The Disciplines Of Dowsing - Tom Graves & Liz P.-Wilczynk

Share your experience of non-fiction dowsing-related books and other written stuff (e.g. websites, self-published and e-books).

Moderator: simonwheeler

ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

The Disciplines Of Dowsing - Tom Graves & Liz P.-Wilczynk

Post by ledgehammer »

Hi all,

I realise many of you will have read this book so this is a recommendation for mainly those newer to dowsing.

The book itself is a fantastic guide, not to be read until basic dowsing is learnt, as this book aims to develop the mindset of the dowser, and not the basics and does not explain the dowsing process.

I found it very useful as I have found when dowsing that it can be especially difficult to dowse, and focus - giving a useful strain of results. Like any new skill I learn I tend to fluctuate and go full steam with enthusiasm, this book has helped channel this enthusiasm into results.

The book details four modes of dowsing, The Artist, The Mystic, The Scientist, and The Magician. These modes help to keep your dowsing in check, by restricting different mindsets to different dowsing activities, this is particularly useful when it comes to preventing presumptions, and self misdirection.

Discipline is an important part to any skill, it differentiates between a half hearted hobby, to a useful skill/talent. If you want accurate, relevant and useful results to your dowsing: discipline is essential. It is an area which is always developing (for me anyway!)

The book also mentions the seven sins of dubious dowsing which should also be avoided, but I won't ruin that :-)

Best wishes

Tom
Last edited by simonwheeler on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Re: The Disciplines Of Dowsing - Tom Graves & Liz P.-Wilczyn

Post by Lyndon Ronstadt »

I like the idea of the four modes and the seven sins: my perception of original thinking. Thanks for posting.
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

Lyndon Ronstadt wrote:I like the idea of the four modes and the seven sins.
Yes, me too! I love the picture on the front of the book! :lol:
whinsill

Post by whinsill »

I bought this book at the conference in Sept 2011, mainly as I'm new to dowsing (have done an intro course, albeit a long while ago) and it looked interesting. Whilst I'm happily dipping in and out of dowsing and simply getting a feel for it, what I enjoy dowsing for etc, I did like this book. I'll be re-reading it again when it's appropriate, as there's some really helpful stuff. I'm letting what I've read settle, but I very much felt that there are some very useful ways of approaching dowsing, particularly fieldwork.

Fieldwork and it's recording of are of particular interest to me, as I've seen both good and bad practice of (archaeological) recording when I worked as a field/ commercial archaeologist some years ago. Get it right and also cross reference records correctly to make the site recording/ archive accessible (for all) at a later date and the world's a lovely place. Get it wrong, or really confused and hear the shouting start... (!) Though that more explains my need for order to be created from chaos, than anything else. The perils of being a finds & environmental supervisor - "Finds must be correctly labelled and bagged, or you're not coming in the finds hut me lad[ess]!"

I do like the melding and possibilities that the artist and mystic also have. Sometimes chaos is where you're at and that's what you have to work with. But I agree that integration is one of the keys. And being respectful. And having fun.
Sue:)
Stop. Look. Listen.' Green Cross Code.