Llangollen's Holy Grail legend - new research

the place to post any media reports about dowsers and dowsing .
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Re: Llangollen's Holy Grail legend - new research

Post by Ian Pegler »

Close-up detail of a grave-slab at Valle Crucis abbey. It appears to show a swastika. Strangely enough, this b/w photo shows it
up more clearly than the colour ones!

Image (link broken)

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

from my news-feed...
Ian Pegler wrote:Rev. Owen articles 29/11/2013

I managed to dig out some ancient articles from the Llangollen Advertiser written by Rev. H. T. Owen who excavated the cloister etc. of Valle Crucis abbey and claimed to have found Roman Baths.

In an article dating to 3rd Nov. 1899 he speaks of;

"...a Roman bath, and with heating apparatus, but partially destroyed ... it is a sulphur bath ... A lady told me that it smells of Mount Vesuvius"

He also speaks of "volcanic eruptions near the Velvet Hill" (i.e. Coed Hyrddin) and adds "so there will be some grand bathing places for visitors by next summer" although clearly this didn't exactly go as planned.

In a letter dated Jan 19th 1894, he refers to the modern road passing by the abbey as a "burial ground" and says that one of the abbey porches was discovered under it.

He was keen to employ the abbey for tourism purposes but wanted local trades-people to contribute to the cost of the excavations. He adds:

"Not many towns in Wales can boast of such an ancient monument as Valle Crucis, some portions dating back to Saxon if not to Roman times - no doubt, from the time of king Arthur, when knights of old traversed the country, some in quest of the Saint Greal".

He said it, not me... ;-)

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

A new short article by me on the "Black Book of Basingwerk" - a manuscript which was originally penned at Valle Crucis.

Dark Times - Solar Eclipses in the Black Book of Basingwerk - CLICK HERE (PDF file 113 KB) (link broken)

Enjoy

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Recent blog post by Prof. Howard Williams on his excavations at the Pillar of Eliseg...
Prof Howard Williams wrote:Stone monuments of the Early Middle Ages are profitably considered as an important commemorative medium. They were more than stores of social and religious memories for early medieval individuals and communities through their carving and placement.
http://howardwilliamsblog.wordpress.com ... of-memory/

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

from the Shropshire Star...
Offa's Dyke may not be made by Offa

It's called Offa's Dyke - but today experts came up with the startling revelation that it may have nothing to do with King Offa.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

See also Prof. Howard Williams' latest blog...

An Offa that can be refused? Mercia’s past of might and memory

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Interesting blog post from Prof. Howard Williams on Valle Crucis and photos of the grave slabs that are hidden to the general public, concealed beneath trap doors...

(apart from the first one which everyone misses because they never look up, owing to the low ceiling... it's at the foot of the stairs that lead up to the monk's dormitory)

CLICK HERE fgor the blog post...

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

from North Wales News...
Prehistoric axe discovered near Llangollen

A bronze socketed axe fragment and a similar base fragment were the subject of a treasure trove inquest held at Wrexham Guildhall yesterday.
CLICK HERE to read the article. (link broken)

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Latest from the blog of Prof. Howard Williams:
Sharing the Treasures at Llangollen Museum

... Most interesting is a mock-up display of the Bronze Age cremation burial in a cist that we excavated in 2012, situated in front of the replica pillar.
So if the public were happy with a mock-up of cremated remains at Llangollen, why would they not be happy with mock-up displays at the Stonehenge visitor centre?

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

from News North Wales...
Fairytales and myths come to life at Llangollen festival

FAIRYTALES, myths and legends came to life at a festival over the weekend.

The second annual Llangollen Faery Festival took place at Llangollen Pavilion on Saturday and Sunday.
CLICK HERE (link broken) to read the story.

P.S. I may have mentioned it before but Llangollen also has its own Mind Body and Spirit Festival (link broken) Llangollen Light.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

IMPORTANT NOTICE

The original projecteliseg.org website was closed down and the domain seems to have been taken over by someone else.

I urge you not to click on any links going to the old project eliseg.org site - that includes links from this thread which I don't seem able to delete!

There is a brand new blog here, which replaces the old site:

https://projecteliseg.wordpress.com/

Ian
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Hi Ian,
I've updated those links for you. I don't know why you couldn't edit the posts yourself though - very odd.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Edit yes, delete no.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

The Pillar Of Eliseg was once on Sacred Ground and was a very powerful spot, but in my opinion the Ley to the east is broken now and its lost its ancient power which is a pity.Another active site today is on the hill to the west of the Abbey a short distance away, it has a lot of history this old building and site when you dowse the area.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

CADW have just released a fantastic 3D virtual model of Valle Crucis, which allows you to walk around the site:

https://www.4piproductions.com/vallecrucis/.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

That's interesting!

Ian