'Newly discovered' stone circle in Aberdeenshire

for Archaeology news reports and discussions.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

'Newly discovered' stone circle in Aberdeenshire

Post by Grahame »

This is a bit of an embarrassment - archaeologists have announced the discovery of a previously-unknown recumbent stone circle on a farm in Aberdeenshire. How it managed to escape attention for all these years is a bit of a mystery. I guess everyone just assumed that somebody else must know about it?
Aberdeenshire Council wrote:A newly-identified Recumbent Stone Circle has been recorded on a farm in Aberdeenshire, in the parish of Leochel-Cushnie.

Despite being a complete stone circle that has obviously been known and respected by those who have farmed the area over the years, it has been unknown to archaeologists until now.
Aberdeenshire has the densest population of stone circles in the UK; maybe there are more waiting to be 'discovered'!

Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Re: 'Newly discovered' stone circle in Aberdeenshire

Post by mike »

Just found this, its exciting news and from the pictures its the real thing, loads of energy and its special no doubt, come back here soon.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Well I have looked all around Leochel-Cushnie Aberdeenshire and I cannot find the Stone Circle on Google Earth, but towards the west from there a short distance is two sites which offer Sacred Ground both very close to farms, and both having Leys from the east and from the north passing through.I looked from distance and close up on GE but these are the only two sites that stand out for me at the moment, both the picture of the stone circle and one of the sites dowse at 4100 years since the site became active, so I go with that one.Without more details I have to think either site could hide the stone circle, nothing is showing very plain to see from GE so till the lady sings Im happy its out there and VERY genuine.Question is why has this site gone unnoticed for so long, sounds like its hidden away someplace and distance from the public roads, only time will tell ??
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

mike wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:09 pm Well I have looked all around Leochel-Cushnie Aberdeenshire and I cannot find the Stone Circle on Google Earth
I think that's why it's remained undiscovered for this length of time! :lol: :lol:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Yes Grahame I think your right, its so easy today to scan a large area on Google Earth but its not always possible to pin point some small area if the detail is poor.Often a field will have something which looks like a stone circle, but will turn out to be something else like where the farm machinery gets spun round to face the gate ready for the next time out.The forces on site will always give the game away so you can use them to pin point some ancient site better if you are not sure, but again lack of detail on the ground does not help get closer....The Stone Circle may not be very easy to find, but to the West a little are two places where it might be, we have to wait for a more precise position me thinks :mrgreen:
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Now this really IS embarrassing - the 'thousands of years old' recumbent circle turns out to have been constructed back in the 90s, according to the BBC.
Neil Ackerman, historic environment record assistant at Aberdeenshire Council, said the development was "disappointing", but hoped the site would still be appreciated.
I thought the stones looked a bit too new and uniform. Ah well, it's not the first new circle up there, and I'm sure it won't be the last.
Grahame
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

At the time I posted a lot on this stone circle on Megalithoc Portal,I believe the stone circle to be genuine and very old,but the farmer is claiming he knows who made it in the past.The soil within the stone circle will be very high in nitrogen,much higher than outside the circle,this is the bleaching of thousands of years of natural earth forces at this unique site.It happens at every ancient site the world over,the natural forces change the PH of the soil, while outside the stone circle it will be at normal levels.I understand why farmers don't want the world and his dog from walking all over his fields and farm,but its all out heritage we are talking about here....From time to time this happens,like the Bentley Fields Farm site,a wonderful ancient site declared modern because the farmer said he placed the stone row along his lane .When at each stone there is a deep fault line is underneath each stone,nine fault lines here which connect with other ancient sites to the east and west of that position.So this path of fault lines remains unknown,with no name and little chance of ever becoming recorded part of our heritage because of one farmer who dont want people visiting here.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I really do hate it when a farmer says he made the stone circle, or his father made it just after ww2. I understand why they say this because they dont want hundreds of people walking the fields leaving gates open and parking in the lanes clogging them up, BUT its our Heritage here and records should be updated for historic reasons. This Scottish stone circle has both Leys and deep fault lines within this formation, its a cracker, and should be examined and pictured for the history books if NOTHING ELSE.