The Revealer - vintage dowsing kit

Discuss your favourite dowsing tools and techniques here.
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Glad to hear you managed to get some instructions.
Be sure to keep us updated with your progress in making some - there is quite a bit of interest in this project within the BSD membership! :)

I hope your wife's wrist is OK.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
kazzer

Post by kazzer »

The project is slowly progressing.
I'm trying to finish up a bit of a tribute to my dad, who passed away about 4 years ago.
He was in submarines in WWII Chief Petty Officer. HMS Sibyl.

I'm building a working model of the boat, and need to finish it before I get down to these Revealers

see http://www.moonrakers.com/submarines/sibyl

I'm in Virginia Beach Va today, talking to the best sub model maker in the world, and then off to Florida for a few days sun.
see. http://www.moonrakers.com/vanderbilt

THEN it's down to Revealer business. Should have something up and running by Xmas.

Glad to see there is some interest. Mrs Veale would be delighted!
Safebreaker

Price of the Revealer

Post by Safebreaker »

Hi, Everybody.

Some posts have indicated the cost of the Revealer when purchased new. As the prices range from £74/10/- in old money to about two thousand pounds, could I ask if someone could come up with a definite figure. If the £74/10/- was correct when I was earning £5 per week, then at todays earnings figures, it should be selling at £3,725!!
Ouch!

Your comments please. Regards to all,

Safebreaker
Paul Collett

The Revealer - vintage dowsing kit

Post by Paul Collett »

I have a quotation from J C Oliver (Leeds) Limited , signed by their director - T A L Little . He quoted a price of £72 10s 0d.Post and packing extra at cost.
The quotation is not dated but the yellowing paper , the style and the telephone number put it not later than the sixties. Correspondance with the person from whom I bought it , via e-bay , confirmed a price of that order.

All the best to all
Paul Collett
Safebreaker

Revealer cost

Post by Safebreaker »

Paul,

Sorry to be late responding to you but I have been out of the country for the last week. Thank you for the information - I was hoping more people would come up with their figures for comparison. If some new Revealers are in the pipe-line, I wondered if they had been costed out and a price fixed.

Thanks anyway,

Safebreaker
kazzer

Revealer costs

Post by kazzer »

Our project has been on hold for a while as we had a few things crop up.

I used to sell these instruments in the USA for about $400, but that was over 10 years ago.

I'd like to keep it around that number, we'll see in a few weeks.
Safebreaker

The Revealer

Post by Safebreaker »

Hi Kazzer,

Many thanks for the reply. At the moment $400 equates very roughly to £200 sterling. I hope you can come somewhere near that. I look forward to further developments.

Best wishes,

Safebreaker
kazzer

Post by kazzer »

At long last, we've been able to start working on producing Revealers.

We've changed a few things, mainly because the technology available to the Veales was limited and now we can make some internal parts much more easily. The fact that I own a plating company makes a huge difference too.

I suspect we'll have our prototype ready in the next 2-3 weeks, and if all goes well, we MIGHT be able to have a few Revealers for sale.

One of the main problems with the original Revealer was the internal parts would corrode over time. We've fixed that by using an Electroless plating technique.

Check back in a few weeks for an update.

Thanks for your interest.
Paul Collett

Re: The Revealer - vintage dowsing kit

Post by Paul Collett »

If anyone is interested, there is a Revealer for sale on Ebay at the moment. It closes on September 7th, but seems a bit expensive with an ititial bid of 100 GBP.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
Paul Collett
rusty

Post by rusty »

I have managed to obtain an orignal Revealer including the instructions, but the only part missing is the badge - Please can anyone help !|!|! It would be wonderful to have a badge to wear before I try this dowsing equipment out !
Paul Collett

Post by Paul Collett »

You only need the badge to stop you detecting anything above you, try it on underground pipes and the lack of badge won't matter ( according to the instructions). Anyway I hope you are able to obtain one .
Paul Collett
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

I just typed "vale revealer" into Google and got zero results !!

(poor excuse to revive an old thread, but worth it, I think..)

Ian
zenith

Post by zenith »

Ian Pegler wrote:I just typed "vale revealer" into Google and got zero results !!

(poor excuse to revive an old thread, but worth it, I think..)

Ian
Hi Ian, Yes, interesting thread.

The inventor Lawrence Veale called it the ReVEALEr :P Plenty of Google hits. Did anyone here get to use one? I've just heard of it because of looking at Herbert Weaver's book, "Divining the primary sense".

Z
goddammit

Post by goddammit »

Hi all,

Excuse me for bumping an old thread - but the reason I registered is because upon clearing my Dad's garage I happened upon a boxed revealer (see picture below), it appears to have all of its' parts (even the badge), and original instructions. It's been quite fascinating reading through this thread and the links to try to learn more about them - I'm looking forward to taking it out for a bit of a road-test when I get the chance, work is quite busy at the moment.

Does anyone have any further insight into them - are they scarce these days? Do they still get used regularly? This one was rescued from an estates department in the NHS in England, so was clearly being utilised probably for locating pipes and suchlike when work was being carried out on Health Service buildings etc.

Any further information would be muchly appreciated! Thanks!

Alan

Image Link Here
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Great picture Alan - that's the most complete Revealer I've seen. They are pretty scarce these days - we don't even have a complete kit in the BSD archives as far as I'm aware.
also I suspect that, by virtue of the fact that you have the original instructions, that you are now our resident forum expert on the beast! :lol:
It would be good to have a scan of the instructions if they're not too extensive.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.