Stellarium

Media reports from the scientific and natural world, not specifically about dowsing.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Re: Stellarium

Post by Ian Pegler »

Stellarium now has a plug-in called "ArchaeoLines". Great for archeoastronomy. There's also a 3D landscapes plugin, which looks neat, if only I knew how to use it.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Ian Pegler wrote:there's also a 3D landscapes plugin, which looks neat, if only I knew how to use it.
Yes, I've been curious about that one myself Ian. I can't get it to do anything. I don't know if there are special landscapes that have to be used? Can't find anything on the wiki either.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

There is a new Stellarium user guide available. It's in pdf format and you have to sign in to download it, but looks good!
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Ian Pegler wrote:there's also a 3D landscapes plugin, which looks neat, if only I knew how to use it.
I just got this working! On the lower panel, there are 3 circular icons towards the middle of the screen. The centre one brings up the settings dialogue. You have to load a 'scene' first, and then CTRL+ cursor keys lets you move around. There are only two scenes to choose from, and frankly the graphics are pretty crude in both of them - the 'test' scene in particular is like an early 8-bit rendering of Doom! :lol:

But things can only get better I guess.
Grahame
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Slightly OT here, but I am loving the EH 'Skyscape' page that puts you right at the centre of Stonehenge with a semi-live 360 degree view. It has markers for summer and winter solstices and shows paths of the sun, moon and planets across the sky; you can also select different times of day/night.
It's a bit like a live version of Stellarium actually.

Check it out HERE.
Grahame
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

The next talk in the Journal of Skyscape Archaeology keynote lecture series on Tuesday 12 January 2021 is about creating landscapes in Stellarium:
http://sophia-project.net/lectures-and- ... .php#zotti
Grahame
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

There is a new 3D landscape of Calanais stones for Stellarium 1.2 and above, it's the first public 3D dataset for Stellarium, produced by Archaeoptics and Callanish Digital Design.

It's a little clunky to move the viewing position around the landscape, but it looks pretty accurate.

Download the 3D landscape from here.
Grahame