Smart meters

Topics relating to the hazards of EMFs, Wi-Fi, phone masts, dirty electricity, smart meters, 5G etc.
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Smart meters

Post by Lynnie »

Would anyone know if putting a SM into dumb mode stops it emitting radiation? And also if putting a shield or cage over one would stop it from emitting radiation?

Thanks
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Smart meters

Post by Grahame »

Hi Lynnie,

It might depend on the model of meter, but I don't think that putting it into 'dumb mode' would stop it trying to transmit.

Shielding the meter is possible, but you would need to cover it completely, including the back of it that's against the wall, to eliminate all radiation. Then of course, the utility company might wonder why they are not receiving any signals from it!

I've had good success with this Wi-Fi Router Shield, which would certainly be worth a try.

There is similar information in this thread.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Thank you, Grahame. I've not got one at the moment, I am just doing a bit of research in case the day comes. That product you recommended looks good.
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Grahame wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:21 am

I've had good success with this Wi-Fi Router Shield, which would certainly be worth a try.
Would this shield stop a reading being sent to the energy company? Are there any covers, such as these materials I've seen, that lower or stop EMF but allow the reading to be picked up the the energy company?
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Lynnie wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:29 pm Would this shield stop a reading being sent to the energy company? Are there any covers, such as these materials I've seen, that lower or stop EMF but allow the reading to be picked up the the energy company?
In short, no. If you're completely blocking the emissions from the meter, then it's not going to be able to communicate with the network to send your readings. Think of it like a mobile phone that's not getting a strong enough signal.

Mesh-type covers might still allow enough signal to escape whilst still reducing the levels of emfs to a safer level. Mobile phones can operate on much lower levels than we are currently exposed to from masts, and the same applies to smart meters.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Thanks Graham, so I guess it's going to be down to experimenting with some mesh to see if I can reduce EMF but not shut it off completely from sending a signal.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

If you do manage to completely block the emissions, the utility company will probably either; a) send an engineer round to figure out what's going on and/or replace the (apparently faulty) meter; b) start charging you outrageously overpriced estimated rates; or c) ask you to submit manual readings.

Option c) is obviously the most desirable outcome, short of replacing the meter with a non-smart one - which they might do with option a)! :)
Grahame