Which pendulum - wooden, crystal, metal?

Discuss your favourite dowsing tools and techniques here.
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Which pendulum - wooden, crystal, metal?

Post by Lynnie »

Hi All

During an appointment with a dowser who is helping with a couple of minor health problems, I noticed she was using a brass pendulum. I've only ever used crystal pendulums. I asked her why she favoured a brass pendulum over using crystal. She said it was because she liked to "be in control." I found this quite interesting. I don't personally feel not in control using my crystal pendulum but then as I've only used crystal ones, I can't compare. I'm thinking of getting a brass pendulum to see if there's any difference. In the meantime, has anyone used both crystal and brass pendulums and could comment on their preference, experiences?

Best wishes to all.

Lynnie
Last edited by Grahame on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed thread title
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Crystal v. metal pendulum

Post by simonwheeler »

I use wooden pendulum, metal pendulum, crystal pendulum...depending upon how the mood takes me. No preference per se.
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

I use a brass ball (from the BSD shop) because it's robust & weighty enough without being
too bulky and doesn't have a point at the bottom designed to make a hole in your pocket.

Ian
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Post by Lynnie »

Hello Simon and Ian,

Thank you for your replies. Ian, could I ask whether you have used crystal pendulums and what your experience is compared to the brass one you use currently. Perhaps essentially, there is no difference I'm just curious as to what draws some people to crystal pendulums and others to brass, wood etc.

Lynnie
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Some people like various crystal pendulums because they feel they can 'program' them for specific uses. Others (like most BSD folk) will use whatever they have to hand. If you want to ascribe a particular use to a specific pendulum that's fine if it works for you, but this is 'magical thinking' and it can limit your dowsing if you don't have that particular pendulum to hand when you need it.
I'll use any pendulum that I have to hand, but prefer to use metal or wooden ones - mainly because they are less prone to breakage than crystal ones. They are often cheaper too. I've lost too many pendulums over the years to get sentimentally attached to any of them, but my current one that I usually have in my pocket is the 'BSD bobber' one.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

I don't see much difference between the materials, except the density. I find that people
don't like too much bulk. Wooden pendulums tend to be lighter unless they compensate
by being bigger than the equivalent brass or crystal.

I have my own lathe and have made my own wooden pendulums, from mahogany. These
tend to be a bit bigger than people are used to. I have an "outdoor pendulum" which is only
slightly smaller than a tennis ball.

I don't know why people use pendulums with points. They're supposed to be for map dowsing,
but you can never see the pointy end from above. So what's the point (of the point)?

A pebble beach is one of the worst places to lose a pendulum - more easily done if the pendulum
top has a screw thread (as most of the brass ones do).

Ian.
Lynnie
Novice
Novice

Re: Which pendulum - wooden, crystal, metal?

Post by Lynnie »

I've re-discovered this post I made in 2014. Only taken me 6 years, but I've recently bought a brass pendulum (from BSD). I am surprised in the difference in Feel from crystal pendulums, which I've always used. The brass pendulum feels, obviously, heavier than crystal but being able to compare the two, the crystal pendulums feel "alive" whereas the brass doesn't. I very much like it, it feels as though it is less prone to interference. Also, my dowsing tells me that the brass pendulum would be better to use than crystal, when dealing with geopathic stress. All very interesting stuff.