Russian Research Explains the Paranormal

Other news items of interest (aka Ian's Corner).
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Re: Russian Research Explains the Paranormal

Post by Satyr »

Geoff, No, I do not necessarily think there is one "Creator" (I just wrote it that way for ease of understanding and writing), but if there is one or if there are 10, does it really make a difference, he/she/it/they would surely not have "created" so called Junk DNA, what would be the point.

Skepticallyspiritual, as I am pagan, I can assure you that I am definately not "an advocate of creationism or intelligent design", however what I am trying to get accross is the fact that however we came about, I feel sure that we would not have "come about" with a vast quantity of "junk DNA". It just doesn't seem logical.

Its just that I am reading a very interesting book at the moment which mentions the theory that possibly, many eons ago, our DNA might have been "tweaked" by a superior species to make us more........malable shall we say and that our so called "Junk DNA" is possibly not Junk after all, but usefull DNA that has been switched off in some way.

I know it may sound far fetched to some, but having read a lot of books by authors like Colin Wilson and Graham Hancock, I know there are way too many questions relating to our early history that it seems cannot be answered satisfactorily.
Practice random acts of kindness
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

Satyr, I don't think the 'gods' created junk DNA either. Regarding the tweaked DNA, I have read reports and have dowsed that the Atlanteans did quite a bit of DNA tweaking using humans and some animals but that is a bit beyond this theme.

Geoff
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
scepticallyspiritual

Post by scepticallyspiritual »

Geoff Stuttaford wrote: Soul-retained DNA ....Yes. it is what I have labelled as 'soul DNA' - but I understand that it's only DNA that we can make use of in present and future incarnations (if we care to do so) for the benefit of others. It is, I have dowsed, actual DNA, but it does not consist of the molecules that programme our physical and chemical makeup, that comes from our parents and obviously differs in each of our incarnations, (that particular DNA is the junk DNA) rather it's that DNA which enables us to dowse, to be clairvoyant, to communicate with other souls in the astral plane and those who have passed on, to be telepathic, rescue spirits - whatever metaphysical abilities you have acquired over hundreds of lifetimes. That 'soul DNA' is measurable only by the success of your metaphysical activities.
Let me see if I understand you correctly.

This soul DNA exists in the material world as part of the DNA double-helix that exists inside every cell. But it is the "junk-DNA" that scientists haven't yet found out what it does, thus it currently appears to be part of the DNA molecular structure that doesn't actually do anything to grow, regulate or control the body. Is that right? If not, I think one or both of us has gotten the wrong end of the stick about what DNA actually is. (a quick look at the wikipedia entry for "junk DNA" says: "junk DNA is a provisional label for the portions of the DNA sequence of a chromosome or a genome for which no function has been identified...... About 95% of the human genome has been designated as "junk",....")

My problem is that I thought DNA replication (as part of sexual and asexual cell division) was relatively well understood, and that it has been observed that an individual's DNA comes completely from their parents (not including any subsequent mutations that occur). This is measurable by studying the gene sequences of parents and offspring and comparing them. If the junk DNA is metaphysically inherited, that means that 95% of our DNA doesn't come from our parents - this would be evident in the gene sequences and things like genetic paternity tests would be impossible. A figure that I remember from an evolutionary biology course is that our DNA is 44% the same as a banana's. I imagine this shared 44% is part of the "junk DNA" that evolved at the early stages of life, and has no apparent application in today's more complex organisms. (Unless bananas also have metaphysical abilities..... which some shamanic paths might agree with on some level.... ;-) )

SS
scepticallyspiritual

Satyr, apologies for accusing you of being a creationist and hello to a fellow pagan.

The way I understand junk DNA is that it arrived as a gradual evolutionary process over billions of years. We didn't suddenly materialise with only 5% of our DNA being useful. We started off as simple organisms. Because the first stage of evolution is random mutation (subsequently followed by natural selection) all sorts of DNA changes happen that may or may not be useful. Some of these might not make any difference to the biochemical functioning of the organism, others may benefit it and others may cause problems. as organisms evolve and become more complex, and environmental selection pressures change, it might be that one section of DNA becomes really important to survival while another one makes no difference to the organisms ability to survive. The latter would get passed on as the organisms reproduce until the effects of the DNA either became detrimental (in which case it would die out) or it mutates. If it never dies out or mutates, the more significant bits of DNA (the ones that actively affect how well an organisms survives in its environment) would become the most important in the funcitoning of the animal and the rest becomes "junk-DNA".

There have been lots of books flying about lately about the ability to switch genes on and off and I wonder what would happen if junk DNA became reactivated. I suppose it is possible that Junk DNA still has a role in metaphysical abilities - but maybe from a more "primeval" route - many people believe that animal's have a greater "energetic" sensitivity that most humans. Maybe metaphisical abilities developed early on in life. The difference is that we have the greater degree of self awareness to be able to control these abilities (and thus switch them off). Maybe Geoff's Soul-DNA isn't actually DNA inherited from past lives, but our souls are able to activate or deactivate various genes in the pre-existing junk-DNA.....

whatcha think?

SS
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

I tend to agree with you SS.
Problem with this "Aspects of DNA" is that there may be DNA which is inherited directly through physical ancestral bloodline which has effect on reincarnated soul that chose a particular circumstance re. parents but had to compromise in order to "do its thing".

Anecdotes:
I am currently working on my family tree. Nobody else in my family knows this. Yet.
I discovered (and this was complete news to me so I'm pretty sure nobody else in my family knew/knows) that I have connections with a family (different surname to mine) who settled in Topsham, Devon and Kilmington, near Axminster. Coincidentally (???!!), one of my daughters has a boyfriend who moved to Axminster a few weeks ago...before I even knew of this connection.
Yesterday she phoned me and said that she had driven to Topsham because "it sounded like it might be a nice place" and that she felt she "already knew the place", and Axminster was familiar - though she'd never been before; and she felt "like it was home" and "I'd like to come and live here when I finish Uni next year".

These ancestors of mine were ship-builders. When I was 18 I spent my "gap year" boat-building...never done it before...but was very happy and seemed to know what to do without instruction from my boss.

Chickens:
When I bred chickens from our own eggs, the new chicks, when they were let out of the shed for the first time ever (having lived on chick crumb) would run the 50 yards up the field straight to where the food troughs were- even though they hadn't seen them before or been there before -and I kept the older birds locked in to give the chicks a chance so there was no "following". It appeared that the chicks had inherited knowledge of where the troughs were.
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Post by Satyr »

scepticallyspiritual wrote:Satyr, apologies for accusing you of being a creationist and hello to a fellow pagan.
SS
Please, did not think of it in any way as an accusation, merely a misunderstanding cause I was trying to be kinda politically correct and not step on toes heheheh Greetings fellow pagan.
scepticallyspiritual wrote:I wonder what would happen if junk DNA became reactivated. I suppose it is possible that Junk DNA still has a role in metaphysical abilities SS
These are my thoughts exactly. I think we were "created/came about/whatever, with fully functioning DNA and possibly an assortment of metaphysical abilities and they were "switched off" in some way. When they, whoever they are, figure out more about our DNA, I am hoping we may find out what that "junk DNA" does.
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

(Simon) "Problem with this "Aspects of DNA" is that there may be DNA which is inherited directly through physical ancestral bloodline which has effect on reincarnated soul that chose a particular circumstance re. parents but had to compromise in order to "do its thing".

I tend to agree with you there, Simon except that I have dowsed that we dowsers don't choose our own parents :roll:

(Simon) "I am currently working on my family tree. Nobody else in my family knows this. Yet.
I discovered (and this was complete news to me so I'm pretty sure nobody else in my family knew/knows) that I have connections with a family (different surname to mine) who settled in Topsham, Devon and Kilmington, near Axminster. These ancestors of mine were ship-builders. When I was 18 I spent my "gap year" boat-building...never done it before...but was very happy and seemed to know what to do without instruction from my boss."

I have also researched my family to find that they existed all around Dartmoor in the 16th Century. I dowsed, several years ago that, for those of us who will not be re-incarnated on this planet, (you can dowse that) our ancestors in this life and their DNA are the most important we have ever had in our hundreds of past existences. So the more you find out about them the more you are likely to find out just who you are.

Geoff
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
scepticallyspiritual

Anyone come across morphic field theory?

From what I remember of a brief reading up on it a while back, it suggests that information, knowledge and traits are stored in our "morphic field" (from what I understand, our aura) and that the morphic field is also passed on during reproduction. I think there were some experiments done in the 60s or 70s where rats were bred and the time it took for them to complete a maze monitored. The offspring found their way through the maze faster than their parents (similar to Simon's Chick's). I think the main problems were that the experiements took a long time to prepare as you needed many generations of rats to show the effect and funding dried up.

So, are Simon's anecdotes explainable by morphic field theory? or is it junk DNA? or just coincidence?

SS
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Post by Satyr »

SS, in my opinion its a bit of morphic field theory, maybe a bit of past life history and a bit of something else I'm not sure about all bundled up together.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

scepticallyspiritual wrote:Anyone come across morphic field theory?
For more on morphic fields see the website of Rupert Sheldrake.

Hope this helps

Ian