Community in shock as Holy Thorn in Glastonbury desecrated

Ask a dowsing question, tell us your gossip, chat etc. here!
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Re: Community in shock as Holy Thorn in Glastonbury desecrat

Post by Ian Pegler »

There is an internet rumour that the Glastonbury thorn is beginning to grow again.

Happy Equinox.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

I just noticed this bit of detail for the first time:
The owner of Wearyall Hill is Edward James, 70, who was arrested this week in connection with the collapse of Crown Currency Exchange, of which he is a major shareholder. The company, which has 8,000 creditors, collapsed in October, owing 16 million UKP.

One possibility is that the attack may have been part of a vendetta against Mr James, who is on police bail.
CLICK HERE to read the report.

Ian
arthur hamlin
Competent
Competent

Post by arthur hamlin »

I seemed to have read this back in December 2010 possibly from this site - perhaps more details are being disclosed.
Arthur
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Hi Arthur

It was just a bit of detail that I missed; it's not mentioned in the story I linked to at the top of this thread but it has been reported elsewhere before. I'm sure many people still don't know about it.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

I just found the Facebook page for the Glastonbury Thorn, with a shot of the new grow that appeared at the Spring Equinox:

CLICK HERE for the Facebook page.

CLICK HERE for news about the Thorn.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

from MailOnline...
Killed off after 2,000 years: Glastonbury's vandalised Holy Thorn Tree must be replaced after 'trophy hunters' snap off its new shoots

A sacred tree which came back to life after it was nearly destroyed by vandals must now be replaced - thanks to trophy hunters who have broken off its new shoots.

The Holy Thorn Tree in Glastonbury Somerset - which can trace its roots back 2,000 years to the death of Jesus - had its branches hacked off in December last year.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

I question the fact that it's 2000 years old!! Makes a good story, but not actually true.
ledgehammer
Competent
Competent

Post by ledgehammer »

Helen,

I think it was an ancestor of the original tree, this may be what the "trace the roots" bit meant?

One of the energy lines which flows through the tor and the Chalice gardens runs through the spot of the tree, but we couldnt find it so I was unable to confirm this!

Tom
The universe is a soul, trying to understand itself.... We each have the power to look inward at its immense beauty....
simonwheeler
Copper Supporter
Copper Supporter
Proficient
Proficient

The mystery over who attacked the Holy Thorn Tree

Post by simonwheeler »

Update (?) on the BBC website
The thorn tree, however, is not all that it seems. The one that was cut down was definitely not planted by Joseph of Arimathea, but by a council official in the summer of 1951, to commemorate the Festival of Britain.
In fact, that one died due to drought, and was secretly replaced a few months later.
I found a small piece of it in a surprising place - the Covenstead Bed and Breakfast, whose owner is a witch, Adele Clough.
and yesterday:
The new Holy Thorn tree will to be protected by a steel cage.
also on the BBC site
Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out. LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

www.simongordonwheeler.co.uk

Simon
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Also this iplayer link to a recent radio-broadcast. Interesting...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... oly_Thorn/

Ian
Helen-Healing
Competent
Competent

Post by Helen-Healing »

I just listened to the whole of that broadcast - very interesting. Of course, I have been to Glastonbury & all the venues around it, as have many of you, and it's definitely a very special magical place.

I was impressed by the narrator's matter-of-fact tone of voice - no sarcasm or disbelief was allowed to slip in! The interviews with Christian ministers of various denominations was an eye opener too - I suppose, really, at Glastonbury they have to go by the old adage 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'!! They are rather in a minority there after all!

I was surprised at (the mayor's?) comment about the ribbons & other stuff attached to the railing around the thorn tree - he said he'd never seen this before. This kind of thing happens everywhere...even at the Ankerwycke Yew, in the middle of nowhere! - there are votive offerings on the tree & its branches, and when I visited the Coldrum Stones in kent recently, there were all sorts of things hanging on a nearby tree. See here. I don't think the Mayor's very clued up!

Thank you for that link, Ian.
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Just spotted this YouTube video from 2011...

Ian
Last edited by Grahame on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added media embed codes
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

from itv.com...
New 'Holy Thorn' for Glastonbury

A new tree descended from Glastonbury's vandalised Holy Thorn is to be planted in the town this afternoon. The sapling has been grown from cuttings taken after the famous thorn on Wearyall Hill was cut down by vandals in December 2010.
CLICK HERE to read the article.

Ian
Ian Pegler
Expert
Expert

Post by Ian Pegler »

Just read a facebook message from Sig Lonegren saying the Glastonbury Thorn has been vandalised again.

Ian
Grahame
Site Admin
Site Admin
Proficient
Proficient

Re: Community in shock as Holy Thorn in Glastonbury desecrated

Post by Grahame »

Holy Thorn removed 'by landowner', says council
Somerset Live wrote:Glastonbury's famous Holy Thorn was "removed by the landowner", according to the town council.
The historic tree of religious significance was "destroyed" last week, in what was thought to be an act of vandalism.
However, Glastonbury Town Council has said in a statement today (May 28) that the tree on Wearyall Hill was intentionally removed by the owner of the land.
Nothing to do with the plan to build houses on the site then, hmmm?

Click here for the full report.
Grahame
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it - Terry Pratchett.