The Glastonbury Zodiac

Other news items of interest (aka Ian's Corner).
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

The Glastonbury Zodiac

Post by Ian Pegler »

Just came across this trailer on YouTube...looks interesting...

Ian
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Re: The Glastonbury Zodiac

Post by simonwheeler »

Thought the trailer was dreadful. Sorry!
Have you seen this account by Kathy Doore. I can cope with that!!
It links to Arthurian Mythology articles.
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Post by Lyndon Ronstadt »

Great promotional material! :lol:

Here's an interesting book on the subject I obtained consequent to my walking the Glastonbury Zodiac.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

There's more about this on the website of Yuri Leitch:
Yuri Leitch wrote:The Glastonbury Zodiac was discovered by Katharine Maltwood during the early 1920s; she called it the Temple of the Stars.

Whilst studying a translation of The High History of the Holy Graal, one of the oldest Arthurian romances, and looking at maps of Somerset, attempting to find the locations where King Arthur and his knights had their adventures, Katharine discovered a huge lion drawn by the curving River Cary. After the lion she found a giant and then a friend of hers suggested a zodiac – but much more than a zodiac was found as the entire heavens were seen to be mirrored upon the ground.
The High History of the Holy Graal is also known as The Perlesvaus and the version studied by Maltwood was the translation by Sebastian Evans (reproduced more recently by the publishers Llanerch). Towards the end of the book is the following:
"The Latin from whence this history was drawn into Romance was taken in the Isle of Avalon, in a holy house of religion that standeth at the head of the Moors Adventurous..."
Ian
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Post by Lyndon Ronstadt »

I'm not sure if advertising the zodiac, as this film will inevitably do, is a good thing. Yes, it'll be good for the local tourist industry, but much of the zodiac is on private land and how long the owners of this land will tolerate an invasion of hippy culture is uncertain. We've already had our right to roam rescinded by a Tory government and likely there is still a tend of thought in this direction. At present the zodiac is available to all those with a serious interest in its investigation, but it would be a sad day if such access is denied (again) to all but accredited academics on the ground of unacceptable behaviour by the public.

I remember in one field there were horses and, in another, a bull. It doesn't take too much imagination to realise what the likely consequences will be if animals are disturbed or people injured by inebriate or otherwise inappropriate behaviour by those who are simply following a newly fashionable trend.
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

Coincidentally, I went to a meeting at Steiner House last night where Emma Stow gave a short talk on the Glastonbury Zodiac!

This is the lady.