ESSEX DRUID BURIAL

for Archaeology news reports and discussions.
griff
Novice
Novice

ESSEX DRUID BURIAL

Post by griff »

A report in the Independent on the recently discovered Druid Burial near Colchester mentions a number of mysterious metal rods found with the body. Have any members any more information on this as to the size or shape of these and what metal?

click here for the article.

(mod - link corrected. Griff, please check these before posting! GG)
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Re: ESSEX DRUID BURIAL

Post by Satyr »

Griff, why don't you try dowsing to see if you can figure out more about the metal rods. I will try do so and let you know if I find out anything, but I will probably only be able to do it next week sometime. Very interesting article by the way, I find the duids fascinating.
Practice random acts of kindness
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

The article seems to suggest that the poles are of different lengths ("in a specific order"). Possibly they are 'standard lengths' of measurement, like a megalithic yardstick? Now that would be exciting, as I don't think any physical evidence of the megalithic yard has yet been found.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Post by Satyr »

When dowsing the metal rods briefly, I am getting that they were used for divination, like a type of ogham pole. I would be interested to know if there are any markings on the rods. I am getting that there my be runic or some other runic type alphabet inscribed on the poles. As the rods were found near the surgical instruments, I wondered if they were perhaps used to divine the outcome of whatever surgery was undertaken on a patient and I'm getting a YES, that they were. The Druid buried there was probably a surgeon himself, hence being buried with his tools.

If anyone dowses on the info in this article, I would be very interested to hear what you find out.
Practice random acts of kindness
CelticMoon

Post by CelticMoon »

Funny you should mention Colchester, that is my hometown. :shock: As it happens, the romans built on the ancient Druid sites and there are several of them lurking around on sheepen heath and shrub end, amongst other areas. As for the rods, not quite certain, perhaps check on the Colchester Archaological trust site? You're more likely to find information there! Cheers.
Old Bob

Post by Old Bob »

Read about megalithic yard and understand it is the length of a pendulum that beats a one second beat. Lots of interesting stuff on weights and measure that tie metric and imperial stuff together in the book "Who Built the Moon" the time was worked out on star movement between sightings of marked points.
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

Read about megalithic yard and understand it is the length of a pendulum that beats a one second beat.
I'm not sure I understand this! Could someone clarify what this means please? :oops:
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

If a pendulum is set swinging and is allowed to swing freely (without the influence of a dowser's hand, or the wind etc.) then it swings according to the physics principles known as Simple Harmonic Motion.

According to Wikipedia (!!!) the period of the swing under these circumstances is given by the formula:

T = 2 * PI * square-root ( l / g)

where l is the length (in metres) of the cord and g is the constant representing acceleration due to gravity in metres per second squared (on Earth this is 9.81 )

So first we have to convert feet to metres:

1 foot = 0.3048 metres

Megalithic Yard = 2.72 feet, which we convert to metric:

2.72 * 0.3048 = 0.829056 metres

Plugging this into the formula we get:

2 * 3.142.. * square-root of ( 0.829056 / 9.81 )

This gives T = 1.826574112 seconds

Can anyone see any errors in my method?? :shock:

Ian
griff
Novice
Novice

Post by griff »

Most of us elderly dowsers use the foot (12") measure for depth in water sourcing, and the cloth yard (36") for distance away @ ground level. My attempts to dowse using the metric system have proved spectaculary unsuccessfull (sp.?) ! :shock: I guess this relates to early musketry instruction and military training so visualisation comes naturally to us.
Apropos the length of the metal rods found at the burial site; I never managed to find anything about this, has anyone else please?

Regards
Griff 8)
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

These was also found a board game with glass counters & one comment in Wiki states that "some people believe this board may also have been used along with the metal rods for divining purposes."
The most enigmatic objects in the grave were a set of eight rods, which came in two sizes, between 35 and 40cm long, with four of copper and four of iron accompanied by eight copper alloy rings, approximately 3cm in diameter. It is these mysterious rods that have led some people to believe that the ‘doctor’ may also have been a ‘druid’ who was using the rods to practice the art of divination.
This from honour.org.uk and may be of interest.

The board game interests me as it smacks of Hesse's Glass Bead Game - a kind of synthesis of human learning! :mrgreen:
griff
Novice
Novice

Post by griff »

Thanks for that Helen. The length of these rods indicates that in modern times such probes would have been used as earth spikes for the measurement of neutral-earth fault loop impedance and the impedance of a lightning conductor discharge grounding field. Could it be remotely possible that these rods were used to attract lightning? Or even more remotely that time travel will eventually deliver an electrician or scientist back to Roman Britain? :idea:

regards Griff :roll:

PS. Perhaps we are unable to dowse for it because it hasn't happened yet!
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

remotely that time travel will eventually deliver an electrician or scientist back to Roman Britain? :idea: Or forum dowser :lol: