MATRIX PHILOSOPHY (summary)

Esoteric discussions, spiritual ruminations, metaphysical mutterings etc.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

An interesting YouTube video...

This is a summary of opinions on the philosophy of The Matrix movies.
CLICK HERE (link broken) for the YouTube page.

Ian
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Re: MATRIX PHILOSOPHY (summary)

Post by Lyndon Ronstadt »

I often wonder who funds these anti-establishment movies? :?: :?: :?:
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Lyndon Ronstadt wrote:I often wonder who funds these anti-establishment movies? :?: :?: :?:
have you seen the films Lyndon ?
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Post by arthur hamlin »

I have looked at the film clip and hope this is not the way we are going - people who are hard faced without showing much happy emotion and militant.
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

The question is are the sheep being released from their pens by movies such as this (in the belief that they are being freed) simply to be driven into other forms of captivity. Are we being panicked about the power of the establishment - by the establishment? Hence my question on funding.

I find such films grotesque in their portrayals of supposed facts and, as the grotesque has a negative effect on the human emotions, suspect the motivation behind them.
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

ledgehammer wrote:
Lyndon Ronstadt wrote:I often wonder who funds these anti-establishment movies? :?: :?: :?:
Lyndon, this may help release your memory the truth is out there..........but you have to see it for yourself......

Alternatively:
you could read this
The Matrix remains an icon of cinema, a pop-culture touchstone for a generation and one of the most genre-smashing films to ever come from a major studio. Revelatory, revolutionary, and by far one of the most influential films of the last decade (by a vast margin), The Matrix deservedly slots easily into that oft-touted cliche of “a classic”.
Have you seen the films, Lyndon?
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Lyndon Ronstadt wrote:
The question is are the sheep being released from their pens by movies such as this (in the belief that they are being freed) simply to be driven into other forms of captivity. Are we being panicked about the power of the establishment - by the establishment? Hence my question on funding.

I find such films grotesque in their portrayals of supposed facts and, as the grotesque has a negative effect on the human emotions, suspect the motivation behind them.
take that as a no then.

tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

I shall crawl into a corner and mumble to myself, I'm on a hiding to nothing here. :x
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Well, I HAVE seen the movies.

I imediately think of the episode of Red Dwarf called Back to Reality (link broken) which raises the question, how do you know the world you've "woken up" to after leaving the "matrix", "total immersion video game" (or whatever) is the real world?

One illusiory world might be just as convincing as another. What's your yardstick for deciding which is the real thing?

Ian
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Ian Pegler wrote:Well, I HAVE seen the movies.

I imediately think of the episode of Red Dwarf called Back to Reality which raises the question, how do you know the world you've "woken up" to after leaving the "matrix", "total immersion video game" (or whatever) is the real world?

One illusiory world might be just as convincing as another. What's your yardstick for deciding which is the real thing?

Ian
Ian, indeed there are many films and sci fi series that use that, I.e you think they have woken up but there is a twist in that they are still asleep. the matrix films were great, they took an idea which Is based on some of the Tao and Buddhist ideas and a film called dark city, and translated them into a format everybody can understand. it is by no means a new idea but I personally took a lot from the film, it opened new avenues of thought and creativity. many of the ideas are metaphors I.e chaos / order, neo /agent smith, balance and duality, some great concepts used well. it is a Hollywood production however and the film works to a plot (it has to) and perhaps it is very simplistic (it has to be), it shares features of Hollywood films that you have to look through. the concept if anything has liberated people , especially when the film was released. if there are those who allow themselves to be taken away by the film that is no issue. of the film and has no bearing on my opinion of the film.

Lyndon , sorry if I have offended you but I will make my point if I feel its valid and if you had have watched the films I would have enjoyed a discussion on the films, in line with the original topic.

best wishes

tom
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

I would suggest that for the majority of us there is ONLY one reality as defined by the laws of physics, and memory of past experience: if we can remember where we've been we can make comparisons with where we are now and form a conclusion. In ordinary dreams the reasoning faculty is suspended and we are helpless in that state. That reasoning faculty may be inhibited in our waking reality by fretting about theoretical considerations we cannot hope to answer. Thus, while for all practical purposes the physical plane on which we currently live IS our reality, confusions about its nature and properties could be destabilising to the human psyche and thus open the way for future manipulation by those who are not thus confused.

If something momentous happens (a UFO on the White House lawn: the return of Christ etc) then we can be manipulated into believing it is not a real event but simply a temporary incursion of another reality.

It's not the fact that we apparently cannot know the nature of reality that is the issue for me but the potentially destabilising effect of widespread belief that nothing that threatens the establisher order is real.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Lyndon Ronstadt wrote:there is ONLY one reality as defined by the laws of physics
To anyone reading this: what is meant by the phrase "laws of physics" and where did they come from?

Ian
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Ian Pegler wrote:
Lyndon Ronstadt wrote:there is ONLY one reality as defined by the laws of physics
To anyone reading this: what is meant by the phrase "laws of physics" and where did they come from?

Ian
Ian, my opinion;

there are a general set if rules that fit the majority. of circumstances (like a default). there is a link between conciousness and physical actions, in which with the correct thought process the default can be manipulated slightly. it is not always clear if the matter has acted differently or those witnessing experienced a link"change or shift in reality" (multi verse theorem ). it has been found that conciousness and group meditation has an effect in the behaviour of atoms . there are in all probability that there are places within the physics matter in which the laws are different also (navel s of the earth). what I have often wondered is what a wall would look like if everyone looking at the wall thought it was a giant hippo - how would someone looking at the wall for the first time would see as a result.

best wishes

tom
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

ledgehammer wrote:there are a general set if rules that fit the majority. of circumstances (like a default)
I already know that they exist. What I asked for was a definition of the phrase and a reason for their existence.

Ian
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Ian Pegler wrote:
ledgehammer wrote:there are a general set if rules that fit the majority. of circumstances (like a default)
I already know that they exist. What I asked for was a definition of the phrase and a reason for their existence.

Ian
Ian , I see the phrase as the definition. They exist In one sense to allow the human race to agree on what is possible, which have many benefits. one could also argue that they are meant to ground and confine, as a control mechanism.

best wishes

Tom