The Guardian, "UK water firms admit using divining rods...."

the place to post any media reports about dowsers and dowsing .
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: The Guardian, "UK water firms admit using divining rods...."

Post by Grahame »

Ian Pegler wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:38 am Same old same old..
And yet... the Grauniad has posted an almost-balanced piece about dowsing, even giving John Baker a good plug, despite spouting the usual Chris French party line. Why not test dowsers in a natural environment instead of asking them to dowse for hidden bottles of water?
The Guardian wrote:Dowsing for facts: can a sceptic find science in water witchery?
Used by water companies but debunked by science, crossing rods in Wiltshire has this writer intrigued
Nestling in the shadow of a white horse and a Neolithic long barrow, in a renowned crop circle hotspot, Alton Priors, in Wiltshire, feels like the perfect venue for a spot of water witchery. Prompted by the news that Thames Water and Severn Trent Water use dowsing rods to detect water leaks, I’ve arranged to meet my mum – a geologist and amateur dowser – to investigate the phenomenon for myself.
Full report HERE.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Talk of gauntlets thrown down, blindfold tests, links to CSICOP documents and "Enemies of Reason" footage, quotes from French, uses pseudo-skeptical nomenclature herself, not a single mention of any of the science done which affirms dowsing and in defence of dowsing we have ... Mr. Baker and Linda's mum!

Ian
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Ian Pegler wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:15 am not a single mention of any of the science done which affirms dowsing and in defence of dowsing we have
I did say almost balanced... :D
Meanwhile, someone on Twitter has linked to a blog post by Robert McLuhan from the 2017 sceptics outbreak, which goes into some detail about the Betz dowsing trials with Hans Schroeder and GTZ. I wish I'd seen this at the time:

https://monkeywah.typepad.com/paranorma ... -news.html

Related thread: University of Munich Dowsing Studies (Prof Hans Dieter Betz)
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.