Dogs poop in alignment with geomagnetic field

Other news items of interest (aka Ian's Corner).
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Dogs poop in alignment with geomagnetic field

Post by Grahame »

This is an article from 2014 that came up on Twitter today... At first I thought this was just a 'slow news day' kind of story, but it does perhaps have some dowsing relevance in the sense that it demonstrates that dogs are sensitive to the Earth's magnetic field.
Dogs poop in alignment with Earth’s magnetic field, study finds
Dogs use the Earth’s magnetic field when they’re relieving themselves. Not only that, but canines choose to do so in a north-south axis, a new study published in the journal Frontiers in Zoology(PDF) says.

The study suggests that dogs are sensitive to small variations in Earth’s magnetic field. After examining 70 dogs — made up of 37 breeds — over two years, 1,893 defecations and 5,582 urinations, researchers found that under “calm magnetic field conditions,” dogs preferred to “excrete with the body being aligned along the north-south axis,” avoiding east-west altogether. Dogs were observed in a free-roaming environment, meaning they were not leashed and not influenced by walls or roads that would influence linear movement.
Full report from HERE.

Now we need to know which breeds make the best 'dowsing dogs'! :D
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
TN FireWalker
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Dogs poop in alignment with geomagnetic field

Post by TN FireWalker »

Grahame, Sir, I saw the title and had to read the article. Dang, sadly we have no dogs, but if I did, I'd be watching for sure.
What a hoot!!! Never knew this. I'd love to know what breeds, age..and more.
What about cows? horses? Forget cats, they live in their own universe!
Thanks for sharing. Gave me a giggle as well as a wow, did not know that.
Nancy
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

We have two little dogs, so I will watch them closer when they go Nancy,and report back here,hope the dogs dont mind !!
TN FireWalker
Beginner
Beginner

Post by TN FireWalker »

Mike, that would be a great idea, but yes 'respect the little critters' privacy.
Interesting to know the results.
Nancy
mike
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter
Professional
Professional

Post by mike »

Checked a few times now and at least our dogs have no clear direction when it comes to poop,they go each and every direction all day long.But it was worth a try to check, and I never told anyone dogs and all in case it caused offence, you know how upset girls can get,I have 3 in our house so I tried careful.
TN FireWalker
Beginner
Beginner

Post by TN FireWalker »

Mike, good job on the follow up!
Dang, thought you might have been onto something there. Could have been too that because you were 'watching' them...they decided to throw you off their trail. Ha Ha.
But,as we know there is always things happening around us.
:)
Nancy