Ley Lines: The UK's mysterious ancient pathways

Leys, Alignments, Energy leys, ley lines... what do you call them?
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Ley Lines: The UK's mysterious ancient pathways

Post by Grahame »

An interesting article on the BBC website:
Earlier this year, artist and performer bones tan jones walked from Silvertown, in the London Borough of Newham, to the sacred circle of Stonehenge. The route was deliberate: both sites are locations of proposed underground road tunnels. "I've always been interested in the opposition between the natural and the artificial, the sacred and the un-sacred," explains tan jones. "So I decided to walk from the entrance of the Silvertown tunnel… to the monumental stone circle at Stonehenge, and see how I could connect them."

The record of that journey now forms an exhibition called Tunnel Visions, currently on display at Queercircle, near Silvertown. Tan jones's blend of spirituality, music, ritual, craft, sculpture and moving image has won them commissions at the ICA, the Serpentine and the Shanghai Biennale (2021), among others. For six days, tan jones moved through urban and rural landscapes, on the way encountering several holloways – roads or tracks that are significantly lower than the land on either side, and not formed by recent engineering – and The Harrow Way, said to be the oldest road in Britain. Along the journey, the artist responded to what they saw with poetry, storytelling but most of all, song. "I found out about the Circle of Perpetual Choirs, druids who would always be singing, at a stone circle or old yew tree or a place of strong earth energy, to maintain the peace of the land. I wanted to, singlehandedly, be that choir."
Apart from the now-inevitable attribution of Alfred Watkins calling them 'ley lines', when he only ever used the term 'ley' (see this thread for discussion on that), it's not a bad article.

CLICK HERE for full article.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.