Rector throws Tai Chi class out of church hall

Other news items of interest (aka Ian's Corner).
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Post by Ian Pegler »

from the Telegraph...

A rector threw a Tai Chi class out of his church hall after ruling that the exercise was not compatible with Christianity.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
mike
Professional
Professional

Re: Rector throws Tai Chi class out of church hall

Post by mike »

So if your not Christian your not welcome then it seems, or is it having none Christian thoughts, so much for reaching out to other faiths in this day and age, burn the witches, destroy the evil stones,turn the clock back a thousand years why dont you....WHY in the Christian Church is there no thought given to embracing other faiths and encourageing other faiths to visit and be made welcome to discuss their beliefs, and help bring all other faiths closer so you can understand them better.If people never talk, and approach other faiths with suspicion like in the past how can we ever hope to bridge the gap between us all the world over....Seems like a jobsworth situation,follow the sheep in front and never ever leave the path well worn that exists laid down hundreds of years ago in different times, who wants to be the first one to open your heart to other faiths, and their needs to be allowed to follow their faith in these difficult times....Something has to change,a need to allow those who dont follow your religion to exercise their right to meet and worship as they wish to,doing an exercise that was perhaps born in the far east does not make that exercise evil, just because it was first practiced in Japan does not make it anti Christian ?
Got a few questions
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Got a few questions »

Well said, Mike! And in the wake of this come the reports of hundreds of Nigerian Christians being killed. For why?
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Post by Satyr »

Whenever I see things like this, it reinforces the thought that I have that the christian church is running scared. If they have as much faith in their congregations as they have in their God, then other religions (exercise programs?????) would not be a problem. What is it that they are so desperately scared of???? Lack of donations in the coffers from church members who are leaving in droves to join other religions??????
Practice random acts of kindness
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

Do not the examples mentioned above indicate a kind of boyishness ‘my religion is better than yours’ that some priests believe which allows them to exercise the control they want to exert on those with whom they come into contact. Several priests could be considered to be control freaks and some of their respective flocks follow their example and that can lead, ultimately, to fundamentalism. Other priests revel in the power that they have to order people around although I must admit I have met some of that ilk who have also exhibited a considerable degree of compassion.

I had an ancestor who was a Primitive Methodist Minister in Cornwall in the mid 1800s. He was known as ‘Hell Fire’ Bennetts because he consistently preached that Hell Fire was what sinners would suffer when they passed on. His teaching must have had some effect because the local paper, although it dared not comment on his ultimate destination, it did mention that over 2000 people lined the streets when his funeral cortege went by. I have never been quite sure whether some of those who attended were glad to see the back of him or not.
:P
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

Fear can be very powerful.

I quite like the notion that the opposite of love is fear; consequently the opposite of fear is Love.
(But there is distinction to be made between Ego love and Universal Love, is there not?)

Ironic, then, that religions that purport to preach love (Love?) have come to be associated, through the words and actions of some of their proponents, with fear.

:evil:
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Harri
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Harri »

The main point that makes me sort of understand the Rector's point of view is that it says it was a Church hall. If that is the only community centre around that makes it less fair, but if there are other choices of venue I can see that he may feel that a practice; that he probably believes; is dangerous for people shouldn't be seen to be endorced by the Church by being in it's hall. If he was trying to get it banned from a venue nothing to do with the church that would really worry me. Personally I feel that there are spiritual forces /entities that many people will call different things depending on their religion that are actually the same. But if you represent a religion that strongly believes certain practices will open you up to dangerous demons... surely the responsible thing to do would be not to be seen to be endorcing it, while lovingly allowing people to use their free will to go elsewhere if your teaching hasn't rang true with them.
Harri
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science.
(Einstein)
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

And the next step is ban and not allow any dowsing in Church halls or grounds, WHO I wonder first said dowsing was the work of evil forces in the Church, as just about EVERY religion follows this incorrect thought here in the UK ??
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

mike wrote: WHO I wonder first said dowsing was the work of evil forces in the Church, as just about EVERY religion follows this incorrect thought here in the UK ??
I believe it was Martin Luther, that paragon of the Reformation. in 1528, he denounced dowsing in 'Decem praecepta' as being the work of the Devil and accused dowsers of breaking the First Commandment.
But to counter that, there is the Biblical story of Moses finding water in the desert with his staff...
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

I found this site and my computer monitor has suffered...(splutter, spit....gasp...)
"DOWSING [ Water Witching ]

ALSO, THE PENDULUM OF EUROPE
Satanic Occult Powers are Being Used by Pagans and Bible Believers Alike"
It should, maybe, come with a "health warning"! However, it could also be argued that it does the opposite of what it is trying to do....
Anyone who reads this list and still believes dowsing is a scientific practice rather than a psychic ability has more faith in science than is safe.
The research of Ben G. Hester, Dr. Kurt Koch, and others reveals that dowsing is considered an acceptable, or at least innocent, practice in the minds of many Christians. Dr. Koch observes that....

"believing Christians are divided on the question of what they should think of rod and pendulum [dowsers]. I have met doctors, pastors, missionaries, and even evangelists who use the rod or pendulum and believe they have received this gift from God." (Kurt Koch, Occult ABC (Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel, 1980), 185-86. )

Please understand that Koch believes the pendulum is deeply evil, and he has had to bring many dowsers through deliverance because they became demonically oppressed due to their delving into this occult art.
Conversion to Christ may mean loss of the dowsing ability altogether. Prayer may hinder or prevent the dowsing process.
etc etc. :evil:
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Harri
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Harri »

Read the article, and sort of enjoyed it; it was like the mixed emotions of watching a spoof horror, funny but uncomfortably horrific at the same time. I suppose some people, once they've closed their mind around something, nothing else can get in. I find it amazing how some people will accept certain practices and not others and even accept some people doing exactly the same thing (as far as I can see) as others who they condemn based on terminology. The "spiritual gifts" such as healing, prophesy, and knowledge are seemingly good or evil depending who's doing it. Great artists creating religious art being inspired by the Holy Spirit sounds very like bards being inspired by Awen. Isn't prayer a form of meditation? People who feel the need to brand things as good or evil, rather than making the most of what is available to them, seem to have given themselves the job of having to choose (or be told and piously accept it) and then stick to the rules. If someone in their church has the gift of healing that's a wonderful blessing but don't go to anyone else as they practice satanic arts... The part about people discovering other spiritual abilities the more they dowse could still be attributed to Christ or wherever people believe the information's coming from couldn't it? And as that connection strengthens from use, and we develop spiritually wouldn't it be great if we could rejoice in whatever way we feel comfortable with; without judgement by other people. Or establish more links with neuroscientists and physicists striving for answers if we choose.

Hmmm, what have goat herding boys got to do with God's will? They filled a well with stones that had been dowsed by a church member that the powers that be doubted and it was proclaimed as God's will?! (A drilling company my husband used to work for had been put off drilling in 3rd world countries because of so many people throwing stones in and ruining the well (the Co. the BSD is affiliated with, selling/giving ownership to locals seems a v.good idea to stop this, sometimes education is needed too)) Also, while I'm on my high horse; before I climb back down; a girl who had experienced demons in her room wasn't troubled any more after prayer... If you experience "the old hag" during sleep paralysis: believing that you can't be harmed tends to work, whether you're prayed for or meditate on surrounding yourself with white light or just think positive. The placebo effect works wonders! (Should be available on NHS)
Off to kill a goat, been asked to dowse later.
Harri
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science.
(Einstein)
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Post by Ian Pegler »

It's happened again...!

from the Telegraph...
'Unchristian' Tai Chi classes banned from church hall

Members of a Tai Chi class said today they have been told they can no longer use a church hall because the gentle martial art is not consistent with the Christian faith.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Monks in Tibet have used this as protection for hundreds of years along with other martial arts, not as a form of attack but defence, dont see how it could be regarded as evil/unchristian to learn this,and might just help get those few EXTRA pounds off round the waist. :mrgreen:
B.J.C.Courtney
Novice
Novice

Post by B.J.C.Courtney »

I have not been online for a long time, and was just reading past threads and read this one?

It seams very odd to me that a rector did this as most if not all Christian Churches are built on pagan sites of mystical nature, just as the Romans built and renamed Celtic sites like bath, and much more, they also renamed the pagan or prechristian gods.

Thus as stated i find it very weird that he actualy threw out the Tai Chi group! 8)
Bryan a some what Dsylexic travler in time and space.
mike
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Very good point B.J.C.C, rude to call you just B.C. that would suggest you are older than even me, :lol: , I shall Google the Church in Bexhill to see if it stands on an old ancient sacred site, that would put the cat among the pigeons !!