"Dowsing Magic" by Grahame Gardner

Share your experience of non-fiction dowsing-related books and other written stuff (e.g. websites, self-published and e-books).

Moderator: simonwheeler

simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

"Dowsing Magic" by Grahame Gardner

Post by simonwheeler »

Over the years I have prepared and given - and been subjected to- many PowerPoint lectures/presentations. When you know your subject well it is tricky knowing how much detail to go into, what assumptions to make about the audience, what handouts you should have to distribute, how much to say when diverted by an interesting question, and when to stop. No matter how well you have prepared, no matter how often you give the same presentation, each one will be different. Which is probably how it should be; after all, each audience is going to be different.

If you have had Grahame as a tutor at a course or workshop, some- or maybe much- of this book will be familiar. Which is the intention: this book has as its starting point Grahame's lectures and articles. However, it covers not only what you may have seen and heard in his prepared presentations, it also includes the "extras" that you only got if you were in a particular audience at a particular time.

One advantage of writing a book on your subject, especially one based on experience of giving, and constantly honing, presentations on that subject, is that the audience doesn't interrupt- obviously you're not present when they are reading, but you have a very good idea of what needs to be covered to satisfy the majority. Another advantage is that more people get to share your expertise. The disadvantage is the inability to respond to questions and points raised.

"Dowsing Magic", not only shows how thoroughly he knows his subject, he also is discriminating in how much detail he goes into. It is, therefore, appropriate for anyone new to dowsing, as well as of interest and help to those who have more "time-served". He is essentially practical in his approach and offers guidance that is sensible and possible for anybody to follow. The enthusiasm and patience he shows when giving a presentation, workshop and demonstration, come through clearly in his writing. There are all the advantages and none of the disadvantages that I mention above- and I write as somebody who has been to several of Grahame's courses and presentations.

This "Book One" covers all of the basics. There are sections on working with a pendulum, with rods, with an aurameter, a bobber; there is guidance on dowsing for water, map dowsing, using witnesses, dowsing for lost objects and missing people; there are historical stories and references, contextualising dowsing across time and cultures. And there is plenty on earth energies, leys, grids and theories thereof. He also touches on geopathic stress and the nature of reality.

Because Grahame is quite pragmatic in his world-view (I hope that's OK to write, Grahame!) he explores theory without clouding issues with magical gobbledegook.
But it's not just theory- this is a book for practitioners. Either those currently (sorry about the pun) who dowse or those who wish to dowse. It matters not what your level of expertise may be. There is something for everyone in this book.

When meeting members of the public when out dowsing it is not unusual to get into conversation with them; many are curious. There are a number of books and websites to which I refer these people. This book, "Dowsing Magic" will now go to the top of the list.

It is, I suspect, also a book I shall use for reference. The stories and anecdotes are worth another look; and as a refresher…a reminder of what is possible and the best way(s) to get results…it will be invaluable. I look forward to more in the series.

"Dowsing Magic, from water finds to dragon lines" by Grahame Gardner
published by Penwith Press, 2012.
ISBN: 978-0-95333 16-5-9 at £9.95.
Available from Grahame himself
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: "Dowsing Magic" by Grahame Gardner

Post by Grahame »

Wow - great review Simon -thanks! I'm going to steal that for my website if that's OK?
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

You're welcome! And yes...of course. :P
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

I want a signed copy! :P
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Helen-Healing wrote:I want a signed copy! :P
If you buy it from my website, I'll happily sign a copy for you Helen! 8)
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

congrats Grahame,

sounds like a great book, again i will have to add it to my list (don't worry its near the top) ;-)

Best

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Dowsing Magic - Book 1 is now available in a shiny new revised and expanded edition! Click here to get it directly from me. Price £11.95.

Also available on Amazon Kindle.
You can get the paperback on Amazon too, but it's me who has to go and post it anyway so you might as well buy it direct from me! :lol:
Grahame