The Revealer - vintage dowsing kit

Discuss your favourite dowsing tools and techniques here.
goddammit

Re: The Revealer - vintage dowsing kit

Post by goddammit »

No, there's about four sides of A5ish paper of instructions. I don't have a scanner handy but when I get the chance I'll type up the instructions, such as they are :)

There is something very appealing about it - I'm not sure what it is!
goddammit

Post by goddammit »

Here is a bit more info/observation and - crucially - a link to a PDF file I just made of the instructions.. hope it proves of interest/usefulness!

Having read the instructions through it's intriguing to think that not only is it claimed the revealer will help you locate things, but by utilising the mineral bracket, or small tubes of water (or 'void') you can supposedly determine the composition of what you've located - even vegetable matter!

Fascinating. Going to have to test this out!

Anyway... hopefully useful/interesting link: http://goddammit.co.uk/2012/02/21/revealerations/
Gerrr

Post by Gerrr »

I was talking to my retired neighbour, he had one of these on a 6 week trial many years ago. He was an electrical engineer and picked it up at an electrical trade show. It worked fine for him without any prior dowsing training.
The most intriguing thing was the the badge. It was meant for using the device under bridges and overhead lines, to ignore the effects of these signals. If worn below the hands, it would stop any detection from below. I would like to know what material is was made from?
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

There's a nice (and complete) Revealer kit going on eBay at the moment if anyone's interested..?
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
SparkTalker
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SparkTalker »

Hi all.

I've been reading and re-reading this thread for a few days now, and I must admit that I find the information both interesting yet elusive!

I visited Mike Caswell's website about the Revealer (mentioned early on in this thread), but only found a repeat of the information given on this site in his original post.

Mike said that "We had the plans, and Lawrence Veale's secrets...", but what exactly are the 'secrets'? In the book "Divining, The Primary Sense", Herbert Weaver comments that it took Veale three months to find the correct length for the "...aerial spine which would resonate only with salt-glaze sewer pipe material". A little further on in the book Weaver says, "The aerial spines are arranged in three tiers and mounted within the protection of the handles".

So are these 'aerial spines' the secret?

Another question I have about this device is the patent that has been mentioned in connection with it. Apparently early models had a patent pending number stamped upon them, and later ones had an actual patent number, which one would assume means that a patent was granted. Yet despite many days searching various online patent sources I have been unable to loacate a single reference for L. J. Veale or any dowsing device remotely similar to the Revealer.

The reason for trying to locate a copy of the patent is so that hopefully it would be possible to understand his sytem better, and more importantly it would allow the production of a replica of one of these units and so trial the device. Crucially one would assume that details of the 'aerial spines' would have been included in the patent, as not to do so would mean that the heart of his device would not be protected by law. Also one would assume that accurate dimentions for the lengths and arrangements of these spines would be included else again, someone could take out a patent with more detail and in effect perhaps have blocked Veale from producing his own device!

So, does anyone have details of the granted patent (the patent number itself or maybe link/s as to where details of it may be found), or even a set of plans!

My thinking is that if the device is as efficient a dowsing aid as it is made out to be, and if Mr Veales wife is (to quote Mike's website) "...particularly pleased that her husband's lifetime work would be continued...", then surely it is in the interests of all dowsers that his work should not be lost.
"Responses are limited, you must ask the right questions."
SparkTalker
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SparkTalker »

After one last in-depth search of the web (lasting several hours), I finally asked Google the correct question.

The patent information for the Revealer is as follows:-

Title Appliances for detecting the presence of water, metals and other materials
Application Number GB19570002489 19570123
Publication Number 879568 (A)
Application Date January 23, 1957
Publication Date October 11, 1961
Assignee Lawrence John Veale

Interestingly, none of the numbers match the "Patent Pending 13859" number stamped on the early Revealers...

If you would like to download a copy of the patent you can do so from here:- http://patent.ipexl.com/GB/879568-a.html#citation

When you click on the download PDF link you have to enter a captcha number (to prove you're human!), and then click submit. The link appears allowing you to either view or download the document.

Hope this may be of interest to some of you...
SparkTalker
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SparkTalker »

Grahame Gardner wrote:There's a nice (and complete) Revealer kit going on eBay at the moment if anyone's interested..?
There's another Revealer on eBay at the moment. There's about three and a half days left on the auction.

It seems pretty well comlete (even the key is there for the case). The items that are not included are the Revealer cross badge (these always seem to be missing), and two tiny glass tubes with cork stoppers (for 'whitness' materials?).

If you like angle rods then these are the daddies :lol:

Why am I telling you all this? Because I own one set already, and have another set 'in the post', so if I buy a third set I might just end up on a missing persons poster :lol:

Regards...

p.s. I see the seller has found my previous post detailing the patent info... :roll:
DarkChestofWonders
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DarkChestofWonders »

Would anyone have any photos of the test tubes or could say what size they are please.

Alan
Sometimes things have to be believed to be seen
SparkTalker
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SparkTalker »

DarkChestofWonders wrote:Would anyone have any photos of the test tubes or could say what size they are please.

Alan
Yes, I have two sets of the tubes.

I'll have to grab my camera and also measure the tubes for you.

I don't think it's possible to upload images to this site, they have to be hosted elsewhere, but I have some web storage going to waste at the moment so I'll deposite them there...
SparkTalker
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SparkTalker »

OK, here's a quick photo I took of the witness tubes >>> http://www.dowsing.co.uk/tubes.jpg

The tubes are 6.3mm in diameter, and 50mm in length, with flat bottoms, and have a wall thickness of 0.6mm.

The stoppers are tappered, and made from cork. They are 10mm tall, and tapper from 6.4mm down to 5mm.

All measurements were taken using a digital vernier.

One of the Revealers I own has tubes in their original packaging, which consists of some form of very thin tissue paper, wrapped around the tubes as a pair.

The tubes are both fitted with stoppers, but there is also a spare set of stoppers provided too (maybe in case the original become contaminated or lost perhaps).

Here's a second photo of the unused tubes and spare stoppers >>> http://www.dowsing.co.uk/tubes_2.jpg

Hope that helps!
DarkChestofWonders
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks Mark, the pictures help a lot, they are not as big as I imagined.

I was thinking more along the old school chemistry lesson type, about 4 inches long and about 1/2 inch wide.

I'll have to see if I can track a couple down (new ones) when I get a bit of spare time.

I have recently also got a copy of the book but not read it yet, so much else to do!

Alan
SparkTalker
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SparkTalker »

DarkChestofWonders wrote:Thanks Mark, the pictures help a lot, they are not as big as I imagined.

I was thinking more along the old school chemistry lesson type, about 4 inches long and about 1/2 inch wide.

I'll have to see if I can track a couple down (new ones) when I get a bit of spare time.

I have recently also got a copy of the book but not read it yet, so much else to do!

Alan
Hi Alan.

Yeah, the tubes are very tiny! If you look around eBay try searching for "sample tube" or "sample tubes". The 1ml ones are roughly similar in size. I found the following for sale from India, but there are plenty of others in the UK etc.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-ml-Clear-Gl ... oVn-RzFTJg

They are slightly shorter than the originals, but similar in form. There are many others to choose from on there anyhow...

You say you have a copy of the book. Do you mean the instruction manual, or are you refering to the book "Divining the primary sense"?

If it is the second of the two then you are not really missing much (in my opinion). All of the information directly connected to the discussion of the Revealer, and Lawrence Veale, are contained within the first chapter. The rest of the book is devoted to protective symbols and sacred geometry. It took quite a while to locate a copy, and no small sum of money too, and to say that I was disappointed in the book is the understatement of the year!

The information that is supplied only covers the basic Revealer instrument, or should I say it treats the Revealer as though it were a simple set of angle rods. No mention of all of the number tabs on the rods, no mention of the witness/sample hand guard. No mention of the elaborate system of 'pins' within the handles. In fact you come away wondering if the author had ever even seen a Revealer dowsing instrument set in the flesh at all.

I'm still in the process of restoring my Revealer sets. The cases are all clean and tidy, and all of the chromework on the rods/handles polished up a treat! The final bit I need to do with mine is replaced the elastic that supports the witness samples on the one Revealer (it has all sagged), and I plan to renew the elasatic on the second one just as a matter of course. I found some suitable elastic on sale at Hobbycraft (in the UK). The ends of the elastic are secured with pinch on fishing weights (size No1), and after a trip to a sports store today I have a couple of tubs of those now.

When I strip the sample holders down I plan to clean up/polish the samples, as some of them have tarnished with age. Also, I have to remove the asbestos samples (both of my Revealers have them), and carefully store them. I plan to replace the asbestos samples with some other material (as yet undecided), so that there are no gaps on the witness support frame.

Regards,
DarkChestofWonders
Beginner
Beginner

Hi Mark,
Sorry for not replying earlier, must have missed this post at some point.

Thanks for the test tube link too.

I have the book "Divining the primary sense", not read it yet, still reading something else! I think there were about 12 copies on one site I went on, symbols and sacred geometry are ok with me.

There are black & white photocopies (4) of an advertising leaflet with a mole on it, I think originally this is one piece of A4 printed both sides and folded, effectively A5 and I think this was originally in an olive green colour, as I've seen on the net somewhere.

The General Operating Instructions (again a photocopy, do you have this?) is the same as the BSD Office has. It is one piece of A4 printed both sides and folded, again A5. I don't think there is a manual as such unless somebody else knows different.

On this there is a "Method for calculating diameter of pipes" on there which mentions the figures on the rods ;
"Locate the pipe as shown in fig.3 and measure back 2 feet from the position of the centre of the feet. Step backwards and, moving slowly towards the new position, note the figures on the indicator rods-where they intersect will denote the outside diameter of the pipe in inches."
I've not tried this in the field yet!

Another heading mentions the Mineral bracket.

The elastic on my "Revealer" is just knotted each end, do you know if the originals are fixed like yours?

Alan
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

BSD members will no doubt have noticed an appeal from Charlie Kennedy in the latest Dowsing Today (March 2019), seeking any information about a complete Revealer kit owned by David Strang.

Naturally, I immediately contacted Charlie to point her in the direction of this thread. Charlie wrote back to say that several dowsers had been in touch with information, but not one of them had mentioned this forum! How quickly they forget.... :roll:

I had actually submitted a short article about the rebirth of the forum for publication, but it didn't appear in the last issue. I feel a wee reminder email coming on. :D
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
DarkChestofWonders
Beginner
Beginner

Just to clarify matters, a small part of my email on 13-05-19 to David and Charlie below.
Not sure if the link will still work as I'm doing this on my phone.

"They were invented by Lawrence Veale, hence 'The Re-Veale-r' and there is a bit of information on the British Dowsing forum link here,

search.php?keywords=revealer&sid=c31583 ... 590ab6149f

There isn't much else to find online other than what's in the forum or by doing your own google search......"

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Alan