Ley Lines

Leys, Alignments, Energy leys, ley lines... what do you call them?
scott berkshire

Ley Lines

Post by scott berkshire »

(Several topics merged! - GG)

I wonder if you could help me.

I have recently moved to a village called Lambourn in Berkshire, from
my native Cornwall.

I have been told by a friend that there is a ley line which travels from
my home in Penwith through this village and also crosses another ley line
nearby.

Could you point me in the direction of were I can obtain a map of detailed
map of the ley lines.

Thankyou

Scott
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

What is a ley line?

Post by Ian Pegler »

In another thread Sig Lonegren asked "what is dowsing", so I'd like to pose the question:

What is a ley-line?

I'd like to have your opinions, before putting forward my own ideas.

Ian.
Romaine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Romaine »

In the world the name "leyline" is used for three things:
-all kinds of energylines
-geopathic stress (of what you can get ill)
-a specific energynetwork (on wich the sacred places are built, like tree-sanctuaries, roman temples, fortresses, burial mounds, dolmens, menhirs, stonecircles, old churches and also motte are built)

Frindly greetings,
Romaine

http://www.leylijnen.com/
Sig

ley lines

Post by Sig »

Ian asks for a definition of "ley line". I musty admit that I don't have one because I honestly never know what people mean when they use this term.

Alfred Watkins called the alignment of holy sites that he rediscovered "leys." Or he would speak of a particular ley. Watkins never used the term "ley line."

John Michell asked me in the late seventies not to call the straight yang six to eight foot wide beams of energy that I was dowsing "leys." He was right. They are not always one and the same. So since then, I have been calling these six to eight foot wide beams of yang energy "energy leys."

Sometimes this energy is associated with leys. And sometimes it isn't. A good example of this is the 4 inch ley I found at Avebury which runs from the Church, along a straight part of the ditch of the circle, through several stones in the West Kennet Avenue and to a bronze age barrow on the horizon near the Sanctuary. There is no energy flowing along this ley.

In New England, where I did my Masters Degree work on this subject, I found numerous energy leys, and only a handful of leys.

So I make a distinction between leys - alignments of holy sites, and energy leys those dowseable beams of yang energy that sometimes are found in association with leys.

So I do not use the term "ley line."

}:-)

Sig
Dan Wilson

Re: ley lines

Post by Dan Wilson »

Sig wrote:Alfred Watkins called the alignment of holy sites that he rediscovered "leys." Or he would speak of a particular ley. Watkins never used the term "ley line."
I think there's one mention of "ley alignment" in "The Old Straight Track".

I incline to protecting the Watkins copyright on the use of the word "ley". I would be interested to know what the cultural changes were in the Ley Hunters' Society after Watkins had founded it, when, in 1935 ? I do know that they got into dowsing around three years later but I'm not detecting (using dowsing) that ley-lines being a thing your dog liked - i.e. an "energy ley" - came into fashion until around 1951.

I keep off the word altogether. "Alignment" is evidently right but "good/bad" deserves a thorough knocking about. I do cover "energy alignments" in the courses I do but keep the definition deliberately vague, because I feel a proper language needs to be developed for them.

In a course I did for beginners in Spain, I got the participants to "find the energy alignments on this site" - no more steering than that. They spent about half an hour plotting them out with great gusto and animation, and when all the plans were brought together, there was only one alignment they'd all detected, and with crisp agreement at that.

From a talk Geoffrey King gave a long time ago, I'd spotted that these alignments have their own characteristics which change according to dowser - some see colours, some numbers, some strings-of-a-rope. I do this words-in-the-head thing which can be punched into suggesting optimal descriptions for mysteries like this, and while I'm no enthusiast for "truth" and the "optimal" may well merely be optimal for me and my path only, what it says consistently about alignments is that they are a map showing where the dowser or the client (depending on the exercise) is most drained or uplifted by a certain thought having that topographical association.

Using this idea, I "read" what the alignments meant for each student. Nearly all were "negative" and related to instinctive fears of which the receiver is not consciously aware. These line up very well with animal fears like drowning, fire, unsafe ground, strange animals, poisoning. The well-known "radiation" alignments associated with cancer prove to line up with animal fear of burning - which is why, incidentally, they often "connect" not just to phone masts and HT lines but old sacrifice sites.

Why the students didn't pick up much in the way of "positive" lines puzzled me, but the Voice (which you will please take in the jokey way it is presented) said, oh, but humans are much better tuned to environmental dangers than benefits. You have to be a nutcase to look for healing lines and these folk were beginners !
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

scott berkshire wrote:I have been told by a friend that there is a ley line which travels from
my home in Penwith through this village and also crosses another ley line
nearby.

Could you point me in the direction of were I can obtain a map of detailed
map of the ley lines.
Leaving aside the attempt to define what is meant my the term 'ley line' (if anything), I feel somebody ought to answer the original question here.
Scott, I believe your friend is probably talking about the 'Michael and Mary lines'. These are two meandering energy lines of yang and yin energy respectively that wind across southern England like two snakes coiled around a staff, from St. Michael's Mount in Cornwall to roughly Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk. They wind around a straight alignment of several churches and other sites that was first posited by John Michell, I think. The two lines were dowsed by Hamish Miller and are discussed in his book (with Paul Broadhurst), "The Sun and The Serpent". More details on the Penwith Press website. You can buy detailed OS maps of sections of the line directly from there.
Hamish has also found other similar paired energy lines, and a later book "The Dance of the Dragon" traces one such across Europe.
Whilst there is some controversy over Hamish's findings from other dowsers who don't find the same things he does, don't let that put you off as they are both great reads.
Last edited by Grahame on Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Grahame Gardner wrote:They wind around a straight alignment of several churches and other sites that was first posited by John Michell, I think.
Except that even Michell's "straight line" isn't really straight, it just looks straight on a map. Read Circles of Silence by Don Robins, Souvenir Press, 1985.

Here's a quote from Danny Sullivan's book "Ley-lines: A comprehensive guide to alignments"
[Atkinson] claimed that ley hunters, working from maps alone, did not take into account the distortions inherent in representing the curved surface of the Earth on a flat sheet of paper. Supporters of the ley theory rejected this criticism on the valid grounds that leys were of insufficient length for those types of errors to have any significant effect on a ground alignment. The vast long-distance leys, however, were certainly open to such criticism, and this is one reason why such incomprehensible alignments were dropped by serious ley researchers and only pursued by those writers and researchers with more faith behind them than evidence.

A classical example of the long-distance ley is the famous St. Michael Line, first brought to public attention by John Michell. This contentious alignment has been the subject of heated debate for many years. Now firmly entrenched in New Age consciousness due to its repeated publication since the enormously popular The Sun and the Serpent by Paul Broadhurst and Hamish Miller, any level-headed discussion about the St. Michael line is all but impossible. The alignment is alleged to be the longest straight line that can be drawn across mainland Britain. It starts at St. Michael's Mount off Penzance in Cornwall and extends through a series of churches dedicated to St. Michael and St. George (both dragon-slaying saints), through the Hurlers stone circle on Bodmin Moor, through Glastonbury Tor in the Somerset levels with the ruined St. Michael's church tower on its summit, through the megalithic ring at Avebury in Wiltshire and off across country near the ruined abbey of Bury St. Edmunds before diving into the sea off the cost of East Anglia.

With lines of this length distortions due to the curvature of the Earth do become significant, so much so that the line can only be made to work either for short sections of the alignment where the map error is small enough to be insignificant, or if the line is widened so much that it takes on the form of a swathe of up to one hundred metres in width rather than a precisely defined line. As a result, the line is only really convincing over a manageable distance. Keen not to dismiss the St. Michael line, authors Paul Devereux and Ian Thompson proposed the term 'geomantic corridor' in their 1979 book, The Ley Hunter's Compansion. This term was used to explain the phenomenon, suggestion that the line was probably the result of a series of straight alignments set out roughly end to end.

Eventually the argument was neither lost nor won and researchers went their own ways, either rejecting the idea of long-distance leys completely or embracing them within the notions of Earth energies and sacred cosmic landscapes. The latter interpretation reached its zenith in The Sun and the Serpent, when the energy dowser Hamish Miller proposed two intertwining energy lines that approximately followed the course of the supposedly straight St. Michael line. The idea proved hugely popular with audiences on both sides of the Atlantic and has remained a bugbear to serious ley research ever since its publication in 1989.
Better by far to learn to dowse, and find the energy where YOU find it, not necessarily where Hamish (or anyone else finds it).

Or are you looking for a trackway? How do we know how to answer the original question if we don't define the term "ley line"?

Ian
Romaine
Beginner
Beginner

What are ley lines?

Post by Romaine »

Hello all,

In the Netherlands we talk often about earth energies/energylines, and we question ourselves what these energies are. We study their environment, how do animals, plants, trees and humans react. We study the past, how did our ancestors use these energies with their sarced places. But the question with us remains what the leylines / other energylines exist out of. What are they? What is that what we call "energy"?

Anyone an idea?

Romaine
paganbouy

Post by paganbouy »

Hi all

My understanding of a 'ley' or 'ley line' is a straight alignment of at least 4 (as per Alfred Watkins - the old straight track) ancient/sacred monuments/sites which were once joined by a straight track. These tracks may or may not have earth energies associated with them, but will always have a residual energy left by the 'walkers' of that track.

I read somewhere ( I think it might even have been in the March 2005 EEG journal) that our ancestors (ancient man) used the earth energy lines (not nessasarly 'ley lines' to communicate between points by sending a message from one sacred point (say a stone circle) to another. The article is a very interesting read - If you haven't read it, do (MODERATOR - do the back issues get put on the web?).
(mod - YES THEY DO - I think you're referring to this article by Michael Cook in the June 2005 issue. ~GG)

Earth energies are an unknown force to us, just like electricity was a couple of hundred years ago - I believe earth energies are the life blood and mind of the earth - Not sure where it comes from - like electricity, we know how to generate it and use it - but we don't know where it comes from.

Not sure if I really answered the question there ?

Kindest Regards

Pete
Last edited by Grahame on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link
Peter Curtis
http://www.holisticpages.co.uk

"Long ago, when men used to curse and beat the ground with sticks it was called witchcraft - now its called golf"
Romaine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Romaine »

Hello Pete,

Thank you!
Most of the information you give me as answer is info I already knew, because I study the subject voor some years. I think I didn't ask my question precise enough to make the question understandable.

How the word leylines has been grown in the past century is different for each country. In the Netherlands we had an author who defined leylines as paths of energy and published a lot about it, so the people in Belgium and the Netherlands use that definition too. I use the word leylines as foolow:
Leylines = name for energetic paths of energy on which the christians and pagan people built their sanctuaries (and with this their alignments) on.

What my question was, is that at the moment we look at the usesage of ley/energylines in the (ancient) history and in the present too, we have several names for all types of energylines,

What are these energylines or earth energies what we call "energy"? What is this energy?? If speak to a person whos is able to built every machine which measures something, he only needs to know what this energy is in scientific names, and then he built a machine, what is it then what the "energies" of the earth exist out of?

Friendly greetings,
Romaine
paganbouy

Post by paganbouy »

Hi Romaine,

I certainly, and others I talk too about the subject don't nessasarly consider earth energies and ley lines the same thing - a ley line can exist on an earth energy line and is probably there because the energy line had been found and ancient man used it as a way to navigate. But thats off the point.

To return to you question - did you mean 'are the earth energies some kind of magnetic energy, or simular'? Here are soem of the ideas I've come up with:-
* If they were to be magnetic energy, then that enegy may come from various magnetic formations and seams below the earth surface, may be from a specific type of rock.
*The action of the earth rotating may cause magnetic effects across seams of ferrous metals
*They may be a peizo electric effect from crystals in seams of rock under pressure.
*They could also be 'stress lines' from the action of the earth turning (centrifugal force).
*They may be related, as the tides of the sea are, to influences of the moon or other solar activity.

I'm sure there are some more intelligent theories out there :-)

Kindest Regards

PeteC
Peter Curtis
http://www.holisticpages.co.uk

"Long ago, when men used to curse and beat the ground with sticks it was called witchcraft - now its called golf"
Romaine
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Romaine »

Some other people also mention:
-magnetic
-eletro-magnetic
-electric
-radio-active (low values)

So far I know are earth energies like energylines not the result of radioation coming out of the earth itself. It seems the energy is independent from other things.

Romaine
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

According to Stéphane Cardineaux (and his book which is a French reference Géométries Sacrées), this lines - that he calls "magical tubes" but the translation may be wrong - date back to 5000 years before Christ in Egypt. They are man-made through a process I would translate as "operative magic".

Different places corresponding to the same "culture" are linked by them : churches linked together, menhirs together...

For him, many churches, linked to each other by these lines, communicate the strength of their egregore during the ceremony which happens at the same hour on the different places.
The energy of the egregore is transported by the lines.

These "tubes" - like menhirs - need to be activated : they are normally closed. During his lectures, he puts people in the course of a tube and, while activating it, people feel pushed by the energy (some sensitive individuals even fall down).

He has used them to communicate in morse (open and close tubes). According to him, desincarnates also use theses tubes.

Olivier
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

Olivier writes

"According to Stéphane Cardineaux (and his book which is a French reference Géométries Sacrées), this lines - that he calls "magical tubes" but the translation may be wrong - date back to 5000 years before Christ in Egypt. They are man-made through a process I would translate as "operative magic

Different places corresponding to the same "culture" are linked by them : churches linked together, menhirs together... "
-------------------

There would seem to be a very interesting theory here - that places are linked by a line according to the culture and that churches are one of those cultures.

I have spent some hours looking at maps trying to find whether certain churches are linked by straight lines and, in certain cases, have found
that these lines pass directly through still standing monoliths and that leads me to think of the possibility of all the churches in that particular line replaced monoliths as part of the attempt by the church authorities
to wipe out the pagan influence that obtained in the early centuries AD,
the original locations of the monoliths being retained almost as a sop to the Cerberus of the day, but they would seem to be replacing one culture by another at the same locations.

I'm not sure whether it is accurate to call these particular lines Ley Lines" so I prefer to call them "Church Lines" because that is what they mostly join.

Although it is quite easy to locate these and other lines with L-rods, I have dowsed that there is never any energy present in either my "Church Lines" or in the original Ley Lines which leads me to wonder how on earth we can locate them by dowsing.

Geoff Stuttaford
Olivier

Post by Olivier »

Hello,

I am looking at a map - included in the book which I gave the title earlier - which shows : mountains, sacred places, menhirs, dolmens, rocks and churches linked by these artificial lines.

It is true that churches are linked with megaliths.

As you stated it, we may assume that the superimposition of sacred places of different cultures may be the reason for that.

They are also linked with mountains (what the author calls "natural megaliths"). Why? Do mountain produce some kind of powerful telluric energy?