The state of dowsing...

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!
Nigel
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter

The state of dowsing...

Post by Nigel » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:34 pm

First off, let me say that it's nice to be on a forum which isn't run by me or Maggie. Hats off to Grahame for doing this. I know the work involved.
I am pretty sure that everyone here (especially those who post) are convinced that dowsing is a useful tool in their lives. When I started, there was no internet, few books and odd meetings taking place far away from me. I was on my own.
The first forum I was on some time later was lively and full of discussions about various aspects of dowsing and dowsing-related subjects. It seemed the future of dowsing was bright.
However, now there is a plethora of sites about dowsing, many books written and much easier access all round, it seems that there is less interest.
I say this because here dowsing groups are fast disappearing, even in places like Sedona, a very new-agey place indeed. The fora available are less active now with more lurkers and fewer posters. We had a Facebook group with over 2,000 members, only a very few of which ever posted anything and of those a small proportion showed awareness of the value of the skill while the rest lurked or tried to post adverts for sunglasses and luggage.
I don't know what the state of dowsing groups in the UK is like or whether membership of the BSD is rising or falling (in the US, the ASD is falling apart and is losing members).
What I am interested in is why dowsing has not captured the attention, interest and activity of more people when information is more easily available? Is that easy access the reason? Is it that people have now become lookers-on and lurkers rather than participants? Is there too much information about which is causing confusion?
For myself, I know very well that dowsing plays a vital role in my life, acting as something I reach for to use to help guide decisions and actions when necessary. It enriches my life. And, because of that, I would, of course, be overjoyed to have others discover it for themselves and gain benefit from its use.
And yet.... Dowsing seems to be in decline.
Have any members here noticed anything about the state of dowsing or have any views as to the overall health of it? Better yet, has anyone any ideas how (or, indeed, if) dowsing could be revitalized? (Not that I am expecting actions to follow. I'm more interested in discussion as I suspect that it is a societal problem, and not easily remedied in a moment or two.)