Ayahuasca and Amazonian Shamanism

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Ayahuasca and Amazonian Shamanism

Post by Lyndon Ronstadt »

Here's something that might interest the intrepid planet hoppers among us. I stumbled on this while looking for healing plants. I dowse that the two plants which form the constituents of Ayahuasca are NOT hallucinogenic but rely for their effect on the balancing of our etheric envelopes.
Ayahuasca is one of the most powerful and well-known natural entheogens known to Man. It is an Amazonian plant concoction that has been used for centuries, possibly millennia by native Indian and more recently mestizo shamans across the upper Amazon throughout Peru, Columbia, Ecuador and Brazil. Over 40 other names for this sacred medicine are known including caapi, natema, mihi, and yage.

The name Ayahuasca comes from Quechua, a widely spoken South American language found throughout the Amazon: aya means “soul” or “spirits” and huasca means “vine”, therefore translating to “vine of the soul” or “vine of the spirits”.

Ayahuasca is made from the Ayahuasca vine (Banisteriopsis caapi) and the leaf of the chacruna plant (Psychotria viridis). Both of these plants are collected from the jungle to create a potent mixture that offers the drinker access to the realm of spirits and an energetic world that exists around us all of which we are typically not able to perceive in daily life.

It is a mystery how the Amazonian shamans learnt to combine these two plants in order to prepare this profound medicine as individually taken; they are more or less inert. In chemical terms, the leafy chacruna contains the powerful psychoactive dimethyletryptamine (DMT) which is not orally active but is metabolized by the stomach enzyme monoamine oxidase (MAO). However, certain chemicals within the Ayahuasca vine contain MAO inhibitors in the form of harmine compounds which inhibit the action of the MAO in the medicine and result in a psychoactive compound that has an identical chemical makeup to the organic tryptamines in our brains. This then results in the mixture circulating through the bloodstream into the brain where it triggers powerful visionary experiences and enables us to access otherworldly realms.
If any of you find yourselves in that part of the world in the near future perhaps you'd consider bringing back a sackful. :P
Harri
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Ayahuasca and Amazonian Shamanism

Post by Harri »

Amazonian Shamanism retreats sound like a fun holiday, specially if you've got at least 6 months to spare! Seems Ayahuasca is another cure for cancer.
http://www.biopark.org/peru/ayacancer.html
Maybe Julian Graves' can be persuaded to stock it :lol: (customer demand managed to get them to restock apricot kernels.)
Harri
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science.
(Einstein)
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

Post by Geoff Stuttaford »

I have been told, by a friend, that Ayahuasca is obtainable in the UK but its application needs to be supervised by a shaman. I'm now trying to obtain further info.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Post by Grahame »

I would do a bit more research on DMT before trying to obtain Ayahuasca in the UK. The thought of spending some hours projectile vomiting before you get to the good bits is not my idea of a pleasant evening. There are other native entheogens containing DMT that do the same job without the drama.
Try reading the works of the late Terence McKenna for more information. I would particularly recommend the book 'True Hallucinations', which is the account of his first attempted encounters with Ayahuasca in the jungles of South America - it is fascinating reading.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Thanks Harri, Geoff and Grahame. I have never had an interest in 'tripping' on hallucinogenics and I'm not going to start now. But perspective shifting if it gives us access to higher knowledge without loss of our reasoning faculty is, I think, worth pursuing. Its fortunate the current banned substances give us access only to the 1st or 2nd etheric subplanes when for real knowledge we need access to the 3rd.

Geoff, I think you'll find its the preparation of Ayahuasca that needs supervision, not its use. The perspective shifting agent of the active ingredient is its essence and not the chemical compound itself. The chemical compound is the thing that does the damage to our physiology in most so called hallucinogenics: its therefore important to minimise the effect of the chemical component(s) of Ayahuasca.

Essence is etheric and comes in four grades corresponding to the four etheric sub-planes. Each of us has a physical body (vehicle) and a number of subtle bodies (envelopes) composed of etheric substance. There is the physical envelope, the desire envelope and the mental envelope composed of the substance of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd etheric subplanes respectively (counting upwards). These four bodies (vehicle plus envelopes)are surrounded by a sphere of the 4th etheric subplane which is called the Body of Manifestation.

The essence of plants effects these bodies in one of three ways: either by balancing them, nourishing them or stimulating them in some way.

Each plant has seven parts: root, inner stem, outer stem, leaf, fruit, seed and flower.

Each of these parts has four constituents: juice, pulp, aroma and an energy which is obtained from the energy configuration of the environment. All four yield essence on one of the four etheric levels.

The essence of each constituent demands a different method of extraction which if conducted carefully minimises the transfer of harmful chemical substances.

To use plants effectively in health, nutrition and perspective shifts we need to know which plant part and which constituent of that part yields the essence we require. And, as if to make life even more complicated, cures for diseases and ailments require not one, but five essences to bring about the required change.

In light of this one can see why the use of Ayahuasca needs supervision, and that bad trips are the result of our ignorance in the use of the very special properties of plants.
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

(L) Geoff, I think you'll find its the preparation of Ayahuasca that needs supervision, not its use. The perspective shifting agent of the active ingredient is its essence and not the chemical compound itself. The chemical compound is the thing that does the damage to our physiology in most so called hallucinogenics: its therefore important to minimise the effect of the chemical component(s) of Ayahuasca.

(G) I expect you have had a look at Youtube's contribution to Ayahuasca sags where, as you say, the preparation is accompanied by chanting but I'm also advised (and got confirnation by dowsing) that supervision is also required by a competant shaman during the 'trip' itself. Present info is that the process of taking the concoction can be had in Totnes (which is fast becoming the successor to Glastonbury by the looks of things) There is also the theory that Ayahuasca cures everything.
Geoff

Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel (Polonius)
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

As Ayahuasca gives access to the 1st etheric subplane which is the home of involutionary entities - elementals, nature spirits etc - as well as evolutionary forms, shamanic supervision on a trip would seem to be essential. I'm not drawn to ceremony so, unless research inicates its absolute necessity, I'll avoid group endeavour if and when the imperative to experiment presents itself.

I did a quick internet search for Ayahuasca. It was depressing. Wikipedia seems to be the only haven of sanity on the subject, the rest I would categorise as mystical mumbo-jumbo.

I suspect, as usual, the serious research is being done on the qt by the few with analytic skills while the many (with experiential skills) are left to thresh around unsupervised until they succeed in getting another potentially useful gift of nature added to the list of banned substances.

My 'brief' seems to be with the healing properties of these plants rather than identification of other 'benefits'. I hope and believe its possible to access other planes of existence, by various means, without sacrificing ones objectivity but, should the need for empiric investigation arise, I think I'll make the 3rd etheric subplane (which holds no involutionary beings) my point of departure.

I still believe my original link leads to those with useful knowledge of Ayahuasca but have yet to discover UK practitioners who's activities and knowledge dowse as being of use to the serious investigator.
Geoff Stuttaford
Silver Supporter
Silver Supporter
Competent
Competent

(L) "I still believe my original link leads to those with useful knowledge of Ayahuasca but have yet to discover UK practitioners who's activities and knowledge dowse as being of use to the serious investigator."

Hi Lyndon

I hope to get some more details of a practitioner (probably in Totnes) from someone I am due to meet in Wells on the 20th Feb.

I'm presently running a group of people each of whom has had at least 10 incarnations as shamans and more as Medicine Men/Women. We are actively engaged in helping Nature in the UK and Ireland. Several of us have had visions confirming that we are having some effect. I have dowsed that some of us (including me) would benefit from the ayahuaska experience which is why I'm making enquiries - basic only at this stage.
Geoff

Harri
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Harri »

Lyndon,
Have you come across writers such as William Buhlman who wrote Adventures Beyond the Body?
He writes about, "controlled interdimensional movement" and (while out of body) "firmly demands" things such as "I experience the next dimention now" as well as suggesting the usual removal of energy blocks such as hate, fear, anger... then being able to "enhance our internal vibrational rate by making a sincere request" enabling the exploration of the "higher realms."
I feel that there may be different ways to reach the necessary state, possibly portals, plant essences/drugs, meditation, sounds... drumming/ binaural beats... being lead by a being when the time is right for an individual...
I suppose some people's path may lead them to Ayahuasca... and some to other routes.
Harri
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science.
(Einstein)
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

Geoff, I'll be very interested to learn the results of your researches and your experiences with Ayahuasca. I'm not a shaman but have read Douglas Monroe - who apparently is - and have taken onboard his plea in the epilogue of his The Lost Books of Merlyn to awaken the trees.

Harri, yes I've read Buhlman and found his acounts of his other worldly travels interesting and informative. I've taken onboard his method of stating clearly his intent when out of the body but I'm interested in the extension of perspective to other planes rather than its transference. If you read the legend of Llyn y Fan Fach, the lady of the lake came to the young farmer and not the reverse. I assume from this that one can contact other planes while having ones perceptions still planted in terra firma.

I'm keen to distinguish between expansions and transferences of perspective (consciousness) and between consciousness and bodily transfers. They may involve separate phenomena and processes.
Harri
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Harri »

Lyndon,
I see what you mean. Some of it must be in peoples' terminology as well as different experiences. I think Frank Kepple's "phasing" where you stay in one place and tune into different "focuses" is exactly the same as what others would call astral projection. Certainly when "astral" people can perceive things how they expect to experience them which makes comparing experiences infinately variable and hard to tell if they are fundamentally the same or not.
I think it's Frank Kepple again who talks about "overlays" of "focuses" that would perhaps be one way of explaining meeting otherworldly maidens in one's usual waking life.
Harri
(Einstein)
Lyndon Ronstadt
Novice
Novice

We're told that the whole of creation is the consolidation of the thought form of a self conscious entity. If this is true, common sense should tell us that we cannot alter that thought form in its entirety, only those localised aspects of it which, by design, fall within our remit. Consequently there must be a large part of creation over which we have no control and which forms the 'ground state' for our perceptions. We cannot build a body of knowledge on transient phenomena until we have mastered the laws applicable to that which is relatively permanent.
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Post by Satyr »

Personally I don't like using any kind of plant to get into a trace state, I find it easy enough to get into with Drumming or deep meditation. I do understand why people will use the plants as it seems to be a much easier quicker route (and the visions seem rather more 'way out'), but from what I've read, it can also be rather dangerous if things are not done correctly.
Practice random acts of kindness
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

Post by simonwheeler »

Satyr wrote:Personally I don't like using any kind of plant to get into a trace state, I find it easy enough to get into with Drumming or deep meditation. I do understand why people will use the plants as it seems to be a much easier quicker route (and the visions seem rather more 'way out'), but from what I've read, it can also be rather dangerous if things are not done correctly.
Again, I find myself in agreement with Satyr. Meditation and drumming work for me, too. I'm not sure that the direct physical change caused by plants- or any drugs- is always a good idea. How do you trust the result? Whereas I feel drumming may alter consciousness without the physical impact. Which, I suppose, raises questions about consciousness. All I know is what my experience is- and that is that I can go on shamanistic journeys through meditation and drumming.
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Satyr
Novice
Novice

Post by Satyr »

I'm with you there Simon. I much prefer the natural route. Okay, okay, I know plants are natural but in this case, their effects are not really natural to us and I kinda prefer to be more in control of my facilities, more coherent, when working in trance so I can take better note of what I see and experience.
Practice random acts of kindness