Stonehenge may have French Origins !

for Archaeology news reports and discussions.
Rory
Novice
Novice

Stonehenge may have French Origins !

Post by Rory »

Back posting on this forum again after a break of probably more than 12 years.

Just had a read through of a most interesting paper on megaliths around Europe titled:-

Radiocarbon dates and Bayesian modeling support maritime diffusion model for megaliths in Europe

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2019 ... 1813268116

It has some interesting timeline maps and I thought readers of this forum might be interested.

Personally I think that there was not one area where it all began on this map. I think that a diaspora from a separate area led to new communities at several coastal sites around Western Europe at around the same time. What do you think?
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Stonehenge may have French Origins !

Post by Grahame »

Hi Rory, good to have you back on board.

There's some interesting results in that paper, I always thought that the megaliths on Malta were older than anywhere else, but apparently Brittany is the oldest.

Given the sheer concentration of sites in Brittany I've always seen it as a central 'training school' for megalith building, where techninques were experimented with and then disseminated; but that doesn't rule out independent centres arising elsewhere, especially when you consider the huge variety of styles in different countries. I think it's probably a mix of both.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

Although I doubt very much whether Stonehenge has any French Connections I am very much taken with your idea, Grahame, that Brittany was a training ground gor megalith builders, in fact, my dowsing confirms that. I would think the various forms of megalith design were disseminated by the crews of ships travelling from port to port and that resulted in megaliths being erected in ciastal or near coastal areas. Some friends of mine have translated , from the Ukrainian, a great deal about the Arattagar civilisation that existed in Ukraine in around 16,000 BCE that eventually spread in all directions. They used monolith and megalithic designs and their methods of mass burial were recently discovered on the Isle of Skye. My friends have published a book on that civilisation. I think it costs about £36. Million
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Rory
Novice
Novice

Post by Rory »

Thanks Grahame, Geoff. Brittany is certainly getting more interest lately. I will have to get over there soon to do some dowsing. I too thought the article was interesting in that it was accepting the idea of seafaring Stone Age people. We perhaps have to be mindful that some of the dates may not be that exact as sampling errors are not discussed and we know how easy it is for carbon dating to be done on secondary material that accumulated at the same site many years later. Thanks for the Aratta heads up to Geoff. Some remote dowsing at some of their graves in Ukraine might be interesting to do.
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

If you are interested in the Ukraine civilisation I mentioned, may I suggest you put Dr Tim Hooker Arattagar Megalithomania on Google. You will then find three videos where Tim and Lee explain what they discovered.
Tim and Lee were noth members of Bristol Dowsers many years ago.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)