Birds Bathtime.

UFOs, aliens, inter-dimensional beings and general weirdness.... abandon hope, all who enter here. Mike is in charge.
mike
Professional
Professional

Re: Birds Bathtime.

Post by mike »

This morning at about 10 a skein of Canada Geese came past my home and one was calling very strange, I looked out of the window and the end bird of the skein almost hit the top of the electric pylons wires as it passed over, I looked as it veered to the side just in time.The main skein was already dropping down towards the lakes and the single bird was catching back up, I think it must have not been looking where it was flying and almost hit those very high cables at 300 feet up as the group passed over them, it was a close call for sure.
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

The baby Wood Pigeon in our tree flew out of it this afternoon,it was with its mum and dad on our drive.The baby was begging milk from its mums beak,thats how mother pigeons feed its chicks,looks like they are kissing each other.So nice to see this,its the cycle of life,and leaves a warm feeling inside.
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I have been now a few times to Slough Park Coventry but haven't seen the Crow with the deformed frozen leg,I hope it managed to live during the corvid lockdown as nobody was feeding the local birds in the park then.I hate to think it starved during this time,it was very relient on people leaving food out,have to keeping watching for it when I visit again....Little sightings of the local Crow family near me,I hear Crows early every morning, but no sighting during the day.
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Last two nights about 8 Crows have passed my home flying north to South at 18.30 hours going to roost,which I think are my family of Crows and another family which nested just to the south of us.During the time both the groups of Crows had young birds just flying they mixed at times during the day.I think now they are more adult they have joined together to form one larger group.They might be related perhaps,and with the male father not here now perhaps the mother Crow has joined forces for added protection.
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Saw a Buzzard last night late hunting across the field to the west of me,and just an hour ago a single Buzzard flew just 40 feet over the houses in our road....upsetting story of Muntjak deer being put down after breaking legs, both were young deer, but its something which happens now and then.
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Last two nights about tea time I have heard Crows calling just the single female call, and both today and yesterday 3 Crows were sitting on the pylon close to me, and Im sure its the mother Crow and her two babies from this Summer.I felt a warmth when I saw them both times, its like they were saying we are fine and will visit when we can, and its only 250 yards from the tree where the chicks were born.They dont come really close anymore near my house, but its nice to know they are well and active in the fields either side of me.An hour before I saw a Magpie swoop on a Turtle Dove and try to kill it, a big bunch of feathers came out of the smaller bird but it got away, they are evil Magpies......Meant to say but forgot yesterday I saw the 3 Crows up the pylon close to me at home, a Buzzard passed near them and the mother Crow mobbed it as it passed.She was no match for the Buzzard but she still mobbed it till it left the area, Im sure it was the mother Crow from over the road this Summer.
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Heard the Crows calling just after daybreak, both single and 3 calls of a male bird, I just hope its the family that nested over the road from me, I havent seen them together for a while now, or that Crow at the Slough Park Coventry with the deformed leg....Some time ago when I was driving home down the lane I had to swerve to avoid a bird, well a big Hawk, it was something I have never seen before as it was so big.I checked all my bird books but nothing, then when I saw the British Rail advert on tv I saw that same Hawk again, and I found its name, a Harris Hawk, found in the US.It had to be from a Hawk Centre or something and got away, Im sure it will catch and kill its dinner okay, or I hope so, never seen it since along the fields near me and I do look out.
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Seen two Magpies trying to take over the old Crows nest across the road from me this week, they are hoping the family does not contest the old nest I think.A single Crow keeps mobbing them, which might be the male Crow from two years ago keeping them away, but the mother Crow and this years two birds dont seem to come here now, I hope they remain safe where ever they are.And I have seen sme grey Wagtails in our road this week, they come back in town each Winter to keep warm and look for food, so they are coming back early really.....This Summer I never saw any amount of Swallows at all, really quiet with only two groups of Swallows passing over my home, when before I would see many groups all day long all Summer long ??
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I have spent a few trips sitting in the Slough car park now and not seen the Crow with the frozen deformed leg ankle and toes, I just hope its alive and well.With the lock down I wonder if any of the wild birds in the park area got any food during the March lockdown and after, I cannot imagine anyone going out during those bad times. Today while the seagulls were eating my chips I did hear a Crow call out near me, but saw nothing, so its possible my Crow came to see what the gulls had found, I dont know, but have my fingers crossed it was him bless him.
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Letting the dogs out in the garden this afternoon I heard a Crow call just over the fields, and Im sure it was the family of 3 Crows that had the nest over the road, and it really warmed my heart to see them all together. I have seen Crows near the nesting tree all last week, but was not sure it was the same family, now Im sure they are about, and its SO ice to know they are well.
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

The single male Crow has been close to the nesting tree over the road from me, and I believe this Crow to be the one born here 2 years ago, but hand on heart Im not fully sure.I think its the Crow as its already mobbing the Magpies which hang around the nest area, he keeps them away like ts his nest and not theirs. Dont know if this male bird will attract a female Crow to its side, have to wait and see, what happens to the old female Crow I dont know, they mate for life so with her mate gone now she might just stand aside.
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Two Crows round the nesting tree again today for a while, I placed bread in the road and one of the Crows came down to feed, I have no idea if one was the mother Crow from the summer, or perhaps the children.They drove the Magpies off again I saw so perhaps they might use the family nesting tree again ??
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Two Crows within feet of the nest again today, and the one male bird was calling out its song to any passing Crows its his nest I believe. Dont know if this is the male Crow from two years ago which helped his mum last Summer or what, I dont believe it could be the mother Crow which lost her mate, still NO news of that bird from the Nuneaton animal and bird rescue centre ?
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I was over the Slough Park again today for a while, and I never saw the Crow with the deformed frozen foot, so I dont think during the corvid lockdown it managed to survive, its been months since I last saw it. This Crow would have had to rely on people leaving food in the Park for the birds and animals, so I imagine during the first lockdown with nobody about it would have run down pretty fast, I only hope it never suffered at all, that does not bear thinking about. I will keep watching for this wonderful bird, but I fear the worse now, its been well over 8 months since I last saw it.
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

I went to the Slough Park yesterday and 3 Crows flew over me calling, but I never got a good look to see if it was my Crow with the frozen leg, I just have my fingers crossed some good soul is feeding the wild birds near there and my Crow is still alive and well.