Mitchell's Fold (stone circle in Shropshire, England)

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Mitchell's Fold (stone circle in Shropshire, England)

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

More particularly, Mitchells Fold. Last time I was there I walked into the circle from the south side through a gap in the few stones that remain, took out an L-rod and attempted to exit the circle by the way I entered it but was diverted by the rod to the eastern entrance/exit. The same thing happened wherever I entered the circle. It was if there was an instruction to say 'this is the way you should go in and also go out'.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this either there or at another circle.

Edited by I.P. 6.3.09 - split from Stellarium thread
Edited by I.P. 15.5.09 - amended the title
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Re: Mitchell's Fold

Post by arthur hamlin »

My dowsing is saying that Mitchells Fold has an ancient trackway made by humans and the energies are flowing according to the direction in which they walked.
Arthur
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Hi Arthur,

That's confrrmed.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

There may well be an ancient track way though this circle but that trackway ran south to north and is still used by walkers. Once I had entered the circle, I was being directed, using the rod, to the eastern entrance/exit as the way out and that meant a turn of 90 degrees from the trackway. It therefore seems that a property of that particular circle was equivalent to a kind of energy barrier; once inside the circle, there was only one way out and I felt impelled to follow the direction that the rod was pointing. I have not encountered this property at Stanton Drew or at other stone circles.

What I'm getting, as far as Mitchell's Fold is concerned, is that those who erected the circle used thought forms to create this 'energy barrier' to prevent people walking through the circle rather than round it and defining the correct way to enter and exit the circle. Rather like erecting a roundabout in the middle of the trackway but showing where the entrance and exit was to those who were sensitive enough to look for it. The only reason I can find for erecting the circle in the middle of a trackway was to make it easy to find.

There is a panoramic view of what is left cf the circle at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/panoram ... ndex.shtml

For the weird legends associated with Mitchell's Fold, see

http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/feature ... fold.shtml
Geoff

arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Post by arthur hamlin »

Further dowsing reveals that these stones were placed here approx 8,000 years ago, at a time of stone worshiping. Am told they were placed in specific locations and to know the time of the winter solstice by sunlight penetrating through a hole of a stone and being cast on a squarish stone almost flush in the ground which in turn had human blood painted in a circle on it.
I`m told this blood was usually from a male stillborn child and would denote the end of life for that year.
As one or two stone worshippers entered from the south they would meet a line of approx 80 people locating themselves from east to west. The only exit for them was a right angle turn to the east to denote the new life to come.
Arthur
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Ah ! Thanks, Arthur. My dowsing confirms yours except for there being 'stone worshippers' around.
I also find that the 'ceremony' you describe was enacted at solstices and equinoxes between about 5,500 and 6,200 BCE so it would seem that the 'energy' of that ceremony is still present in some form enabling me to pick it up with an L-rod, but I hadn't a clue what it was.
Geoff
Geoff

arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Post by arthur hamlin »

I`m further told that the oak tree was worshipped here prior to the stone worshippers.
Dowsing tells me that there were stone worshippers here in East Anglia. Many flints were collected and placed in a pile.
The tribes people would than stand around and pay homage for their lives etc.
Arthur
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Post by Ian Pegler »

There are some great piccies of Mitchell's Fold on the Megalithic Portal.

A handfasting ceremony took place there in 2008. CLICK HERE to see the piccies.

There's so much going on at this place. I see it as part of the larger spiritual landscape - one "cog" in the larger mechanism, if you like. Just look at all the different things in the locality e.g. Corndon Hill, the Tumuli, the destroyed circle at Druid's Castle, the Pillow Mounds - there's so much in one place.

As Paul Devereux said;
Never put a fence around a sacred site.
(I remembered this from the field trip to the Rollrights, BSD Conference 2007)

In other words we should examine the spiritual landscape in toto. I believe that's certainly true of Mitchell's Fold.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Post by Ian Pegler »

I recently discovered that Paul Devereux has documented magnetic anomalies at Mitchell's Fold. (see Places of Power, Paul Devereux, Blandford Press, 1999 pp. 118-121)

When I was trying to produce my Stellarium landscape for Mitchell's Fold I originally based my orientation on a simple compass bearing taken at the centre of the circle. But when I tried to reconcile this compass bearing to Google Maps and the angles between my various GPS waypoints I discovered that the compass bearing was out by a full eight degrees !!!

Once I'd shunted the landscape around to take account of this, many things clicked into place.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Post by Ian Pegler »

Mitchell's Fold is a Flattened A type circle (details HERE) as defined by the late Alexander Thom.

I managed to dig out the survey done by Thom at Mitchell's Fold and reproduce the same geometry on a more recent survey. This still works fairly well. I wonder if I would have been able to do this if I hadn't had Thom's survey to hand...? Hmmm...

On a previous visit I'd asked the rods to take me to the centre of the circle. It took me to a point slightly north of where someone had lit a fire. This turns out to be exactly where the main axes on Thom's survey cross (!)

Ian
Kevin
Novice
Novice

Post by Kevin »

All of the stone circle sites I have been to, and that is a lot, have had two points within them where a multitude of lines cross, the result of this is that each point has a dominant arrangement of concentration of lines that form a cross, the acrual lines that this cross feature is centred about then become highly charged with the contnts of all the lines, especially the one close aside these forming the cross.
The two points then form parallel pathways between the two cross features.
One of the points will spiral clockwise , the other anti-clockwise.

If You then walk within these pathways you will detect a zig zag pattern of lines aprox at 45 degrees to each wall created by the cross lines, if you dowse these carefully you will find that they curve as they meet the walls, anmd that if you turn around that another self same zig zag will be in between the origonal, if you draw this out i9t is DNA twin spiral feature.

The width of the two crosses apart determines the zig zag pattern( Harmonic)
The main direction is to the four cardinal directions , but not compass, the north/south direction been magnetic, the east/west one electromagnetic, a further alignment can be detected between these which I detect as electrogravitic.

The distance that the two points are apart will always match the fibonacci sequence in inchs, that is, 21,34,55,89,144,233 etc.
The shape of the so called circle is determined by the interferance pattern created by these opposing fields,the stones are sited to accumulate in series this interferance pattern, if there are three such points, or four such points, the interferance pattern will be determined by the relative strength of each field , the nazca lines will be exactly these interferance patterns followed by the people sensitive to them, that is , DOWSERS, especially those that wear no shoes or organic material shoes.
Kevin
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Post by Ian Pegler »

Thom's geometry as applied to Mitchell's Fold:

As previously mentioned, this is a Flattened type A geometry. The main axes are at an angle of about 16 degrees clockwise from the cardinal points. The northern "half" is a perfect hemisphere. The southern "half" is the flattened end.

There are a lot of stones missing at this site. It is thought that there were once more than 30 stones but now there just 16 which includes a few very small and barely visible.

A survey was done in the mid 90's (I have a copy, thanks to shaunb for sending me this) which, like Thom's plan, shows 16 stones and numbers them clockwise, with the North-facing stone as number one. I will follow this convention.

The axis which runs NNE-SSW is not currently marked by anything. Moreover, the other main axis WNW to ESE only goes through stone no 14 and the other falls between stones 7 and 8. Of the four remaining lines on Thom's plan none are marked by any currently existing stones.

A straight line drawn through stones 16 and 10 would be about parallel to the "Sun line" as described in part one of my article (Dowsing Today, April 2009) which runs at 159 degrees azimuth from true North, but this line doesn't correspond with Thom's geometry and misses the centre.

Also, Thom's plan doesn't mark any astronomical alignments, which I feel fairly certain must have been an important feature of this site.

Is there a case for adjusting Thom's geometry?

Ian
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Post by Ian Pegler »

Well, okay. I've been experimenting with this idea and this is what I've come up with.

First, here is an image of Thom's original geometry as applied to Mitchell's Fold.

Bear in mind that what follows is all very theoretical, to be taken with a small pinch of salt...

It quickly became evident that by rotating the geometrical form clockwise by just 10 degrees, things begin to click into place - for me at least. So here is my own modified version:

You will note that the lines generated by the geometry now touch three stones instead of just one. Stones 12 and 13 now fall a little way outside but over all I still think it's a good fit. It would be surprising if there wasn't some shift in the position of the stones over the course of time, not least because of medieval ploughing, vandalism etc.

The line which now touches stone no. 5 points to the equinox sunrise as it was in 2000 BC. Here is part of a screenshot from Stellarium:

(note: the position of the vernal and autumnal equinoxes is the same for both)

The Mid Summer sunrise is close to Stapeley Hill (the black blob is the Moon):

Here is an image of the Mid Winter sunrise (colour-balance has been modified to make it clearer):

Bear in mind that the accuracy of this in part will depend on the Stellarium landscape image, amongst other things.

Ian

Edited by I.P. 25.2.10 - made a few corrections, updated images
Edited by I.P. 14.3.10 - changed Pillow Mounds to Stapeley Hill
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Re: Mitchell's Fold (stone circle in Shropshire, England)

Post by Ian Pegler »

I recently created a new landscape for Mitchell's Fold which shifts the centre of observation to Thom's centre of geometry (i.e. where all the "spokes" on the diagram converge, my modified geometry uses exactly the same central point)

This makes a big difference to astronomical observations. For example the largest stone (no. 8. ) is now shifted 15 degrees along the local horizon.

The two images below both represent the position of the Sun at Mitchell's Fold during the same moment in time on the same day (ignore the filenames, it's not the Vernal equinox!)

ImageImage

The Azimuth and Altitude of the Sun is the same in both versions, effectively it's only the relative position of the stone that has changed. The effect is quite large because the stone is relatively very close.

So in the new landscape, based on Thom's geometrical centre, most of the alignments previously mentioned are no longer marked by the stones. The big exception is the mid-winter sunrise and sunset, which are now marked by stones 9 and 13 as observed from Thom's centre.

What you see is a question of where you stand...(so true in life, don't you agree? :mrgreen:)

Ian

Edited by I.P. 25.2.10 - made correction
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Mitchell's Fold (stone circle in Shropshire, England)

Post by Grahame »

Interesting point, Ian; and it just goes to show how important it is to have a distant, and distinctive foresight for your alignment.
In many cases, I've found that you can get a better alignment by sighting across the circle, using two opposite stones as a back-and mid-sight. This can be very precise if you sight along the right-hand side of the nearest and the left-hand side of the farther stone (or vice versa). You often find particular notches in stones that will align significantly in this way.
There are two stones in Callanish for instance, that provide an excellent alignment for the summer solstice sunrise when used such as I describe. That's not a celestial event that Callanish is particularly designed to observe otherwise:

I've exaggerated the gap in that photo for effect, but you can be pretty precise with it and it marks the exact spot on the horizon where the sun comes up.

Alas, this is always going to be a limitation in Stellarium because of the need for a central camera position; unless the stone circle is specifically designed for a central viewpoint, as is the case with my Sighthill stones where there is such a central stone. You can't see it in the Stellarium landscape of course, because that's where the camera was sitting... :lol:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.