Weight of Bob Length of String?

Discuss your favourite dowsing tools and techniques here.
Sian

Weight of Bob Length of String?

Post by Sian »

Hello

I am quite new to dowsing and I am interested to know if there is an ideal wieght for a pendulum and a ideal length of chain or string. Can you have one pendulum to do everything or do you have to change weights and lengths according to what you are searching for?I have read a number of different books but there seems to be no definative answer.

Also I have heard of a number of dowsers using ordinary or old keys to dowse with Is there any specific reason for this?

Kind regards

Sian
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Weight of Bob Length of String?

Post by simonwheeler »

Hi Sian and welcome.
There is an ideal weight for your pendulum and also an ideal length for the string/cord/chain.
The ideal for both is whatever you are comfortable with.

Similarly with regard to the material of the pendulum- be it an old nut or bolt, keys, a wooden item, a crystal....home-made or bought-
As long as it moves when you are asking questions of it, it will do! And no, you don't have to change depending on what you are looking for- though you could if that's what you wanted to do!

Keys are sometimes used as a "whoops I don't have my pendulum with me so I'll use whatever is to hand" substitute.
Others may use a pendant they are wearing.

You can also use deviceless dowsing (do a search on this forum- plenty to look at!).

My view is that it can be too easy to get anxious about the tools- but they are only tools....so choose whatever makes you happy!!
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Weight of Bob Length of String?

Post by Grahame »

Simon's pretty much said it all, Sian. I would add that some dowsing books talk about having different lengths of string for finding different substances, which may be what you're referring to. This harks back to a system devised by T C Lethbridge known as the long pendulum.
Lethbridge favoured this system, but it soon becomes extremely burdensome as you have to keep tables of different 'rates' for everything that you dowse. You should be able to dowse with anything you have to hand at the time.
Last edited by Grahame on Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed broken links
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.