Antique Pendulum

Discuss your favourite dowsing tools and techniques here.
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Re: Antique Pendulum

Post by arthur hamlin »

Hi Lizard,
Here is another option to consider.
It is possible the long truncheon type tool may have been used as a depth gauge when lowering into a well for instance to obtain info as to the depth of water there.
With the other tool you did not actually say whether those little metal screw on pieces were made of gold or silver. Your picture does not allure to that. Are either of them magnetic for instance?.
It is also possible that the stub round end they have would match the head of a large nail when pushed into the ground before say a brick pier was built.
By constantly observing that these were lined up the wall constructed would be vertical.
The rubber cord if not cracked or brittle may be a modern addition to hold the two items together as they were most likely used for the same job.
Arthur
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Afternoon Arthur,
Your suggestions are possible but I just don't feel comfortable with them being correct at the moment.
That stick/wand is bothersome for one thing, since it wouldn't be needed if used as a plumb bob, yet it was attached as shown when found. So I will have to assume the last time it was used it was with the stick/wand and a short piece of elastic.

To answer your questions, the short rods are solid except for a threaded hole on one end and appear to be made of the same metal but not gold or silver. I'm away from home at the moment so I will get you more accurate answers around Sunday when I return. The elastic is frail and showing its age but will still support the weight of the pendulum. I don't think it would take much added tension to break it though.

Also I forgot to mention that the body of the pendulum is filled with something. If you tilt it from top to bottom you can feel, not hear, something inside shift a very short distance. It reminds me of small shot shifting maybe.

From the notes taken while interviewing the only eyewitness I have:
He first remembers someone using a witch very similar to the one under discussion around 1925 while he was still on the farm. To use it you would attach one of three rods on the end depending on if you were looking for gold, silver, water or you could sex chicks if no rods were attached. With the pendulum attached to a short stick and piece of twine you would hold the end of the stick in both hands with the elbows held close to your sides. If the object of the search was near, the pendulum would swing back and forth with one half of the swing being longer than the other. You would follow the direction of the longer swing and let it "pull" you along. Once over the target the pendulum would hang straight down and circle. To sex chicks you would hold the pendulum over each chick without a rod attached. For a rooster it would circle one way and for a hen it would circle in the opposite.

Obviously I can't substantiate the above statements but it's the best argument I have at the moment. LOL

I have found some pictures of old pendulums on sticks though. Unfortunately none are similar to this one. I will try to attach them to this post. If it doesn't work I will add them to the next one.

have a great day
Rick
*** The Village Idiot ***
Bonnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Bonnie »

Rick, I don't have anything to add in the way of information, just wanted to say that I am finding your pendulum and the words of your eyewitness increasingly fascinating! I look forward to seeing pics of other old pendulums, too. I love antiques, and especially anything to do with dowsing.
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Hi Bonnie,

Yes, it is very difficult to find anything on the antique stuff. My eyewitness was 90 something years old at the time. These folks are getting fewer and fewer I'm afraid.

The one picture I found is a pendulum attached to a stick (an L-rod actually I think) but it isn't any where near the same as this one.

Bonnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Bonnie »

What an interesting set! I found several examples of antique devices here, but nothing that looks like yours.
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Yes I know. The only things I'm finding are antique plumb bobs and clock pendulums. Everything on dowsing is modern.

Have a question though. This spring I plan to try it out on locating some bottle dumps and would like to practice with it now.
1. Should I clear this thing before I try to bond with it? Just in case it's harboring some bad JuJu or something. Also will this clear any old programing that may still be active in it?
2. If so, how would you suggest I go about it?

Since it's too big for map work I think I'll follow the directions my eyewitness gave and see what happens. Still don't know what I'm doing but I think I now have the basics down anyway.
Rick
Bonnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Bonnie »

I don't personally do clearing/cleansing rituals with my dowsing tools, beyond setting my intention to use them in accordance with my highest spiritual purpose and principles. But this is such a individual matter that I suggest you be led first and foremost by your intuition; if you have a sense that the pendulum needs to be cleared before you make it well and truly your own by dowsing with it, then that will be the right thing for you to do. Some of the members here do use cleansing procedures, and they will be able to suggest some methods. One thing I will venture to say, is that through the intensity of your search for the pendulum's origins, and your discussions with the 90-year-old eyewitness, I believe you have already forged a link with your pendulum that has made it your partner - and any clearing methods you use (if you decide to proceed in that way) will be smoothly accomplished. Let us know how the dowsing goes!
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Bonnie wrote:One thing I will venture to say, is that through the intensity of your search for the pendulum's origins, and your discussions with the 90-year-old eyewitness, I believe you have already forged a link with your pendulum that has made it your partner - and any clearing methods you use (if you decide to proceed in that way) will be smoothly accomplished.
Huuum, I never thought about it in those terms. Guess I still have some thinking to do on this.
Thanks
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Post by arthur hamlin »

Another option if you felt anxious about using it would be to use another pendulum made yourself of good cotton or light string with say a metal nut on the end.
You could use this one to ask about the antique one you are showing us, as you feel there might be remnants of energy still there from the previous owner which could be either beneficial for you or possibly needing to be cleansed.
Arthur.
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Yes, I have started working on/with a nut on a thread and it is much easier than trying to use the bulky antique one. Of course most of my metal detecting friends have decided that I'm the nut on my last string. LOL If this device involved a battery they would probably be more interested in it.

Depending on my success, I will probably use the smaller pendulum exclusively. I would still like to give the antique one a try in the field though. Its been idle for so many years it deserves a chance to strut it's stuff.

Any suggestions are welcomed and I will report on things for those who might be interested.
Rick
Bonnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Bonnie »

Glad you're having success with the nut on a thread! Once you gain confidence with that, you'll probably be able to switch back and forth between the two if you feel like it, or maybe you'll discover that one is best for some applications, and the other for something else. That's part of the intrigue and enjoyment of dowsing - it offers surprises and is a constant teacher.
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

LOL
"Success" may be a bit too optimistic but we shall see.
Rick
Bonnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Bonnie »

LOL, maybe that sort of "attainment-oriented" wording was missplaced. But I really am glad that you're feeling comfortable with the nut-and-string pendulum, and hope that your adventures with dowsing will be interesting and enlightening. (Imagine thumbs-up smiley here.)
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

I am finding that dowsing is much more involved than just the finding of water and lost items that I had thought. Once I get my little pendulum to behave properly I will look into the rest of it.

I will have many more questions I'm sure.
Rick
Lizard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Lizard »

Still practicing and learning. I seem to be having better luck with the antique pendulum though. I can keep it turning for long periods of time and do pretty good with the back and forth motion. I am getting better at making it swing in the direction I want to some extent but not sure, yet, if it's my doing or just randomness.
Back to practice.