INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Re: INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

Hi Nancy, Welcome to the Forum. Have emailed you.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Gray

Post by Gray »

Hi all, I am Gray a 72 year old male, recently joined BSD. Apart from one total flop wielding a coat hanger I have never dowsed or divined in my life. So I thank you for having me. My motives for requesting membership were influenced by a recent set of coincidences. From 1982 to 1987 my wife, son and daughter and I lived in Torquay Devon. For our leisure and pleasure we used to drive out to the Dartmoor villages which were just a hop and a skip away from home. Eventually I acquired an outdoor leisure ordnance survey map so that we could all decide which villages or sites to visit. also borrowing library books which eventually elbowed me into the world of leys, telluric energies, standing stones etc. The next step for me then was to find from the map,a leyline that I could easily navigate with map and compass, hopefully down a fairly untrodden path. So from the map I decided upon a three to four mile walk from a cross/roads. in Lusteigh to the village of Manaton on Dartmoor. On leaving the road my first path was a bridleway through deciduous woodland. Some of the first things I encountered apart from the trees were my first sighting of areas of large "fairy mushrooms". Red caps with white blotches,alias fly agaric, great start!. My compass then nudged me from the bridleway into open woodland which got denser by the minute. My heartbeat quickened, this was the real thing. I had never put my trust in a compass before and the way ahead was getting more tangled and tousled as I went along. I eventually came to a declining slope, I was no longer avoiding brambles and ferns but standing on them to make my way. I eventually came upon a commanding crop of granite then thirty yards or so down the incline was a stream straddled by large stones which I knew of as a clapper bridge. I could almost feel the inahibitants or the people who once travelled this way. I had silly notions of furs and bare feet. Then it was onwards and upwards to Manaton, arriving,full of enthusiasm. To cut an unrelevant History Short,. Moved to Cornwall, self employed 1987 to 2006. Then Lincolnshire until 2014. When we moved to our present location on the Isle of Wight. Whena Series of coincidences occurred, one of them being......Whilst on my Ebay A book popped up without asking via "World of books. It was called"Ancient energies of the Earth" by David Cowan and Ann Silk. Which I bought. So here I go again. Would be grateful for dowsing' equipment advice. Copper, silver plate,Coat hanger, Psychology, mindset. Any tips, best suppliers, etc Cheers Gray.
Last edited by Gray on Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

Welcome Gray- like your story...thanks!
Might be worth searching this forum...plenty of threads here on equipment. Basically, it doesn't matter a great deal- what matters is what works for you.
I use L rods, a pendulum and an aurameter- depending upon how I feel at the time. But coat hangers are fine, a bit of string with a wingnut on the end is fine. Eventually you may find deviceless dowsing works for you.
The BSD shop is a good source to start with.
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
DarkChestofWonders
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DarkChestofWonders »

Hi Gray,
Welcome to the forum.

A forum search for the Isle of Wight throws up about 4 pages of results so have a look around and see if you can find anything useful.

Dartmoor is a fascinating place to go dowsing, I'm a bit disappointed because I've just come back from a week there.

"Ancient energies of the Earth" by David Cowan and Ann Silk is another good read.

The BSD shop here https://www.britishdowsers.org/shop/ is a good source for all things dowsing. With rods and pendulums see if you can try them out first, you may get a feel for a particular type.

The Spine of Albion by Gary Biltcliffe and Caroline Hoare http://belinusline.com/index.php has a small section on the Isle of Wight and the website has more information, it is normally stocked by the BSD.
Gosport Dowsers have been tracing parts of the Belinus and Elen line between Portsmouth and Winchester on field trips this summer.

Dowsing is a fascinating subject with so many different avenues there is always something for everyone.

Hope this helps.
Alan
Sometimes things have to be believed to be seen
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Hi Gray and welcome to the Forum. I agree entirely with Simon’s comment about finding out What works for you. I use a pendulum consisting of a half inch diameter hexagonal nut on about 2 inches of string, also, two coat hangers mainly for dowsing below ground but also for following trails such as ley lines I do use deviceless dowsing when appropriate.

I know Dartmoor pretty well being a Devon man. Was told, years ago, that my first visit to the Moor was in 650 AD when I was part of a group forming a new settlement in a field about a mile south of Moretonhampstead. Having obtained permission from the owner of the field, I asked a local group of dowser to conduct a dowsing survey of the site and that produced a considerable amount of info. You may know that buildings that were erected ages ago but no longer exist, emit an energy that can be picked up with an KL-rod or two and a plan of all bulldings, srtanding stones can be surveyed, flags inserted in the ground at relevant points, distances measured and a site plan can be drawn to scale which was done here. About 800 AD the site was becoming quite crowded and several people left to rm new settlements comparatively
E locally

A few yeas ago a dowsing colleague and I regressed several of our friends (including a couple from the USA having dowsed that they were there then) to that site on Midsummer’s Eve in 930 AD. They all recognzed several people there then that they still know today.

Finally, I understand that my surname originated at a place just to the east of that field where there was a stream crossing a track (a ford). The “Stot” element probably came from the fact that the people in the settlement raised Stots (oxen) that they used to hire out in the early 11th Century. The corruption to Stutt was probably due to errors by scribes trying to understand local Devin dialects. I have discovered 37 different spellings of my surname in Devon Record Offices. That’s what dowsing can do for you, Gtay.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Gray

Post by Gray »

Hi Geoff, thank you for your welcoming reply to my intro'. Interesting stuff on this site. I came across by accident. Interesting background and anecdotes from yourself . Thanks. Cheers Gray.
Gray

Post by Gray »

Hi Alan, Thank you for your welcome, help and advice.Yes the Belinus line on the mainland and from my point of view, through central isle of wight seems worthy of humble exploration with a view to learning the ramifications of it's historical kinship with island energies and what they might mean.(Phew, what a mouthful...sorry.) Cheers Gray.
TN FireWalker
Beginner
Beginner

Post by TN FireWalker »

Gray, what a lovely journey you took us on. I'm very new to dowsing and excited about this Forum as well. It is very interesting and they are very helpful.
Sir, may I suggest you keep a journal of your travels as maybe someday you can write a book. Your words gave me a nice visual of your walk. The mushrooms jumped off the page. I bet it was a site.
Look forward to more of your exciting trips.
Nancy
Nancy
Gray

Re: Nancy from Arizona....

Post by Gray »

Hi Nancy, thank you for your message and your compliments . I relived the steps that I took those thirtyish years ago, with each sentence. The outward journey only took about two hours to the finishing line. I had been well fortified by the local tearoom with a mug of coffee and a scone with jam with clotted cream before I set off. I have read a wee bit about historical Arizona, rock art and cave paintings also the hopi community. It is a quarter to midnight (British summer time) as i write so goodnight Nancy. Graham.
siinvincible

Post by siinvincible »

Hi Gray,

I went on a dowsing weekend workshop with a lady called Judith Lock here on the Isle of Wight - well worth looking her up if you'd like to meet other local dowsers (she often leads short dowsing walks in various points on the island - I went on one with her from the Roman Villa following the Belinus up onto Brading Downs, and over to the 'Devil's Punchbowl' which is quite a place to visit for dowsing!).

I've been finding myself getting into using my 'dowsing sense' more recently, and only referring to a rod to confirm what I've picked up intuitively. It's felt great to develop that sense internally. Judith taught me that rods are like antennae - they're there as a tool, but we should work to strengthen that sense internally in a more ultimate sense.

Recently I went on a walk of the 'dragon line' of the Isle with a few companions - from Culver to the Needles (over four days with some camping along the way). It was amazing to walk along the energy lines, and feel the crossing of other lines along the way. For one reason or another, it feels to me like we've got very strong energy on the Isle, and so it's a great opportunity for us living here to come to understand earth energies more, and become more receptive to them.

If you're ever around the area, a good chance to cross a lay line at a pretty strong point is at Quarr Abbey, the line runs along the wall of the old abbey ruins (the wall nearest to the current abbey - thus the line actually goes right across the little road, and disappears down through fields).

Best regards,

Simon
Gray

Post by Gray »

Hi Simon, thanks for your answer to my intro' and your introduction to Judith. I will definitely contact her when I receive my compass and L rods. I have never dowsed before. I have a good feeling of encouragement from the members replies. As you say we are fortunate to live on a small island with such an abundance of leys and sites. Interesting about the Roman villa. All of the villas and Roman architecture seem to run adjacent to a ley? Just come off a web site this morning. www.jiroolcot.com/meet_jirohtml (link broken). He briefly explained the subject very well. He is a member of BDS but I don't think he has posted. I shall be trying Quarr Abbey, thanks for pointing out the inner location and for your help. Cheers Graham.
Tina

Post by Tina »

Hi I'm new to dowsing but i'm really excited about it and interested to learn more I have been researching a reading so much in the last few weeks. I have lots of questions but first could some one tell me if the longitude and latitude lines that you find on a globe are representing Ley lines in the earth?
Thanks

Tina :)
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Tina wrote:Hi I'm new to dowsing but i'm really excited about it and interested to learn more I have been researching a reading so much in the last few weeks. I have lots of questions but first could some one tell me if the longitude and latitude lines that you find on a globe are representing Ley lines in the earth?
Hi Tina, welcome to the forum. The short answer to your question is "no". Longitude and latitude lines are cartographic conventions, nothing more. But if you have Google Earth installed, have a look at the UVG grid placemark by Bethe Hagens. There does seem to be some correspondence with major long-distance global leys, e.g. the Michael or Apollo lines.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Hi Tina,

As you probably know, there are several kinds of lines that can be found, using L-rods, both below and above ground, including so called Ley Lines. Some being straight, others curved. Many years ago I wondered what a Ley Line actually was so dowsed several theories as to what they were with the following result – A Ley Line is a path used over many years by people and/or animals between two visible landmarks, the path being usually the shortest distance between those landmarks. Some of these paths were created many thousands of years ago.

Now, this is the odd thing – I also dowsed that it is not possible to find any Ley Line on a map, also that a Ley Line, unlike other lines, does not produce any energy although it can be traced on the ground.
I have never been able to find out why this should be so. Does anyone have an answer ?

I must admit that, although I have fond, on a map and on the ground, lines representing many different kinds of energy, I have never found a Ley Lne.
Geoff

simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

You may find this link of interest.
Or look at Earth Energy sections - or Archaeology- in this Forum. And no- lines on a globe are different
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon