Jesus 'may have visited Britain'

Other news items of interest (aka Ian's Corner).
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Re: Jesus 'may have visited Britain'

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

Sorry David, but I don't follow your remark. Could not trace that you have contributed to this subject before.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Post by arthur hamlin »

Well, yes and no again.
I get that Jesus only came once to England to the west country for an adventure when he was about 16 with Joseph his uncle and a party of approx 17 others.
But amazing healing work by Jesus was the pivotol factor in getting people to accept God`s Laws and move away from ancester worship. As was the case when making landfall at the various places getting here.
I do not get that Jesus or anyone in his party went to Scotland or Iona or much further north than Glastonbury when they did the two walkabouts in that area.
Geoff, you and I have done a lot of this before and unless someone unearths something physical relating to this expedition we could be repeating ourselves quite often, but if it really helps someone and has purpose I do not mind but believe it may be best to refer similar enquiries to our previous responses somehow .
I do not get that Jesus did mining work in cornwall.
I do get that Jesus and Thomas were dowsers and they showed this skill to the native people both in the West Country and East Anglia to look for underground water.
The single length hardwood twig or branch used was just over 2 feet long which they brought from the Holy Land.
Arthur
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

(A) Geoff, you and I have done a lot of this before and unless someone unearths something physical relating to this expedition we could be repeating ourselves quite often, but if it really helps someone and has purpose I do not mind but believe it may be best to refer similar enquiries to our previous responses somehow .

(G) We have, Arthur, but I thought that this new approach by HMJ might be worth pursuing.

(A) I do not get that Jesus did mining work in cornwall.

(G) Probably because your source was not there...mine was, apparently.

(A) I do get that Jesus and Thomas were dowsers and they showed this skill to the native people both in the West Country and East Anglia to look for underground water.The single length hardwood twig or branch used was just over 2 feet long which they brought from the Holy Land.

(G) That's all agreed except for the East Anglia bit where I suspect your source was. Presumably the twig was a bobber of some kind.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Post by arthur hamlin »

Perhaps I should have said the Isle of White, Abbotsbury and the West Country.
But I am now getting that Jesus with this rod/wand located an underground stream west of Brook on the IOW. He had 6 or 7 onlookers to help prove that dowsing worked. Digging occured before he left the Island. It was lined with stone and potable water was the result.
Arthur
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Post by arthur hamlin »

Geoff said:-
(G) That's all agreed except for the East Anglia bit where I suspect your source was. Presumably the twig was a bobber of some kind.
(A) I feel that my source was in Cornwall but not in East Anglia. But certainly on passing in both places.
Arthur
Vapour Trail
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Vapour Trail »

Geoff said:
I got in touch with ‘Geoffrey of Monmouth’ (or rather his soul memory) and asked (dowsed) whether he knew that to be true. He said that he did not believe it to be true and could not confirm it. He also said that the info in his book History of the Kings of Britain’ was translated by him from scrolls written in Latin that he found way down below the Abbey at Strata Florida. Another example of someone obtaining knowledge from elsewhere rather than first hand.

I taped interviews I had in 2000 with ‘Geoffrey of Monmouth’ through a Trance Medium friend of mine, typed them into a word file that I have on my computer if anyone is interested.
Blimey Geoff! Would I be interested! Not half! I'll PM you with an e-mail address, if you wouldn't mind passing the document through to me - I'd love to read it. I find GoM to be a most interesting character, and SO MUCH historical information that we rely upon today seems to have come from this one source.

Glad to see you're keeping up with the old Hedge Druid blog too - thanks for that.
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

Just to add to the mix-
Professional historians tend to laugh out loud when you mention the notion that Jesus might have lived in Kashmir - but his tomb is now firmly on the tourist trail - and a growing number of credulous visitors believe that he was buried in the Rozabal shrine.

And for those who scoff, remember that others have argued, just as implausibly, that Jesus came to Britain.

A theory that was much in vogue when the poet William Blake famously asked: "And did those feet in ancient time, walk upon England's mountains green? And was the holy Lamb of God on England's pleasant pastures seen?"
Taken from the BBC "From our Own Correspondent" site for Radio 4.
Click link above also for Beeb link to the podcast or iPlayer versions.
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

I've only just learned that Dr. Gordon Strachan died on 14 July past, aged 76.

Here is his obituary in The Guardian

And here in The Scotsman

I also found this article in Fortean Times, written by Ted Harrison, the documentary film-maker from Pilgrim Productions who made And Did Those Feet?, based on Gordon's book. The film is supposed to be available on DVD, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere - not even on the Pilgrim Productions website. I've emailed them for details.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

A discovery I made today: all this stuff about Joseph of Arimathea visiting Stonehenge is mentioned in the automatic writings of Bligh Bond, in the collection of writings known as the "Glastonbury Scripts".

I wonder if Gordon knew, or did he work it out intuitively from the book of Enoch etc.?

There's no mention of Bligh Bond in the FT article, I notice.

Ian

Edited by I.P. 13.5.11 - added info link on Glastonbury Scripts
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

But Bligh Bond has a Facebook page! and there is also a video to be found "dramatising" the "Glastonbury Fraud", towards the end of which the medium is seen doing automatic writing with a pen in one hand and pendulum in the other.
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Just came across this piece of TV footage of the late Dr. Gordon Strachan, plugging Jesus The Master Builder on stv...
Jesus may have visited Scotland according to Scottish minister

Dr Gordon Strachan claims that Jesus may have visited Scotland before turning 30. Speaking on The Hour, Strachan said Jesus “wouldn’t have missed the chance” to visit Scotland if he had travelled all the way to England with his uncle, Joseph of Arimathea, as he believes he did.
CLICK HERE for the video report.

Ian
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

That link doesn't work for me Ian. Looks like STV aren't allowing direct linking?
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Old link, probably gone now.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

An appreciation of Gordon Strachan

http://gordonstrachan-muc.blogspot.co.uk/

His film, "And did those feet?" doesn't seem to be listed on the IMDB or BFI databases.

Ian
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

Just thought I'd post a link to a very current piece of theological news that has certainly been kept quiet!

Fr Thomas Brodie endorses the Christ myth theory.