Google Earth placemarks

Leys, Alignments, Energy leys, ley lines... what do you call them?
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Re: Google Earth leys & alignments project

Post by Ian Pegler »

Ian Pegler wrote:As a point of interest, sometime ago I published a small article in the West Wales Dowsers newsletter about an alignment of pubs, all of which are called "The Sun".

More recently, when I extended this line southwards I discovered that this alignment was pretty much an extension of the Dinedor ley although it isn't exactly the same. Nevertheless it whistles past All Saints Church by a few yards, goes through Hereford Cathedral on the western edge and through Dinedor Camp on the west side. It goes through Ross on Wye and over Leys Hill.

It was a source of amusement (and a little amazement) for me that this "arbitrary" alignment of pubs should be an extension pretty much, of a ley discovered so long ago by Alfred Watkins !!

Ian
It also goes through Jug's Grave, the site near Bradford on Avon, where Guy Underwood found a golden Sun-disc !! :shock:

Ian
Vapour Trail
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Google Earth placemarks

Post by Vapour Trail »

Grahame Gardner wrote:
Vapour Trail wrote:For those of you who live up this way, I have created a Google Map that I am using to verify landmarks and sites on what I am calling the Northern East-West ley
Vapour Trail, your link seems to have disappeared. I can't get it in either Google Maps or Google Earth.
You're quite right, Grahame - the moment I posted it, somehow, I managed to erase it too! I spent the next few months re-drawing that and other links. I'll try not to erase it this time. Here it is again for those in the area of North Wales, Cheshire and Derbyshire. Thanks for spotting that.
Beware, it's a work in progress so there are very many unverified and speculative lines. The one I originally posted about is the East-West line from Anglesey to Arbor Low (Stonehenge of the North). This may also connect in a lunation pythagorean triangle with Stonehenge in Wiltshire, but I feel that this may be a little skewed. Hard to tell drawing it with Google!

New link: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 77d5c910ab

Thanks all.
Rory
Novice
Novice

Post by Rory »

Hi Vapour Trail
I notice on your map that you record a line from Lands end across up to East Anglia. Is this connected to the St Michael and St Mary lines that runs along the same path. If they are one and the same, then do your other alignments also represent pairs of lines that meander across the country in the same way. If they do represent pairs of lines, are you aware of another major pair of lines that intersect the St Michael and St Mary at Royston and follow a NW SE direction going through Coventry, Birmingham and out across Wales to Anglesey and then across to Ireland.
By the way, like your Hengedruid site.
Regards
Rory
PS one other thing I remember Hamish Miller saying was that the St Michael & St Mary lines (and the Appollo and Athena lines) were not great circles on and around the planet. This would mean that they are not exactly straight, or in a plane, and that they have a slight curve. Does that change the geometry you mention?
Vapour Trail
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Vapour Trail »

Hi Rory,

Yes, the line from Land's End to East Anglia is my crude attempt to mark the Mary/Michael lines. I am intruiged by Hamish's statement that the lines may not encircle the globe. Having read Hugh Newman's book on Earth Grids ("Earth Grids: The Secret Patterns of Gaia's Sacred Sites") I cannot conceive of what would stop it from being linked into a larger grid system of Platonic shapes of some geometrical form or other. Newman does say, however, that the Apollo/Athena line is one of the great ley lines that encircles the globe, but he doesn't mention the Mary/Michael line in that context too.

You bring up the subject of pairs of lines. I suspect you mean a pairing of male and female energies, like the Mary/Michael combination? In that sense, I think you're right - they probably are in twisted pairs across the country. To be honest, I've been concentrating so much on the local scale of stone circle energies, that I haven't found the time to check whether any of those lines that run across the landscape are also in pairs of male and female. I will endeavour to do this soon. It does seem quite important to know, now that you point it out!

I am a good way off identifying anywhere near half the lines I suspect exist. I have another map on the go at Google which has a load more alignments that I need to test out, and I'll share that when I get the chance to prove them. Has anyone produced a ley line map of any comprehensive detail yet? In Glastonbury you can buy a local ley line map, which is very useful.
Rory
Novice
Novice

Post by Rory »

Hi Vapour Trail

With regards to my, and Hamish's, comments on the lines not being a great circle, what I meant was that they do not go round the world by the longest path - this would create two equal halves with the circle being part of a flat plane where the intersection between them was. They do however circle the world but it appears they do this in a way that is like a scooped slice if you were to continue the separation analogy. But as you say much more work needs to be done on the mapping of them all to really see the full picture. That I believe is the single most important thing we have to do and we need to do it fast. Only once we see the full picture can we begin to make some progress as to what it all might mean and how mankind can benefit from it all.

What I can say is that I too am mapping things on a more local scale and so far all the lines I have found have a counterpart, male and female some refer to it as. Hopefully the work will result in another local leyline map, however, just as I think I am nearing the end of the quest, another line pops up and I have to track that and its partner (when I eventually find it) across the whole area. Sometimes I wonder if I will not just end up with lines so densely packed the whole place will just be a mass of energy. But then thats not so mad either.

What I would love to see from all the dowsers is a UK map of all the major energy lines 30+ paces wide. Its too much for one person to get all around the country, but I am sure that a combination of map dowsers and local dowsers could put it together. For starters the major one I mentioned before Anglesey, Birmingham Coventry Royston is as big as the St Michael and St Mary and I have only mapped short sections.
That I think would be a worthy goal for the society as well as something that could be promoted in the press to get us more recognition and to boost membership.

Would love to do the full UK map, but have to work so can only do the local mapping exercise
Vapour Trail
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Vapour Trail »

I have a suggestion for a potential ley line running from the Isles of Scilly through Mont St.Michel to Minerbio in Italy. I have only been able to test one small part of the line that I have identified using Google Maps. The connection between many of the sites is a link of place names centred on Martin and the feminine counterpart Ann/Mary.

If anyone is in a position to check to see whether there are male/female/neutral earth energies at any of the points long the line other than Mont St.Michel, where I did find a neutral ley running above the crypt of St.Martin, then I would be most grateful for adding to the case for its existence.

You can see the line drawn out and the place names listed on my dowsing blog at: http://www.hedgedruid.com/?p=2447

Any help towards verification would be most appreciated. Not strictly a UK line, but...
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Google Earth placemarks

Post by Grahame »

Here's one that might be of interest to those in the Channel Islands...

Megalithic Guernsey
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Sally

Post by Sally »

Cant wait till I figure out how to do this,,,,, though I have to admit maps n me arent the best of friends :lol:
Any hints or tips greatfuly received

Sally x
Vapour Trail
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Vapour Trail »

Keeping the topic alive - I have found a rather interesting series of lines emerging from Arbor Low stone circle in Derbyshire. The full de-brief is contained in my blog post [http://www.hedgedruid.com/?p=4554} but the gist of it is that one windy night my friend Kal and I captured the bearings of several ley lines emanating from the site, and then I plotted them out using Google Maps.

The results were much more interesting than I could have possibly hoped for, encompassing such sites as Holy Island and Lindisfarne, down to Caerleon in South Wales. All quite amazing, and all preceding from site dowsing with a compass!

Here's a picture of the map I obtained from this:

Please check out the map itself from the link in the blog to zoom right in and see the correspondences for yourself.

Regards,
Vapour Trail.
Vapour Trail
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Vapour Trail »

Oh Sally,

Some crap tips for you to get started with Google Maps:

1. Get a Google account and then sign in with it.
2. Go to the Maps section and choose "Create a map"
3. Three tools are available for you: create a marker, create a line, and move around.
4. Go to where you want to start from, choose the "line" tool, click to start, then draw!
5. Double click when you want to end the line - name it.

It's really that easy! (Otherwise I wouldn't be doing it!)

Hope that helps get you started.

Vapour Trail.
Pudding

Post by Pudding »

HI. I have just joined the forum and found this topic.

I am a very experienced web developer and have experience with Google maps already for some years now. If the interest is still there, I would like to offer my services in building a custom map for this project.

I will look out for a reply, but it is an old thread somewhat and may have been abandoned.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
Vapour Trail
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Vapour Trail »

Hi Pudding (great name),

That all sounds very interesting! A custom map? What would that entail? How can we make this happen? What do you need from me?

Cheers,
Vapour Trail.
Pudding

Post by Pudding »

Vapour Trail wrote:Hi Pudding (great name),

That all sounds very interesting! A custom map? What would that entail? How can we make this happen? What do you need from me?

Cheers,
Vapour Trail.
Hi Vapour (also cool name)

Yes a custom map.
It would entail me manifesting someone's vision of a specific web-based mapping application using the latest in programming design. This is what I do on a day-to-day basis.
We have already begun to make it happen!
What do I need from you? Well, if there is a significant amount of data, I would need someone to input that for a start... I shall of course construct a means of doing that quickly or importing from a spreadsheet etc.
You will have to outline what it is you want to achieve by this in as much detail as possible. By that I mean the features that it offers to users.
As far as the data is concerned, it would be better to have the lat / long coordinates in decimal format for Google Maps, although I can do a conversion to one of the many other systems out there if necessary.

I still have an abandoned Google Maps project online here (link broken). It uses real time traffic information from the BBC. It's a good few years old now but still functions.

By the way, if it is for the BSD then I will offer my services for free.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.
Vapour Trail
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Vapour Trail »

Well, I'm impressed by the traffic app! At the moment I'm failing to have a vision of what I would want to see on a custom map that can't already be done using Google Maps, but that's probably just a failure of creative juices on my part.

Some features I can imagine being useful in such an app might be:-

1) Being able to import KMZ files of locations. I don't know how Google encode their lines, but even if they had to be re-drawn within the new app I don't foresee too much of an issue with that.

2) to tag lines with comments at specific places on a line in order to contribute information verifying the existence of specific energies

3) properties associated with the line, preferably custom properties because there's little consensus among the community as to what energies are called what. For example, I distinguish lines as being male (sun-related), female (moon-related) or neutral. Others might want to call them "energy leys" or "ley lines" or whatever.

4) ability to add photos to points on the line. Will give people the opportunity to quickly identify the specific location they are discussing and lead people to the right places on the line.

5) ability to include hyperlinks to other information sources such as Wikis, Megalithic Portal, Modern Antiquarian, Flickr, etc. If info already exists we should attach to it, rather than re-create it, eh?

I'm sure others have better suggestions than that!

As far as getting the input data into whatever database you put behind this system, I have no problems with an Excel worksheet or Access table as a means of doing that. Or even a flat text file, providing we know the format. If we knew the start and end points of a line could we then calculate the "in between" points automatically down to a particular level of granularity? How easy/difficult is that?

I would hope this would be a communal BSD project - I have no desire for something like this "for me alone". I think it would have more longevity as a communal project. People onyl need to contribute their time and effort then to maintain it.

What say all of you? Do we need a quick visual mock-up to see what might be possible here? Or have people got more vision than I do?

Vapour Trail.
Pudding

Post by Pudding »

HI again vapour

All these things are possible. My intention was to construct a user-maintained database for whatever info needs to be stored.

An interesting point you have made is that energies are interpreted in different ways by different people. It is possible to create layers with in Google Maps and show or hide them accordingly. With accurate positioning this could be a useful tool for comparing data.