6 People Who Gained Amazing Skills from Brain Injuries

Other news items of interest (aka Ian's Corner).
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

from Cracked.com...

In real life, people don't suffer freaky events like getting struck by lightning or getting part of their brain removed and then suddenly find themselves with new superpowers, like heat vision or flight. However, people do apparently suffer freaky events and then gain the ability to do art.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Re: 6 People Who Gained Amazing Skills from Brain Injuries

Post by Helen-Healing »

Great find, Ian - I loved that! 8) Quite extraordinary transformations.
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Post by arthur hamlin »

Just wondering if they tried dowsing what their responses would be like! :lol
Arthur
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Post by Lyndon Ronstadt »

So, damage the rational side of the brain and the intuitive/artistic side takes over. Seems logical/intuitive - depending on your orientation. Pressure on the coccyx eh? I've long suspected the super rationalists need a kick up the bum.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Lost my Coccyx when I was about ten years old, its now part of my arm bone/ right arm, but I dowse with both arms/hands, so when do I get those amazing skills...I think any brain injury can cause rewiring of the brain after the brain has suffered damage, so perhaps new wiring allows new skills to be learned and used..Eyesight in people who have been blind since birth sometimes returnes with the knock on the head in an accident, there is much we need to learn from these different situations, with the brain controlling some of the functions, even sky diving has returned sight to people who were blind before jumping ?
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

mike wrote:sky diving has returned sight to people who were blind before jumping ?
Really?? :shock: Have you got a link to that, Mike? I can't seem to find anything about it on the 'net.
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Hi Helen,
I think it was Discovery Channel about a lady who was blind after an illness and she went sky diving, and while dropping to the ground her sight returned enough to see colours while falling down ,and this improved for her to see out of both eyes again after a short period.As she said, if I never gone sky diving I would be walking with a white stick still, while now I can do most things, not sure if it was the UK or not ? Perhaps it was blood pressure during the drop forced a blood vessel to open, and feed the optic nerve perhaps, allowing the optic signals to enter the brain again in a normal/restricted fashion ? Might be a cause to allow people with eye problems/blindness to sit in a barometric chamber while they reduce the pressure or increase it to see if changes occur in the eyes, I dont know what pressure changes would happen with a sky dive, increased pressure I imagine, NEVER get me doing it. :mrgreen: