Witchcraft

Esoteric discussions, spiritual ruminations, metaphysical mutterings etc.
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

When I lived on the Isle of Wight, I took a room in a centre where all sorts of things were going on, to practice my therapies (reflexology, reiki, energy healing etc). After a few months there, the room next to me was taken by some evangelical christians, selling Fair Trade goods.

From day one, they started mumbling about 'the evil things that were being practised next door' & eventually complained to the management about me!! :? They never once spoke to me - I got all this information from other room/stall holders.

The outcome was that I was eventually politely asked to leave! :o There was a crystal shop there too - but nothing was ever said about this, probably because the owner was a well known & quite influential member of island society! :?

Christians? My @rse!
griff
Novice
Novice

Kevin Monday September 10 2007 "le Sorcier".

Post by griff »

Just as a matter of interest, I would like to point out that French whispers of "le sourcier!" do not refer to a witch or evil person, but simply translates as dowser or water diviner who locates and works on water sources, springs, wells and boreholes. Similarly the English word hellier describes a rural stonemason and not a devil worshipper.
Kevin
Novice
Novice

Post by Kevin »

Griff,
merci beaucoup,
Je suis le sourcier.
I never felt anything but admiration in France, unlike here.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, I talk Yorkshire French.
Kevin
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Abominable Harry?

Post by Ian Pegler »

For a good overview of the conservative Christian view on Harry Potter, take a look at this website:

The Abomination of Harry Potter

This makes it plain, witchcraft in all its forms, including divination, is a sin - "damnable wickedness". :twisted:

There are links at the bottom (scroll down) including a couple of BBC reports and links like "Wicca Equals Satan"

So there you are.

Ian
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Re: Witchcraft

Post by Satyr »

I know this is an old topic, but I've only recently joined the forum, so forgive my tardy reply. What the christians tend to forget is that a lot of their own festival/celebrations/holiday were actually based on even more ancient pagan holy days and festivals. Christmas trees, easer eggs and the easter bunny to name a few all hail back to pagan rites. Also witches, who practice many different types of divination don't believe in Satan/the devil, whatever you want to call him, so how can they/and or divination be evil. Thats only in the minds of christians (and mostly the zealot type I might add).
Practice random acts of kindness
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Plea for 'witches' to be pardoned

Post by Ian Pegler »

Campaigners have submitted a petition to the Scottish Parliament calling for the last woman convicted under the Witchcraft Act to be pardoned.

CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Post by Satyr »

I know, I heard about that, its great news and I hope they do it.
Rory
Novice
Novice

Post by Rory »

I read in the Daily Mail this week that in the case against Helen Duncan she was not going to receive any pardon as it was (quote) 'against the publics interest'.

One can read many things into that last quote. To me it was not in the interest of modern science nor religion as it opens up too many embarrassing and unanswerable questions from their particular points of view and that might lead to further loss of money and power.

I sense times are changing these days as a growing number of people are beginning to accept these things.
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Post by Satyr »

Aganinst the publics interest my @$$, it seems to me its against their interest. To pardon her would be to admit that they made a mistate. Too many "mistakes" like this have been made in the past and its time somebody owned up to them and put things right, its owed to her and her family.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Re: Not in the public interest

Post by Ian Pegler »

I found the link to the Daily Mail article.

CLICK HERE

It would be interesting to know why the CCRC thought that the pardoning of this woman would not be in the public interest !! :shock: :shock:

Ian
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Re: Not in the public interest

Post by Satyr »

Ian Pegler wrote:It would be interesting to know why the CCRC thought that the pardoning of this woman would not be in the public interest !! :shock: :shock:

Ian
I'd really like to know that too
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I had the experience of being called evil by a freind who was a born again Christian for dowsing, its the work of the Devil he claimed, after that we never seemed to get along, it left him very uncertain of me, while I treated him just the same, well you do dont you.But to be honest I have met something of an uncertain feeling when approaching the Church on dowsing matters, the people are polite enough, JUST not happy to have you dowsing around it seems to me...If dowsing is claimed to be the work of the Devil, pray tell me how energy lines exist in most old Churches I dowse in one form or another ? Taking the direction of the building and in many cases crossed energy lines being right under the high altar or font, you cannot have it both ways, or can you ? If I thought dowsing to be evil I would not continue with it like many of us,if fact I think its a gift from God,there Ive said it, and believe it to be true...Hi Kevin, its not your dowsing that upsets, its eating all the pies mate, see you at the Rollrights soon.
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

mike writes:
I had the experience of being called evil by a freind who was a born again Christian for dowsing, its the work of the Devil he claimed
I wonder if your friend would like to read some of the books by Joel Goldsmith? He suggests that there is no power of good and no power of evil - just God. The phrases "Let go and let God" and "God Is" spring to mind. BTW, Goldsmith died in 1964 - so not a modern "New Ager".
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Post by Satyr »

Mike, from what I have read, a lot of the really old churches were built in a time when most of the masons were in fact pagan and you'll find a lot of pagan symbolism in many of the old churches (unknown to the christians attending those churches), for the same reasons, they were built on ley/energy lines etc.
Sig

Post by Sig »

In the sixth Century CE, St Augustine led the second Christian invasion of these islands (Joseph of Arimathea led the first one to Glastonbury shortly after Christ's crucifixion). Augustine was advised by Pope Gregory to destroy the idols, but not necessarily the stone rings, and to build his churches on these pagan holy pots. This was initially why so many early Christian Churches were built on the older ley system.

But there's more, Chrisianity always borrowed ideas from other cultures. (Christmas trees and Easter eggs are but two examples.) I am sure that the builders of the cathedrals in this country knew about the ley system as well as the other tools of the previous sacred space builders - astronomical orientation and sacred geometry, just to mention two. So, the Church knew about this stuff, but as the people got more restive with the absolute control that Rome demanded, the Inquisition was one result. Of course Humanism and the Protestant Reformation were in reaction to those burning times.

As science took over magic, chemistry took over alchemy, the left brain took over the right brain, rationalism over intuition, the information about the Earth Energies, and leys and all of the other components of sacred space slipped into memory.

}:-)

Sig