Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers conclude

for Archaeology news reports and discussions.
Post Reply
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert
Posts: 2822
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: Borth, Mid Wales

Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers conclude

Post by Ian Pegler »

from the BBC...
Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers conclude

Building Stonehenge was a way to unify the people of Stone Age Britain, researchers have concluded.
CLICK HERE for the article.

Sounds like propaganda for the Olympics...is that why they built an inflatable version??

Ian
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Wigtown, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers concl

Post by simonwheeler »

"Perhaps they saw this place as the centre of the world"
perhaps...perhaps...perhaps....
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert
Posts: 2822
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: Borth, Mid Wales

Re: Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers concl

Post by Ian Pegler »

The SRP team found that its solstice-aligned avenue sits upon a series of natural landforms that, by chance, form an axis between the directions of midsummer sunrise and midwinter sunset.
This statement requires serious scrutiny. What is meant by "chance" ? Are they saying that such an alignment could not possibly occur elsewhere, or, if there was something like this elsewhere, wouldn't that make it an obvious candidate as a site for Stonehenge?

And even if the landform axis is "natural" how can we be sure it's down to chance?

The late Gerald Hawkins noted that if Stonehenge had been built further north than Oxford or further south than Bournemouth then the rectangle made by the four station stones would need to become considerably distorted for them to maintain their astronomical significance. (see Appendix C, Callanish, a Scottish Stonehenge in Stonehenge Decoded by Gerald Hawkins). He says that Callanish and Stonehenge "are both at critical latitudes".

So is it coincidence that this landform axis occurs within the critical latitude bracket?

Ian
mike
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Professional
Professional
Posts: 4582
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:46 pm
Location: coventry

Re: Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers concl

Post by mike »

This report again mentions nothing of the huge natural earth forces passing through the area at this precise point within and close to the stone circle, WHY, dont they think this is the reason the stones were placed here to mark this unique position...The fact the stones mark the rising Sun and setting Moon is secondary to the site, what you see is NOT what you have here good people, much more exists here from many thousands of years ago, found in those early times by people of great learning and skills we can but marvel at....Its time Stonehenge was seen for what it really is, a wonder of the age, unique and special from our planets very early age, recording the natural earth force of the planet, AND perhaps this small corner of the Universe.
User avatar
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:49 pm

Re: Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers concl

Post by ledgehammer »

Ian Pegler wrote:
The SRP team found that its solstice-aligned avenue sits upon a series of natural landforms that, by chance, form an axis between the directions of midsummer sunrise and midwinter sunset.
This statement requires serious scrutiny. What is meant by "chance" ? Are they saying that such an alignment could not possibly occur elsewhere, or, if there was something like this elsewhere, wouldn't that make it an obvious candidate as a site for Stonehenge?

And even if the landform axis is "natural" how can we be sure it's down to chance?

The late Gerald Hawkins noted that if Stonehenge had been built further north than Oxford or further south than Bournemouth then the rectangle made by the four station stones would need to become considerably distorted for them to maintain their astronomical significance. (see Appendix C, Callanish, a Scottish Stonehenge in Stonehenge Decoded by Gerald Hawkins). He says that Callanish and Stonehenge "are both at critical latitudes".

So is it coincidence that this landform axis occurs within the critical latitude bracket?

Ian
Ian,

Glad to hear you are versed in G.H's work, I studied his "table of probability" and it is a narrow minded opinion to discard this, unfortunatly those intergrated into this work today tend to disregard his work, even when in "beyond stonehenge" he countered the arguements against and blew them into the water with the callanesh sightline.

Im pretty sure its considered that the station stones do represent the alignments - even with what I consider Skeptical experts they seem to agree on this one (well this has been my experience anyway), what is contested is the lunar alignments and the x and y holes which since his research it has become known there is an additional one which lies under one of the fallen stones so therefore do not resemble the months in the way which he suggested, unfortunatly making the "complete" calender theory a weaker arguement.

The problem is there simply isn't "beyond a shadow of a doubt" data , and in the abscence of data we should be logical and reasonable, fact becomes probability. His further work around the world showed alignments to solar and lunar events to be either an extreme coincidence or more reasonably connected to the site. I think the same should be applied with earth energy lines.

P.S Perhaps Stonehenge was built as a neolithic Restaraunt...

Best wishes

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert
Posts: 2822
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: Borth, Mid Wales

Re: Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers concl

Post by Ian Pegler »

Hi Tom

Yes, I bought a copy of G H.'s classic in Avebury, years before I got interested in dowsing.

What would he have made of Stellarium?? It's interesting to note that even a simple 1980's home computer could probably have done the same work as Gerald's IBM 7090 with its "50,000 transistors, 125,000 resistors and 500,000 connectors joined by some twenty miles of wire."!!!!!

Technology!
P.S Perhaps Stonehenge was built as a neolithic Restaraunt...
I've often thought that I should open a steak-house in the Horse-Shoe Pass called "Valle Crucis and the Grill". That way I might get some hits on my website! :lol:

Ian
User avatar
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:49 pm

Re: Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers concl

Post by ledgehammer »

Ian Pegler wrote:Hi Tom

Yes, I bought a copy of G H.'s classic in Avebury, years before I got interested in dowsing.

What would he have made of Stellarium?? It's interesting to note that even a simple 1980's home computer could probably have done the same work as Gerald's IBM 7090 with its "50,000 transistors, 125,000 resistors and 500,000 connectors joined by some twenty miles of wire."!!!!!

Technology!
P.S Perhaps Stonehenge was built as a neolithic Restaraunt...
I've often thought that I should open a steak-house in the Horse-Shoe Pass called "Valle Crucis and the Grill". That way I might get some hits on my website! :lol:

Ian
Ian,

yes I seem to recall the computer he used was bigger than my living room!

Lol indeed!

Im there, a nice 7oz fillet on the house?

best wishes

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert
Posts: 2822
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: Borth, Mid Wales

Re: Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers concl

Post by Ian Pegler »

ledgehammer wrote:Lol indeed!

Im there, a nice 7oz fillet on the house?
You want friars with that?

:mrgreen:

Ian
User avatar
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:49 pm

Re: Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers concl

Post by ledgehammer »

Ian Pegler wrote:
ledgehammer wrote:Lol indeed!

Im there, a nice 7oz fillet on the house?
You want friars with that?

:mrgreen:

Ian
Ian,

Im all out of puns Im afraid, Thats "medium rare" I know, but there you go....

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
mike
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Professional
Professional
Posts: 4582
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:46 pm
Location: coventry

Re: Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers concl

Post by mike »

Grill it gentle on both sides, while you LEY in the sun.... 8)
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert
Posts: 2822
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: Borth, Mid Wales

Re: Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers concl

Post by Ian Pegler »

Back on topic, sort of...

from the BBC..
Stonehenge visitor centre and road closure project starts

A £27m project at Stonehenge to build a new visitor centre and close the road alongside the monument has begun.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Love, light and peas

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert
Posts: 2822
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2004 12:04 pm
Location: Borth, Mid Wales

Re: Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers concl

Post by Ian Pegler »

Ian Pegler wrote:I've often thought that I should open a steak-house in the Horse-Shoe Pass called "Valle Crucis and the Grill". That way I might get some hits on my website! :lol:
Me and my big mouth...!
Llangollen Brewery Launches Holy Grail Of Ales

The award-winning Llangollen Brewery has created a new beer called Holy Grail Ale.

It’s been inspired by a local legend involving the great Cistercian abbey of Valle Crucis and Dinas Bran Castle, on the hilltop towering over the town.
CLICK HERE for the story.

Ian
User avatar
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient
Posts: 1373
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Stonehenge was built to unify Britain, researchers concl

Post by Grahame »

Pete Glastonbury alerted me to this selection of pictures of the 1954 Stonehenge reconstruction. Fascinating stuff. Few people today realise just how much reconstruction of the monument has been done over the years.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Post Reply