emf from Smart Meters in the USA and Canada- possible shield

Topics relating to the hazards of EMFs, Wi-Fi, phone masts, dirty electricity, smart meters, 5G etc.
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Re: emf from Smart Meters in the USA and Canada- possible shield

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

I have had a word with another Dowsers who tells ne that I am not capable of picking up emf from smart meters, UK meters do emit enf radiations. I have dowsed that I am somehow protected against e,f radiation which is why I cannot detect it. I also find that Grahame is similarly protected but would need confirmation of that. Perhaps he would care to comment ?
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Lynnie wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 am if UK metres don't emit radiation, that's something for me to consider. Also, if UK can supply meters without radiation, it begs the question, why don't the USA?

I seem to recall wasn't Grahame an expect with all this. Perhaps we'd better wait for his input?
Welcome back, Lynnie! Glad you found us again.

I think that US smart meters emit more frequently than UK ones, which seem to default to half-hourly pulses. I think (but don't quote me on this) that they can be set to transmit as infrequently as once a month - which, if you are absolutely forced to have one installed, would be something to insist upon. But it may vary between companies. We are just now (2019) seeing more of the newer SMETS2 meters coming into play and replacing the older SMETS1 models, which were the ones that stopped being 'smart' when you changed energy suppliers. But even these new ones still have a lot of problems.

Geoff, if your meter was installed in 2010 as you say, then I very much doubt that it is a 'smart' meter; it's possibly just a digital one? Either that, or it's possible that you are just missing the transmission pulses when you check it?

Regarding me being protected from EMFs, I only wish that were the case. I am becoming increasingly electro-sensitive these days. I have trouble sleeping in the presence of Wi-Fi, and will develop a headache in close proximity to a Wi-Fi router or after a minute or so mobile phone use. I am starting to get a mild headache just now actually, as I'm typing this on my laptop in a hotel room using (of course) the hotel Wi-Fi. At home I have everything wired on Ethernet and only switch on the Wi-Fi if I need to update my mobile phone or at the request of guests. And I try to use the landline phone as much as I can; if I need to call on the mobile I use speakerphone mode or an air-tube headset.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Welcome back, Lynnie! Glad you found us again.
Thank you, Grahame. I'd missed you guys over the past few years and it was sheer luck I found this forum again.

I think that US smart meters emit more frequently than UK ones, which seem to default to half-hourly pulses. I think (but don't quote me on this) that they can be set to transmit as [b]infrequently as once a month - which, if you are absolutely forced to have one installed, would be something to insist upon.[/b] But it may vary between companies. We are just now (2019) seeing more of the newer SMETS2 meters coming into play and replacing the older SMETS1 models, which were the ones that stopped being 'smart' when you changed energy suppliers. But even these new ones still have a lot of problems.
I'll remember that thank you. For now, the energy company are leaving me alone and I'll hang on til the end. I suspect I'll end up paying a fee for the privilege of remaining SM free! I've been looking into Faraday cages, but it seems you can't get one in the UK but I have found some material:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blocking-Con ... &sr=8-6
Geoff, if your meter was installed in 2010 as you say, then I very much doubt that it is a 'smart' meter; it's possibly just a digital one? Either that, or it's possible that you are just missing the transmission pulses when you check it?
Maybe that's the reason why Geoff can't detect any EMFs from it, because it's not a smart meter?

Regarding me being protected from EMFs, I only wish that were the case. I am becoming increasingly electro-sensitive these days. I have trouble sleeping in the presence of Wi-Fi, and will develop a headache in close proximity to a Wi-Fi router or after a minute or so mobile phone use. I am starting to get a mild headache just now actually, as I'm typing this on my laptop in a hotel room using (of course) the hotel Wi-Fi. At home I have everything wired on Ethernet and only switch on the Wi-Fi if I need to update my mobile phone or at the request of guests. And I try to use the landline phone as much as I can; if I need to call on the mobile I use speakerphone mode or an air-tube headset.
I'm sorry to hear that. My home is all wired up and not a 'smart' appliance, microwave, in sight. But there is wi-fi at work and it's always been in the back of my mind if I'm sensitive to it. I've not actually spoken to anyone who is sensitive, so I'm assuming because I can sit in the office all day with no headaches or anything, I'm not sensitive to it.

Interestingly, the other day I found myself in the unusual position of being alone in the office. So I had a dowse. When I stood by the wifi router, the pendulum moved in a very large anti-clockwise movement. Then when I began to slowly walk back to my desk the movement became less and less until it stopped when I at my desk. I'm assuming that the wifi signal stops short of my desk.

Lynnie
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Lynnie wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:36 am I've been looking into Faraday cages, but it seems you can't get one in the UK but I have found some material:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blocking-Con ... &sr=8-6
That's a pretty good price, although I would like to see some testing results on how effective it is and across what frequencies. Of course, if you wrap a smart meter to stop it transmitting, your utility company are likelyto come knocking investigating why it isn't working! :lol:
I'm assuming because I can sit in the office all day with no headaches or anything, I'm not sensitive to it.
Perhaps you are just not sensitive to it yet. EHS is cumulative, the more exposure you have, the more sensitive you become. I know that a couple of people in my wife's office have been complaining of headaches because they're right next to the router. Power density drops off quickly according to the inverse square law, so maybe you are sufficiently far enough removed from it.
I'm assuming that the wifi signal stops short of my desk
As above - there may be a critical power exposure level for you, and beyond a certain distance the power density falls too low to affect you. This is something that is definitely worth regularly dowsing, to see if that distance changes over time. That would be a good gauge of developing sensitivity.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

You guys may have something here, I will dowse my wi fi to see what I get,its something I should have checked long ago, the hidden danger and all that.
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

That's a pretty good price, although I would like to see some testing results on how effective it is and across what frequencies. Of course, if you wrap a smart meter to stop it transmitting, your utility company are likely to come knocking investigating why it isn't working! :lol:
I hadn't realised that if you wrap the SM it would stop it from transmitting. So all the videos I've seen on Youtube showing you how to fit a Faraday cage to a SM, that stops it from transmitting, so are all these people having disputes with their energy providers? And secondly, is there then no way to protect yourself from EMFs from SMs?

Power density drops off quickly according to the inverse square law, so maybe you are sufficiently far enough removed from it.
I looked at a couple of youtubes about this; very interesting. Would the inverse square law also apply to a SM?

As above - there may be a critical power exposure level for you, and beyond a certain distance the power density falls too low to affect you. This is something that is definitely worth regularly dowsing, to see if that distance changes over time. That would be a good gauge of developing sensitivity.
That's a good suggestion and I will remember how it performed last time for a comparison.

Lynnie
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Lynnie wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:11 am So all the videos I've seen on Youtube showing you how to fit a Faraday cage to a SM, that stops it from transmitting, so are all these people having disputes with their energy providers? And secondly, is there then no way to protect yourself from EMFs from SMs?
It would depend on the effectiveness of the Farday cage. They may just cut down the power level leaving enough of a signal to get through to the provider. In the US many of them are on the outside wall of the house and people install heavy screening on the interior side.

Would the inverse square law also apply to a SM?
Yes, the inverse square law applies to all forms of energy. Inverse Square Law.
Grahame
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Yes, the inverse square law applies to all forms of energy. Inverse Square Law.
Thank you, Graeme, for some reason that makes me feel ridiculously happy! :)
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

It's all about the power density. So, although I can pick up at least 6 Wi-Fi networks around me at home from neighbouring flats, the power density is low enough that it doesn't affect me (much). But if I have my own Wi-Fi switched on and am sitting within a couple of metres, I can feel the radiation in the back of my head and it would stop me sleeping.

Also the neighbour's Wi-Fi signal is just strong enough that I can log into that to update my phone without needing to turn mine on. :mrgreen:
Grahame
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Grahame wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 pm It's all about the power density. So, although I can pick up at least 6 Wi-Fi networks around me at home from neighbouring flats, the power density is low enough that it doesn't affect me (much). But if I have my own Wi-Fi switched on and am sitting within a couple of metres, I can feel the radiation in the back of my head and it would stop me sleeping.

Also the neighbour's Wi-Fi signal is just strong enough that I can log into that to update my phone without needing to turn mine on. :mrgreen:
Yes, I recall when I was new to all this and got my first laptop the wifi would show all the neighbouring signals and I'd think, oh goody, when it said the signal was weak. Very shortly after, I decided to go all wired including turning off the settings on laptop and router.

Interestingly, I work from home occasionally on a works laptop which I can't turn off the wifi signal, although it's plugged into my router with a cable. Using the recent experience in the office as a template, I dowsed for any EMF in my lounge and the pendulum was still. As I moved into my office room, it began to swing gently in a anti-clockwise motion until I was standing over the works laptop.

When I was in the office, the pendulum was swinging anti-clockwise at say a 9 out of 10 for size of swing. At home, it was about a weak 2 out of 10 but the really interesting thing is, when I fired up my completely wired personal laptop, the pendulum came still again, almost like the energy of the wired laptop cancelled out or calmed the EMF from the works' laptop!