Dowsing in "Herge's Adventures of Tintin"

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Dowsing in "Herge's Adventures of Tintin"

Post by Grahame »

The video is quite interesting with the Tintin animations - sadly my Spanish isn't up to understanding what they are saying! :lol:
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Ian Pegler
Professional
Professional

Post by Ian Pegler »

Grahame wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:04 pm The video is quite interesting with the Tintin animations - sadly my Spanish isn't up to understanding what they are saying! :lol:
Google Translator is your friend... :)

Ian
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

Here's an interesting post from Historic Environment Scotland about the inspirations for the Scottish scenes in 'The Black Island'.
https://blog.historicenvironment.scot/2 ... ck-island/

I hadn't realised that the artwork had been changed in subsequent editions:
In the 1938 version, Kiltoch contained half-timbered houses which were more common in England than in Scotland.
Fortunately, I have the 1966 one. However, there are only three panels with exterior village scenes, and I think the writer is stretching credibility with the following statements:
External stairways and what could be the square tower of a tollbooth are reminiscent of this view in Dysart.
There is an external stair visible in the main 'street scene' panel, and the corner building could conceivably be a tower, but they are not the same building.
One inspiration for Craig Dhui Castle would certainly have been Kisimul Castle, an island fortress visible from Castlebay.
Really? The only similarity is that both castles are on an island. Visually, they are nothing alike.

Still, it remains one of my favourite Tintin books, and it certainly seems to have helped Herge's reputation.
It’s interesting to note that some experts believe that The Black Island was a turning point for Tintin’s adventures. In this book, Hergé’s portrayal of Scotland was more favourable and balanced that other “foreign” countries Tintin had ventured up to that point.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.