Church rattled by Da Vinci code

Other news items of interest (aka Ian's Corner).
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Holy Blood Holy Grail - old hat?

Post by Ian Pegler »

Hi Deborah B,

Welcome to the forum.
Deborah B wrote:Sorry, but is there only me in the whole world who thinks that as 'The holy Blood and the Holy Grail' was published more than 25 years ago its "controversial" aspects are now somewhat old hat
I don't see the link between the age of a theory and the question of its validity (or otherwise).
Deborah B wrote:and that "The Da Vinci Code" was the biggest load of (badly written) twaddle that I have had the misfortune to read in almost as long?
Dunno. Never read it.
Deborah B wrote:Am I cynical in thinking that Dan Brown and various members of the clergy have been fueling each others' publicity machines and all controversy is greeted eagerly by both sides?
It may be cynical, but it may also be a valid point! On the other hand, if Boris Johnson is right (see previous post) more than 10% of the U.K. population now believes the Bloodline theory. The church would not want Christians to adopt heretical beliefs.
Deborah B wrote:I can hardly believe that people are actually sitting here discussing the "implications" of what is just a painfully bad novel. I wasted money and time on the thing. There went £6.99 and five hours of my life that I'll never get back again!
If it was that bad, how come you got to the end in five hours flat? How come you got to the end at all, for that matter?
Deborah B wrote:Surely the hype which convinces unsuspecting members of the public into parting with hard earned cash for this sort of rubbish is the most controversial aspect of this whole sorry mess.
But the hype played on the controversial issues raised by the book.

Ian
Deborah B

Post by Deborah B »

Further to Ian Pegler's comments above. I can understand a lot of what he's saying as I don't think I made myself too clear. In essence what I was trying to state was that these issues should indeed be raised, but not within the context of what is a piece of literature of (very) limited merit. More that they should be brought into a more considered discussion of the facts and theories. As I understand it Paris is currently awash with 'Da Vinci Coders' touring the sites with little or no appreciation of where fiction ends and fact or theory begins.

Nor did I say that the ideas published in 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' had deteriorated with age, I merely mused about this novel's ability to suddenly bring the theory to the general public's attention.

As for reading it in 5hrs flat, sadly I read rather quickly and finish most novels in around that time, it's a curse rather than a blessing, you should feel the weight of my suitcases when they contain sufficient holiday reading. I read the book to the end because I always read a book to the end, I have only ever discarded one book unread and that was because the racist material within it was offensive beyond belief - it was also the only book I ever burned, I even passed 'The Da Vinci Code' on to the local charity shop.
Elaine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Elaine »

Hi Deborah.......I agree that in our celebrity culture people, events and happenings are hyped and trivialised.....the ego is always after self gratification to define itself and dubious so-called knowledge is one of the latest 'must haves!'
I think that the problem today lies in spiritual emptiness and soul starvation.....it seems that we've forgotten to search deep within ourselves and instead go pied piper-like after the sensational. The Da Vinci Code may fall into the latter category, but I think there are many paths to Truth and it may be found by walking the compassionate way......IMHO.

elaine
Elaine
Deborah B

Post by Deborah B »

Hello Elaine,

When contributing my thoughts to this topic, the last thing on my mind was to offend anyone and their beliefs, if this has been the case then I sincerely apologise. I think my problem with the DVC is that many years ago when I read 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' I thought that it would make a great novel, so I looked forward to reading the DVC and was very disappointed.

In addition to that I have read many novels over the past months some of which were, admittedly, just as bad, but others which had far more merit and which covered subjects of equal importance such as child abuse, mental illness and genocide. Yet in non of these cases has a debate raged over their subject matter. I just feel very uncomfortable with all that is going on around the DVC as much of it can never be proven, and much of it depends upon belief. I just get the feeling that many people are using it to pursue their own agendas.
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

No cameras allowed at Rosslyn

Post by Ian Pegler »

[Rosslyn] Chapel bosses have announced that from January 2nd 2008, visitors will no longer be allowed to take photographs or videos of the ancient interior – for "health and safety"[???] reasons.

CLICK HERE to read the article.

Mystified ! :shock:

Ian
Helen-Healing
Proficient
Proficient

Re: No cameras allowed at Rosslyn

Post by Helen-Healing »

Ian Pegler wrote:Mystified ! :shock:
"people had tripped or fallen while gazing up at the ornate carvings on the ceiling." :lol: Hehehe!

And perhaps they will now be selling their very own photos of the interesting parts of the interior??

:)
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Post by Ian Pegler »

Helen-Healing wrote:And perhaps they will now be selling their very own photos of the interesting parts of the interior??

:)
Oh you can put money on it, I reckon.

Ian
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Post by Ian Pegler »

Well scouted simon!

If they were really that concerned they could do something about the dim lighting or the uneven floor.

Health and Safety - yeah, right. Wo-eva.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Bloodline - the movie

Post by Ian Pegler »

For those who found the Da Vinci Code too low-brow, I found this link:

http://www.bloodline-themovie.com/

The trailer looks interesting. There is more emphasis on the theory of actual physical treasure - a view shared by Rat Scabies.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Post by Ian Pegler »

A report from the Evening Times...
A GLASGOW historian believes he may have solved the world's most ancient mystery - and found the Holy Grail.

Mark Oxbrow is preparing to export his amazing discovery to the US leaving fans of book and movie blockbuster the Da Vinci Code with a new theory to consider.

During a trip to Paris, Mark, 36, from the West End, stumbled across what he believes is the real Holy Grail - and it's not a bloodline between Jesus and Mary Magdalene as claimed in the book and film.

While exploring medieval treasures in the Louvre, Mark found a green gem-encrusted serving dish which he thinks could have been used at the Last Supper.

Amazingly the French national treasure dates back to the time of Christ, matching descriptions of the Grail.

CLICK HERE to view a large image.

Ian

Edited to add link to image 03.01.08
Helen-Healing
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Helen-Healing »

Yeah right. :roll: Would Jesus & his mates be using such an ornate & costly item? I think not. Anyway, it's been dated to between '1BC - 9th century'. The fishes look pretty happy though.

I thought the comments were the best bit of the article! :D
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Fish

Post by Ian Pegler »

Helen-Healing wrote:Yeah right. :roll: Would Jesus & his mates be using such an ornate & costly item? I think not.
I sort of agree with you there, although it may be begging the question a bit. How would we know?
Anyway, it's been dated to between '1BC - 9th century'. The fishes look pretty happy though.
As I understand it, the patene dates to between 100BC and 100AD. The "9th century" is a reference to the fact that it was modified at a later date. The following quote is the Google (rather poor) translation of the description from the Louvre website:
It consists of two distinct and different epochs. The quality of the size of the apparent patène best works of the ancient glyptique before the first century and the first century AD, marbled dark green of the serpentine is inlaid with eight small gold fish (including Both are missing), probably added at the time of the Roman Empire for the liturgical use of the object.
from here.

So the fish were added later.
I thought the comments were the best bit of the article! :D
On the other hand it does have one or two things going for it:

1) (As I understand it) it dates to the right era. This is more than can be said for most of the so-called "contenders".
2) It is the right size and shape to be a GRAAL (the word used by Chrétien de Troyes in his Percival story.). i.e. the Grail was a dish in Chretien's original. It only became a chalice in later versions.

In short, what you are looking at is how Chrétien de Troyes envisaged the Grail:
Chrétien de Troyes wrote:The grail that led the procession
Was made of the purest gold,
Studded with jewels of every
Kind, the richest and most costly
Found on land or sea.
Ian

Edited spelling 4.1.08 etc.
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Post by Ian Pegler »

I've now found the link to the English web-page on the Louvre website.

CLICK HERE

An extract...
This paten has been fashioned from an Antique dish of serpentine stone, inlaid with gold fish and dating from the 1st century BC or the 1st century AD. In the 9th century AD, a goldsmith working at the court of Charles the Bald (823-877) set the plate in a mount of gold, gemstones, and cloisonné garnets.
I find that very interesting.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Re: No cameras allowed at Rosslyn

Post by Ian Pegler »

Ian Pegler wrote:[Rosslyn] Chapel bosses have announced that from January 2nd 2008, visitors will no longer be allowed to take photographs or videos of the ancient interior – for "health and safety"[???] reasons.

Mystified ! :shock:

Ian
The following article appeared in Amateur Photographer recently:
Photographers have criticised a medieval chapel featured in The Da Vinci Code movie after it banned photography on health and safety grounds blaming cracked and uneven flooring.

Among those angered by the move is Edinburgh-based photographer Malcolm Fife, who told Amateur Photographer magazine (AP) that this was an example of 'yet another restriction on photographers', suggesting instead that 'it may be a plot to make visitors buy postcards from the large gift shop'.

Ian