed clairvoyance.

To add a further dimension to this: since discovering the aura soma system many years ago, I often get different coloured bottles come into my third eye in response to thoughts or difficulties I'm facing and when I look up the title of the bottle and its meaning, it's very accurate to the situation or thought I'm having. I often wondered where these bottles came from: kind of assumed it was somehow generated by my own system. I would also say that my third eye is one of my strongest chakras. So I guess this would be a kind of clairvoyance as well which would add weight to Geoff's theory of clairvoyance being used to feel the answer to a question before having it confirmed with device less dowsing.

Lynnie
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Hi Lynnie,

(Lynnie) My pendulum said no to telepathy but yes to clairvoyance. Having read all the previous messages after my last post, I also asked about clairsentience but it said no to that and again confirmed clairvoyance.

(Geoff) Oh Boy ! We now have yet another explanation confirmed of what I would call “pre-dowsing ability”. I have dowsed that “Upstairs considers that clairvoyance can cover other abilities besides clear seeing. I have been told that I am, in some way, clairvoyant but my third eye is non-existent. I see nothing. Most confusing.

(L) To add a further dimension to this: since discovering the aura soma system many years ago, I often get different coloured bottles come into my third eye in response to thoughts or difficulties I'm facing and when I look up the title of the bottle and its meaning, it's very accurate to the situation or thought I'm having.

I often wondered where these bottles came from: kind of assumed it was somehow generated by my own system.

(G) To me, that would indicate that you were in contact with someone who had your best interests at heart. I have dowsed that this person’s name is Freya.
She sends you pictures of bottles you describe probably because of your aura soma knowledge. I know clairvoyant who gets pictures of symbols that need interpreting so this kind of ”transmission” could be common among clairvoyants..

(L) I would also say that my third eye is one of my strongest chakras. So I guess this would be a kind of clairvoyance as well which would add weight to Geoff's theory of clairvoyance being used to feel the answer to a question before having it confirmed with device less dowsing.

(G) Just one point, Lynnie, w hat I wrote about this subject of “pre-dowsing ability” was not my theory, it was what I had dowsed. Thank you for some most interesting input.
Geoff